Poll: Was Archeology a success or a failure?

Page 1 of 20
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Post Was Archeology a success or a failure?

Do you think the implementation of this profession was a success or a failure?
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

Concept was good, but I personally hated the implementation.. Far too grindy and rng reliant.. sorry!

10+ Year Old Account
    i feel it fits in well enough as a secondary profession, and people saying it failed wanted more from it than a secondary profession usually brings to the table

Deleted
    Well it was good in theory but it became a huge grind and RNG fest to be honest. I was farming so long for the stupid Uldum rares like the mount and the pet it is ridiculous.

Although it was a bit nerfed by blizz so that it is not that stupid like at the release now Still hate it !!

It's nothing particularly extraordinary, but it's a nice timesink. I think most of the dislike comes from people expecting to be able to grind things from it and that not working very well at all due to the nature of RNG.

More tol'vir sites please though. That was a horrible race to get the achievement for.

I feel as though it failed bad. Not enough updates for it to actually keep searching worth while. I did it for a long time. Got almost every item. And then couldnt do anything else with it. I feel as though if they wer to keep it updated and worth more then a few vanity items then people would like it.

I'll go with failure, promosing big shiny items and mounts and only saw a raptor mounts and pet after 4 months

Some people in my guild are finally getting some achivement and the epic gear ...... ilvl 359 items, who fucking care now about ilvl359

Since It's was considered has a Secondary Skill, I really doubt Blizzard would even care iF it's a failure or a success

i like the concept, but theres far too much travel, and idk about other people but i personally hate completing that artifact without using those keystone slots!.... so i go to the ah and buy tol vir keystones for 600-800g >< yet ive still completed 250ish.

im not the biggest lore nerd, but i do enjoy some now and then, and each unique completed artifact has some lore attached that you get to read

They should have just stuck with Path of the Titans. They made so many poor decisions this expansion, I really don't know what they were thinking.

Overall I think it was a success, but with plenty of room for improvement.

for me as a just for fun profession it was too little fun :\

Deleted
    The whole profession system is a failure.

Professions only give you meaningless armor or weaponitems, and a statstick when leveld to 500. Some give you a mount or a pet.A few really give you something special, like nitro boost, nevertheless quite meaningless.

The only real reason people do professions is the gold income and they just do j/c for this.

Professions need a fix, the whole gather n build system needs a fix. Its totally superflous if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    i feel it fits in well enough as a secondary profession, and people saying it failed wanted more from it than a secondary profession usually brings to the table
    It was more than a normal secondary profession... They time it requires is far more than the other 3 sec. profs. combined though it's mindless grinding (that's why blizz nerfed it) but it brought to the table several important stuff with the most notable the epic weapons that were awesome at the start of Cata...

They problem is that it stayed there... People consider it a failure because half of them completed all artifacts or the ones they wanted months ago and that was it... The other half doesn't care anyways...
    All the other professions have their uses during the entire expansion... With archaeology when you complete it, you are done with it, the end... And that's the problem...

I have to say failure, Nice idea but implemented wrong and relied on rng too much also couple that with not enough updates to keep it interesting.

like said before to much grinding, it was nice but imo not worth the effort.

10+ Year Old Account
    By itself, it was a failure. If the world had other things to do, maybe it would have made sense.
    Last edited by Primernova; 2012-01-22 at 10:14 AM.

Failure in my opinion. As some said earlier, the idea was very nice, but the execution was failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    This. Alot of people I know who hate it complain about the lack of reward vs time investment. Granted you could get some nice BoAs when it was new, but the RNG surrounding them was horrible.

Anyway, it is not so bad now considering you can get anywhere up to 27 fragments in any one digsite now which is alot better than the numbers on release, and the fact that you can now hold onto them (This was nerfed at one point iirc) makes it nice also. The only problem I have with it is that although it is meant to be a secondary proffesion, it does feel quite grindy. It is kind of cool to go through the collection of solves you have without taking up bag space, but I kind of liked being able to cheese through cooking and first-aid with a bit of gold or matts from leveling alts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominating View Post
    I wish Blizzard would realize that adding features designed to achieve convenience for players in turn make this game more of a job

I still don't have the Vial recipe after grinding until I wished I was Horde so I could kill every litterbug Night Elf I could find...too much nelf junk.

They haven't kept it current, too much stuff that was supposed to be nice gear was below cap therefore useless. It would have been more fun if it was heirloom gear, at least some of it.

Its something to do when you have nothing to do but they let it die out and haven't added anything to keep it going so now we have this 525 profession that's basically useless.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignatious View Post
    Concept was good, but I personally hated the implementation.. Far too grindy and rng reliant.. sorry!
    Have to agree with this. The original also had the path of titans etc, it would have been much better to actually have some quests too related to it, I mean I love lore, but having to actually go around just digging gets boring after a while.