Having problems with Curse.com

Hi there,
    so, I just bought a SSD, everything went great, until I was about to download Curse Client... I got to Curse's website once, but after I couldn't enter it anymore. It says "(net::ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS)" (and some text before that, but that's the error code). I've tried removing all cookies, allowed 3rd part and all what it says I'm supposed to do, but nothing happens.. Help please?

EDIT: im not using any adblocks or anyhing.. so idk why this dosent work.. thanks for help though.
    Last edited by Ninsew; 2012-01-15 at 05:38 PM.

I had the same issue a few days ago. They recently implemented some nonsense to block users from accessing their site that use adblockers or hosts files to block ads, resulting in the error you get.

I love how they start doing this only a week or so after they infected thousands of users with a virus via a flash exploit from one of their shady advertising partners. They can go screw themselves IMO.

Clicking this link should let you download the client, which will still work regardless. You can also search for new addons through it. I'd suggest using a new site to read about addons you wish to install such as wowinterface.

http://clientupdate.curse.com/setup.exe
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

What browser/OS are you using?
    It's not necessarily your SSD that is causing problems.
    Also, what SSD did you buy?

10+ Year Old Account
    Not to get off topic, but you do realize this is a Curse subsidiary, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    yes i do, this is not a QQ thread, this is a please help me thread

---------- Post added 2012-01-15 at 05:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    I had the same issue a few days ago. They recently implemented some nonsense to block users from accessing their site that use adblockers or hosts files to block ads, resulting in the error you get.

I love how they start doing this only a week or so after they infected thousands of users with a virus via a flash exploit from one of their shady advertising partners. They can go screw themselves IMO.

Clicking this link should let you download the client, which will still work regardless. You can also search for new addons through it. I'd suggest using a new site to read about addons you wish to install such as wowinterface.

http://clientupdate.curse.com/setup.exe
    cool, thanks.. Trying this

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    Yeah, I hope this isn't a sign of things to follow with mmo-champ.
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Was more directed at Glo. But I believe he's right, it's an adblock issue. I was having issues as well. I reinstalled Firefox which got rid of my addons. Poof, it worked again.

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Yeah, I hope this isn't a sign of things to follow with mmo-champ.
    Boub loves us. ^.^

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyparry View Post
    What browser/OS are you using?
    It's not necessarily your SSD that is causing problems.
    Also, what SSD did you buy?
    chrome, windows 7 (very very legit, yees).. no i dont think the SSD is the problem, it was more to tell you that i had to reinstall all programs.

This thread is motivating me to try a different ad-blocking approach. adblock/hosts files are client side solutions. I -think- using one of the free ad blocking DNS servers should work, or using a proxy solution like privoxy.

I'll report back with my results.

---------- Post added 2012-01-15 at 05:19 PM ----------

And... I was right. (I really hope I don't get banned for this, we shall see)

Using: http://www.adbarricade.com/ worked like a charm.

It's an alternative DNS host, essentially. They block all incoming DNS requests from the same massive list that addons like adblock use. Except that it's blocked on their servers, not your computer. So in theory it would make your computer ever so slightly more snappy (browsing the internet) compared to adblock.

DNS servers in so many words are basically the internet's phonebook. You request a site by say, clicking on it. Your computer sends out a request to the DNS host with the site name, and the DNS host converts that site name into a numerical IP address so your PC can reach its true destination.

Your computer will default to your ISP's local DNS host unless you change it. There's nothing wrong with using alternative DNS providers as they have no direct access to your PC. That's the beauty of DNS filtering, it's all offloaded on someone else's hardware.

Good luck!

build pics