Poll: Was Archeology a success or a failure?

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    mix of both , at the begining of cata success but now that all of the rewards from it are outdated ( weapons ect ) there is no reason to do the profession anymore apart from mounts and fun items and achies :L i would of hoped that they would upgrae the items you could get but thats just my opinion

I would say both.
    The idea behind archeology was amazing. It was a time-killer and a fun, not a "must have to be good" (fishing, BS, Tailoring/Eingineering) profession.
    Sadly, blizzard just fucked the whole idea up.

Imho, they made 3 big mistakes:

1) No more items after 4.1
    Thats right. After the launch of cataclysm, blizzard added only a few more Items with patch 4.1. No more funny items, no more weapons/armor, no heirlooms. nothing
    It's dead since spring 2011.

2) poorly designed armor
    Let's face it: why you get a mail helmet for lvl 68(?) in outlands? Sure, it's useful within the first 1-2 levels. But after?
    Archeology only had 4 major Items with a great utility factor: Zin'Rokh, the dwarfen staff, the Tol'vir ring and the nelf trinket.
    Some of the items were changed by better items during t11 normal content. Only Zin'rokh (and the trinket for some shamans) lasted until the first few hardmodes.

3) The lack of useful items
    Sure, pets are a great invention for animal-loving treecuddler. But whats with fun items? You use it a few times, only to let them rot in your bank.
    No more armors, no weapons, no trinkets, no helpful items (some sort of alternative enchanting/alchemy/jewelcrafting material).

My 2 cents

10+ Year Old Account
    biggest fail since fail came to failtown
    dictated but not read.

Deleted
    it was not fun and as that a failure

there were some cool fun items but i never got them cause the proffesion was boring
    if it's not fun its not worth it, this is a game , not fun =failure

they could even have fixed it quite easy to adress a broader audience : let people skill up completly over items. Those who care to grind could make gold and i would happily buy the stuff but im not going to grind such a boring activity
    Last edited by mmoc1be018301a; 2012-01-15 at 12:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well it all depends on how you look at it. Compared to First aid(im a shaman) and fishing its one of the better second proffessions. Only thing that annoyed me was the rng sometimes and the fact that after i got all the achievements i completely stopped doing it.

On and off..t was a as many people have said, a good concept then it just became useless(i'm still doing it, cause i haven't got the thigns I wanted and i'm a bit used to RNG since i'm a Ret pala)

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    It is great for days when I'm bored. People expected to get everything from the profession right away, and therefore don't like the grind/rng, which both are neither new concepts to a secondary profession. Love the rp stuff, the mounts, the pets and a few BOA items for my new level 85s. Also, weren't there a few items that were BIS at the start of cata? So it was a useful profession in just that sense, if you're not a lover of vanity items.

Another thing that makes Cata look like a joke of an expansion.
    I thought that 10% of raiding population made clear that people don't want to do same shit over and over.
    And it takes 3-5 min to get from 1 node to another OFG what are those blizzard retards where thinking?
    and now pet battles ??? Don't you think people that are into Pokemon battles, will play Pokemon cos it's a better game?
    Kenny gona die tonight!!!

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    A failure, I mean really the idea was nice however. It just had a lot of backlash into it and I finished the entire thing ( God I was bored )

The least fun thing in a game ever done.

I've never done more than 10 minutes of it at a time because it just bores me so much. And I don't play a game to be bored tbh :L
    Cho’Gall: Cairne Bloodhoof is dead? Did we kill him?
    Deathwing: No. The Grimtotems weakened him with poison, and then Garrosh accidentally hacked him to death with an axe during a heated political discussion.
    Cho’Gall: How do you accidentally kill someone with an axe?

Deleted
    Not a "failure", but it has much room left for improvement compared to what it could have been.

That sentence actually summarizes this entire expansion.

Deleted
    I only say RNG, RNG and more RNG ... GG

Could have been made much better with more dig sites and less travel time. Feedback was given when it was on the PTR which said the exact same thing, they ignored it, archeology flopped.

Deleted
    People always argued that it is about the lore but ultamitely there is almost zero lore involved with arch. There a few words put into the page for individual artifacts and thats it.

zero lore + rng grind + rnd grind + hours of flying alt tabbed out = FAILURE

Deleted
    Too much RNG for me, iv farmed the Tol'Vir bug mount since Cataclysm release (first thing I did when I hit level 85 was level arch) and I haven't seen the mount yet, god knows how many hours iv put into archeology, must be easily into the hundreds...Its the feeling that you dont know when it will ''pop'' I could go and get it on the next solve or it could be another 100+ hours away, it sucks :S

Concept was good, but I personally hated the implementation.. Far too grindy and rng reliant.. sorry!
    The idea behind archeology was amazing. It was a time-killer and a fun, not a "must have to be good" (fishing, BS, Tailoring/Eingineering) profession.
    Sadly, blizzard just fucked the whole idea up.

Imho, they made 3 big mistakes:

1) No more items after 4.1
    Thats right. After the launch of cataclysm, blizzard added only a few more Items with patch 4.1. No more funny items, no more weapons/armor, no heirlooms. nothing
    It's dead since spring 2011.
    So much this

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Worked for me.

It was suppose to be random and not necessary. Some of you sound like you wanted the possibility of getting everything like it was a reputation grind or constant updates that gave new gear that was potentially BiS. Maybe it could have had another content update, but to me it fulfilled it's purpose quite well.

I still don't have everything nor do I plan to get everything. It's something I do to fill time when I'm in queue for arena/BGs or just plain mucking around doing something else.

The items are all BoA which means you can pass it around and transmog it if you liked a particular item.

IDK I wouldn't single this profession out as being a complete failure. In my eyes all professions in the game serve very little purpose outside of engineering. We get very small perks that reduce cost associated with most of them and pretty much the same linear stat gain across all the major ones. You come to expect two craftable BoE pieces via raid drop each tier. See to me all professions are dumb.

overall i like it but the RNG is just to random .

Deleted
    Failure, sounded interesting before it was implemented, was sooo wrong.

Even as Mage portalling it was such a grindfest, only kept it up as was something to do whilst in BGs/Rateds queues, only o fill a bank with items of little to zero use.

Only thing kept was Viking helmet which was macro`d to Lol bomb cast to confuse the enemy

P.S. wth was with Tanaris, that area was insane for backwards/forwards for digging :$

Deleted
    For those that took it up for the free epics, it has utterly failed. For those that took it for the lore, which is the primary reason for the profession, it has been a success...