Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Where is all the hype?

Every mmo, even the ones that looked absolutely mediocre, had some sort of hype this close to release. With closed beta underway, with release most likely being in late Q1, late Q2, I do not understand why I do not see any internet Ad, commercials for GW2 at this point.

The only hype I hear, is through word of mouth, even the official site is nothing more than a glorified blog showing very little gameplay footage

I mean, with little hype, no one will bother to read up on the game, and people always assume it will be like GW1, or worse, never heard of guild wars before, so they just assume its some sort of stupid console game or something.

I know people are praising it to be a revolution, but there needs to be more ways to spread information about the game other than word of mouth if Arenanet would like to maximize sales at launch

Maybe because the best for of advertisment is word of mouth.... and i reckon most people who will play already no about...

Deleted
    I'm glad there is not such a big hype. Hyping a game to much most likely leads to higher expectations or even expectations that are to high. When WoW came out and shortly before launch, they didn't have no commercial or anything like that either. At least I cannot remember any sort of hype/commercial for WoW. Word of mouth is actually the best commercial you can get. They should just leave it as it is atm and let it get known for being good and not through overhyping it.

I'm sure they'll start running commercials when they have a better idea of when it'll be released. They said they didn't want to have a specific launch date before going through testing (I'm paraphrasing here), so once it hits open beta, expect more hype.

ANet has said that they haven't begun their marketing campaign at this point.

15+ Year Old Account
    Twilight princess.

GW2 doesn't need a hype, Nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by Karei View Post
    GW2 doesn't need a hype, Nuff said
    Damn straight =) Just let them commence that open beta and word of mouth will do the rest.

10+ Year Old Account
    No hype is fine for me. The less interrested, the more likely I'll get into beta.

I think that many people are tired of being all hyped up about a game only for it to turn out shit.
    Darkfall/RIFT/Warhammer/SWTOR and the list goes on and on

Quote Originally Posted by Xownlol View Post
    I think that many people are tired of being all hyped up about a game only for it to turn out shit.
    Darkfall/RIFT/Warhammer/SWTOR and the list goes on and on
    You can add World of Lootcraft (a.k.a. World of We-spits-on-pvp-community) to the list.

And on topic:
    I think that there will be less schoolboys in the servers' population if Anet won't be putting ads on every corner.
    Last edited by Moonsera; 2012-01-15 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypro View Post
    Maybe because the best for of advertisment is word of mouth.... and i reckon most people who will play already no about...
    Pretty much this.
    Also hypes come in waves, if they are big for extended period of time and you still have to wait few months people will totally lose interest in it.
    Im sure Anet is waiting with extra hype just once open beta is up, NDA is lifted and release will be soon.
    @Moonsera: Hahaha... yeah, every expac they go "focus more on pvp, bring back world pvp feeling" etc.

I hear frequent whispers about GW2 on wow, GW, Eve and, when I played, Rift......whatever they're doing with their non-advertisements, it appears to be working

10+ Year Old Account
    GW2 doesn't need hype, GW2 getting hyped means that it will have shitty community, just like SWTOR.

You've probably seen what's been happening to over-hyped games recently.

Yeah, GW2 is probably going to be very good (HOPEFULLY!), but it's fine without the hype. It seems to only cause disappointment these days.

Dont forget... Athene "supports" Guild Wars 2 -.-U.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddycen View Post
    GW2 doesn't need hype, GW2 getting hyped means that it will have shitty community, just like SWTOR.
    Everyone MMO has a shit community. GW actually has one of the worst if your first encounter with it is on GW2guru.

The hype will start once Anet gives a release date or open beta starts.

Quote Originally Posted by cityguy193 View Post
    Every mmo, even the ones that looked absolutely mediocre, had some sort of hype this close to release. With closed beta underway, with release most likely being in late Q1, late Q2, I do not understand why I do not see any internet Ad, commercials for GW2 at this point.

The only hype I hear, is through word of mouth, even the official site is nothing more than a glorified blog showing very little gameplay footage

I mean, with little hype, no one will bother to read up on the game, and people always assume it will be like GW1, or worse, never heard of guild wars before, so they just assume its some sort of stupid console game or something.

I know people are praising it to be a revolution, but there needs to be more ways to spread information about the game other than word of mouth if Arenanet would like to maximize sales at launch
    cause there's no reason to be airing commericals or anything for games not coming out soon, right?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    Everyone MMO has a shit community.
    DAoC doesn't!

And I heard LotR has a pretty decent comm also. Cannot confirm that though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cityguy193 View Post

That's the issue , we do not know when this magnificent game will be released (like you i hope it is Q2 ) but until we hear something there will be no Hype except that of which we generate ourselves LOL