Thread: SWTOR for MAC

10+ Year Old Account

SWTOR for MAC

So I have a MAC laptop and I am wondering what some of you have done so that you are able to play SWTOR on your MAC.

I bought Windows 7 and used boot camp for no reason other than to play SWTOR.
    "Casuals don't read mmo-champion, because they're too busy being bad in heroics." - Tarragon @ Earthen Ring US

Yeah as above, Boot Camp. I can't be bothered messing around with all sorts of programmes I don't fully understand when there's a not too pricey easy way to do it. I use Windows for a lot of other games and software too though so I can justify the cost more than some who'd just use it for 1 game.

10+ Year Old Account
    How much space did you reserve for bootcamp?

Made a 40 gig partition with Bootcamp and installed Windows 7, though I think TOR actually works better on Windows XP so you might want to get that if you can.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Guillotine811 View Post
    Made a 40 gig partition with Bootcamp and installed Windows 7, though I think TOR actually works better on Windows XP so you might want to get that if you can.
    Hmmm and why do you say that?

TOR is optimized for XP.

I'm not having any problems running it in Windows7, and you can always run it in windows7 as xp compatibility mode if you need to.

I'm not sure why anyone would willingly purchase XP at this point

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok one last question, is it possible to use bootcamp on a external hard drive and install XP on that and be able to game? I have 2 Ext HDs and only 40gigs left on my laptop HD.

No it's not wise to use an external hard drive to run an OS and game off it . it will run slow and choppy .
    Any prize that's worth having usually requires a risk. No matter how big the risk don't ever think twice just do it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker12489 View Post
    No it's not wise to use an external hard drive to run an OS and game off it . it will run slow and choppy .
    But it is possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Mavik View Post
    But it is possible?
    Yea it's possible.... but TRUST me it will be slow to play unless you have a sata drive on a e-sata port
    Any prize that's worth having usually requires a risk. No matter how big the risk don't ever think twice just do it!

Deleted
    I exchanged my MAC for my brothers self built PC. Common sense really >.<

Deleted
    Bought bootcamp for it... was not worth it to be honest as for installing on external go for it I install stuff like total war on mine and its absolutely fine

Deleted
    1. no, swtor is not "optimized" for windows xp; the very concept is ridiculous.
    2. external drives are slow (technically, the connection is per usual slow) and thus they take longer time to write/read to and as such the game will also run slowly as far as loading goes.
    3. just getting boot camp for your Mac is something you should look into. no more having to limit yourself to certain software "because the other alternative is not mac-compatible".
    4. windows refuses to install on sources with an USB connection. not sure whether or not boot camp can help you circumvent that tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Guillotine811 View Post
    I wanted to install Windows XP on my Mac, simply because that would mean having to partition less space for the Bootcamp partition. Ofc the new version of Bootcamp does not support Windows XP, so you'd need either Vista or Windows 7.... since Vista is crap, this means we'd need 7....and 7 is expensive :/

That being said, BioWare have said that a Mac client is most probably on the way
    Source : http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01...-is-something/

Quote Originally Posted by Mavik View Post
    But it is possible?
    Unless you got like usb 1.0 yes he is right but with 3.0 it works great.I got all my steams games on ext hdd and i play all of them with no install needed with 70 fps.

Ya but who knows when said client will arrive.

If you have a thunderbolt external drive then you can play the game just fine from that. Otherwise, firewire and usb connected drives are too slow to be practical.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker12489 View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESATAp
    Capacity R3:6Gbps

Riiight, slow and choppy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Partition your disk and run SWTOR using Bootcamp.. if you have a MBP with good hardware, you can run it in max settings