The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs down Sick of Graphics card downclocking...

So I've been told this is fairly common and I would like some input on how best to deal with it, as right now, my "restart" idea is less than optimal.

I have an MSI Twin Frozr II GTX 560 Ti that at times/random likes to downclock to 405MHz/810MHz and some abysmally low memory clock speed, thus reducing gameplay fairly severely. At first I thought this was just an issue for when I would OC the card myself, fairly heavily too (up to 950-985MHz on the core) but now it has continued happening even after I've reverted it back to MSI Factory OC settings, of 880MHz/1760MHz. Sometimes it will do it randomly or when a game may crash out, or also after I stop folding (haven't folded in a while) but thus, this is an issue. I really don't know what does it, sometimes the computer can be on for less than an hour and it will do it, sometimes the computer will be on for well over 24 hours and it will never happen.

It happens no matter what driver I have installed and completely at random.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    If there is nothing causeing it, the card is bricked...

But really to me it sounds like overheating

Deleted
    After a quick Google I found this. They suggest trying different drivers - 285.38 - or upping the voltage a bit to stabilise the overclock.

Makes sense that it would slow down when not in use. Both my 560s do it when they are not being used, but shoot right back up when the system demands it. Monitored with EVGA Precision HW monitor.

There's even a mention of a conflict between folding and downclocking in that thread too...
    Last edited by mmoc93da00bcb5; 2012-01-16 at 02:47 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth1 View Post
    If there is nothing causeing it, the card is bricked...

But really to me it sounds like overheating
    I should have mentioned, no, I watch my temperatures very closely. This card hardly goes above 55 Celsius in SWTOR, which is quite cool. In Rift it barely goes past 60 Celsius. Unigine Heaven 2.5, a graphics benchmarking software doesn't put it past 65 Celsius.

@Phatt1e, thanks for the suggestion. I just read that whole thread. Going to give the card a little more juice now, hopefully that will fix it. I know Fuzzykins said he gave extra voltage to his otherwise MSI TFII stock OC'd 560 Ti.... so maybe that'll do the trick.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water