Ironfoe, good weapon for a 54 Protection Paladin?

Hi there,

I'm new to the game (around 1-2 weeks) and I currently have a 54 Protection Paladin (used to have a 16 Protection Warrior, but didn't like it too much for some reason).

My Paladins name is Harry on Shadow Council (US) for those who want to take a look.

I was just wondering if I am gearing correctly, focusing on Stam and Str, Dodge and Parry. I have all blues and an epic 1h mace (Ironfoe). Is this a good weapon for me to have? Previously I had the Bloodrazor (epic also) and then the Tooth of Eranikus.

In BRD, my DPS is approximately 800-950 (during AOE of course).

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Thank you for your time and input!

10+ Year Old Account
    dude dont really care about what your equiping on lower levels, aslong as you can use it, just use it really, leveling goes way to fast anyway and your gonna replace it all in 4 levels when you hit outland

Don't know if srs, but if so - pretty much what Avar ize said.

Your DPS and gear really don't matter until 85... Just get anything with the highest Stam/Stre and, if you can find any, defensive stats (Dodge/Parry/Mastery(post 80)).

Mad jealous, I have never seen iron foe drop at all and ive been playing a few weeks after release of vanilla wow so a massive grats to your awesome luck. But yes iron foe is a great tanking weapon for a new player until you get to outlands, since you cant get QS anymore " quel serra" at level 60 iron foe will do you just fine. unless you had mad friends who will get your TF ' thunderfury ' Iron foe will last a few levels in outlands. But yes you are gearing correctly, Dodge/ parry stam, Str will give you block, so your doing fine make sure when you get to 80 + you balance your stats parry/ dodge correctly try and keep them as close as you can while making sure everything has mastery on it. if it doesnt reforge the weaker of the two to mastery for example if you have 14% dodge 17% parry and the item has dodge and parry reforge the parry to mastery.

Well since I'm new to the game, yes I am serious since I don't know as much about the game as others do. Also, I am in no rush to hit 80/85 as I will not be raiding due to the lack of time (wife and 1.5 year old keep me busy).

From what I've seen, dps and gear do matter while leveling in LFD as it makes others work harder and get frustrated that someone in a level 30 instance is wearing the same thing they started the game with, and yes, I've seen this. Also, if you work hard at maximizing gear/dps it helps better your skill for the higher levels. And while tanking it helps the group do their job better (dps/heal).

Thanks for the input

suggested the heirloom sword, but didnt read ur whole post (my bad) your new to the game... What the above posted suggested. anything with str and sta. once in a while you'll see something drop with defensive stats.

As Veroly said, its a very good weapon for what you need it for.

The increased dps from the epic outweights the potential stat gains from any other weapon untill atleast outlands/raiding(Classic) - Praise your luck and keep enjoying the leveling expirence, its something worth holding onto, nothing will be the same again when you get to level 85 Thats what i envy you the most.

Have fun and good luck

10+ Year Old Account
    Ironfoe is fantastic if you're a new player, with no 85s. As another poster said, unless you've got friends willing to boost you through Molten Core and BWL until you can build a Thunderfury, Ironfoe will last you quite a while even once you hit Outland, as their choice of tanking weapons early on are... eh, lackluster, let's say.

Happy hunting/leveling, and I am so very jealous.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Gratz, never saw Ironfoe ever drop either and ran the place probably a good hundred or so times.

They really should have made it legendary since it has the low drop rate, and one of the few non legendary weapons with an official story behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    Gratz, never saw Ironfoe ever drop either and ran the place probably a good hundred or so times.

They really should have made it legendary since it has the low drop rate, and one of the few non legendary weapons with an official story behind it.
    What's the story behind it?

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbert View Post
    What's the story behind it?
    From wowwiki:

Ironfoe, the legendary orc-slaying hammer, was forged by Franclorn Forgewright. While he kept its twin, Ironfel, for himself, he bestowed Ironfoe to Marshal Windsor's ancestor, which was then passed down each generation to him.

Last seen in Blackrock Mountain, Ironfoe was taken from Marshal Windsor when he was captured by Dark Iron dwarves. It is now in the possession of Emperor Dagran Thaurissan himself, and can be seen in his grasp. Ironfel was given to Fineous Darkvire, who succeeded Forgewright after his death as the new Dark Iron Chief Architect.

The hammer is named after the legendary dwarven smith Kaltor Ironfoe, who forged battleaxes which also bear his name. Three are known to exist, two of which are in dwarven hands. The third is believed to be lost somewhere in Felwood, and may be in the Burning Legion's control. An ironfoe is crafted from a single, massive block of dark iron, sculpted into a perfectly symmetrical shape. Dwarven runes are carved in relief on its surface, suggesting (correctly) that this is a weapon of great power. An ironfoe is a dark iron battleaxe of instinct that feels perfectly comfortable in its wielder's hand, despite its obvious heft and weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Avar ize View Post
    dude dont really care about what your equiping on lower levels, aslong as you can use it, just use it really, leveling goes way to fast anyway and your gonna replace it all in 4 levels when you hit outland
    Don't spoil his fun mate,just remember how it was when wow was new for you :P

Always recruiting exceptional players! Visit http://www.klr-guild.eu/ for more info.