10+ Year Old Account

Which Tank class has the most viability in PVP when alone? (no DK)

Rolling a char on my alt server and I'm trying to narrow down class. I play all 4 tanks at max level so I want something that I am comfortable with. I haven't PVP'd much in the past year though so I need a class that I don't require a lot of support with so that I can do randoms without a pocket healer. So onto the question...

Between only Pally, Warrior, and Druid, which of the 3 has the most self sufficiency in PVP? Which one is stronger alone that the others? Try to discount stealth as much as possible as I don't want to only be capable when I have the opener. And, no, I won't be PVPing IN the tank spec, just want to have it for when I am doing PVE dungeons.
    TAZI-BEAR ... da Beast

10+ Year Old Account
    Druid, no doubt
    A proper geared druid is almost as hard to kill as a blood dk and also allows you to do a decent amount of damage in catform.
    Also, with the upcoming vengeance nerf, all tanks will lose a lot of damage while ferals have the ability to swap to cat and still do good damage.

Ret is best for your purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Ret is best for your purposes.
    Good jokes.

Feral Druid is a good option. They're fun to play as well.

In order of most solo survivability to least, I'd say Druid > Paladin > Warrior.

I would agree with the order above. Druid x 1000000 its always nice to have the dmg from cat, then when you get low on hp go bear and pop frenzied regen and piss off the guy trying to kill you

Yep. Warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by Malgru View Post

Yep. Warrior.
    I love his the opening fight is him vs. 3 guyss in lvl 80 greens or no gear at all, definitely no resilience with their 99k-125k health and terrible damage... I see a lot of these guys in BGs and they are a joke, yet he still managed to die to them when they respawn (though he was kind enough to edit that out). Then we see him surviving as a prot warrior that's getting healed while fighting more 115k health people, yeah real impressive 5/5.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarts View Post
    Good jokes.

Feral Druid is a good option. They're fun to play as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    In order of most solo survivability to least, I'd say Druid > Paladin > Warrior.
    He says he doesn't want a class that needs a stealth opener.

Deleted
    Solo = DK (by an absolute mile) > Feral druid > Prot Pally > Prot Warrior
    Pocket healer = DK (by an absolute mile) > Feral druid > Prot Warrior > Prot Pally

Quote Originally Posted by tinkabela View Post
    Solo = DK (by an absolute mile) > Feral druid > Prot Pally > Prot Warrior
    Pocket healer = DK (by an absolute mile) > Feral druid > Prot Warrior > Prot Pally
    He didn't ask about a tank spec to pvp with, he just wants a class with a tank spec, that has an offspec good for solo queue in random bgs. (Hope, I've got it right - sheesh).

I would recommend Ret or Feral. Ferals have really high survivability and mobility, while Rets have high support and (still) good burst.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arazen View Post
    He didn't ask about a tank spec to pvp with, he just wants a class with a tank spec, that has an offspec good for solo queue in random bgs. (Hope, I've got it right - sheesh).

I would recommend Ret or Feral. Ferals have really high survivability and mobility, while Rets have high support and (still) good burst.
    This was intent, yes.

Sure a high geared Prot warrior can kill plenty of crappy geared people but as most who responded took into account, I wanted something that doesn't have to PVP in its Tank spec, and something that was only good vs crappy geared people. I tried that on my Blood DK and just did not enjoy it. Killing someone because you can survive for 5 mins until they run out of mana or get bored and give up is not fun. I just like to tank in PVE and wanted to make sure that what I played had a Tank spec. Working a Pally and Druid for now. I don't want to have to rely on stealth, but if the survivability is good enough when caught out of it, then I don't mind the druid as I do enjoy stealth and having track is dead useful when you're scouting or stuck working alone when in a random.

Thanks for replies.
    TAZI-BEAR ... da Beast

Quote Originally Posted by Tazienne View Post
    This was intent, yes.

Sure a high geared Prot warrior can kill plenty of crappy geared people but as most who responded took into account, I wanted something that doesn't have to PVP in its Tank spec, and something that was only good vs crappy geared people. I tried that on my Blood DK and just did not enjoy it. Killing someone because you can survive for 5 mins until they run out of mana or get bored and give up is not fun. I just like to tank in PVE and wanted to make sure that what I played had a Tank spec. Working a Pally and Druid for now. I don't want to have to rely on stealth, but if the survivability is good enough when caught out of it, then I don't mind the druid as I do enjoy stealth and having track is dead useful when you're scouting or stuck working alone when in a random.

Thanks for replies.
    Sounds like Feral then. Bear survivability is something a lot of people (escpecially melee players) complain about. If you feel like it, you can spec 18% less damage in bear form for only two talent points. Rets survivability outside of bubble is pretty low, but they have really strong offheals, making them more of a choice for the team player. Feral utilizes their support more in a indirect way, by rooting and cycloning enemies, since their heals are not strong.

Ferals don't RELY on stealth as much as a rogue. It is an advantage, but not a necessity. You have 10s cooldown on your stun and also have bear stun on demand, so you do not rely on your stun opener, while a rogue has to get 5 combo points in order to be able to stun, after a failed opener. You don't have something like Find Weakness (reducing enemy armor after opener) and have way more damage through bleed dots.

Deleted
    Feral druid, because they're so good right now in basically any aspect of PvP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Prot warriors are shit. Don't let anyone sugercoat you with lies. Warriors in general are pretty pointless in pvp outside bladestorm and 3-stun charge.

Arms warriors make better flag runners because of lower charge cooldown and bladestorm immunity.

Ferals are OP as fuck when it comes to "tanking" in pvp, especially compared to the others after the vengeance change gutting tank-pvp damage.

Paladins also have a lot of nice tools that aren't pigeonheld into a spec.
    Last edited by ImpTaimer; 2012-01-15 at 11:53 PM.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

I'm a prot warrior and my survivability is not the greatest by myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Funkthepunk View Post
    Feral druid, because they're so good right now in basically any aspect of PvP.
    Just dont forget to purchase a flea collar

Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    I love his the opening fight is him vs. 3 guyss in lvl 80 greens or no gear at all, definitely no resilience with their 99k-125k health and terrible damage... I see a lot of these guys in BGs and they are a joke, yet he still managed to die to them when they respawn (though he was kind enough to edit that out). Then we see him surviving as a prot warrior that's getting healed while fighting more 115k health people, yeah real impressive 5/5.
    Say hi to Rallying Cry + Regen = 60k+ Healing & 90k Victory Rushes.