PVP prot pally help

i have been looking on the PvP forums for help and i havent seen much on it so i am here to ask you all for help. i have a prot pally that i reallyt enjoy playing in PvP. i have only played a hunter in PvP so i am at a loss here with my pally. How should i gem/reforge my gear? do i still gem/reforge for mastery for the avoidance with the block reduction or do i gem/forge for crit/resil or even haste? i do ok right now, i usually last for about 30 sec or more fighiting 4 or more peeps alone. i like being able to fight off a grp tring to get the flagg/location i am at. my main goal is usually hold them off long enought to have the others rezzed and come back over to help out. i know when i have really pissed someone off when they spend the rest of the BG tring to kill me. i have about 3500 resil right now but i am still gearing up. i have some honor/conquest gear but mostly player made ( i made ). i am just stuck as to what works best overall for PvP as a prot pally. many have said they have died but i enjoy it to much to not play one.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...deaus/advanced

there is my toon. any help will be very appreciated.

on a side note does the resil damage reduction stack with the block reduction?

go holy.

(10 char)
    " I need a sec, my wrists hurt from spamming slam so hard. Playing cleave vs cleave is tough stuff guys"

Protection pvp can be really fun, esp with the way vengeance works right now. However, you might wanna try and milk the last amount of fun out of it for pvp since next patch it is going to get a nerf (for all tank classes reguarding pvp).

One of the main factors in playing ret is going all out mastery, so if you have gear set for ret, equip it in prot to stack mastery as much as possible. I have a prot pvp paladin and since i have nearly 2200 mastery rating, when i go prot i have just over 50% block chance. Trust me, melee hate you.

In terms of gearing up, try to buy as much of the honor pvp gear as you can and reforge in the following values:

Strength > 5% hit > Mastery > Crit > avoidance general

Since hitting the avoidance cap (102.4% i believe) is impossible and only doable through pve gear, don't worry too much about parry dodge chance. Your block is where its at in pvp and with nearly 50% block alone, you should do fine against most melee. Your resilience should be up around 37-4k at least but don't worry about sacking too much of it since your not playing a prof flag carrier or anything (im assuming).

Your biggest threat would b casters since we only have a 6 sec freedom, 1 stun on a 40 sec cd, and 1 trinket. Some classes can also dispel your vengeance fairly easy which gets annoying, but overall you should just have fun with it. Mages will laugh at you though.

Hope some of this helps. Have fun.

i think vengeance is taking a hit soon so prot pvp isn't going to do so well in arena

Quote Originally Posted by Divinator View Post
    Trust me, melee hate you.
    actually. as melee, and as a healer. i like seeing prot paladins on the other team. because they are about as good as an empty spot. they can't put out the damage of ferals and don't have the survivability of blood dks or the mobility of warriors. even before the vengeance changes they were a waste of space.

please. dont' go prot for pvp, you will be the laughing stock of well everyone. i've seen a grand total of two prot paladins who were any good in pvp. and both of them had to rely on their team mates far more then any other tank spec ever had to.

you will die to ret paladins, and frost dks, and unholy dks, and just about anyone who knows how to kite and quite a few who don't.

oh. and ret goes full crit for pvp.

please don't' spread misinformation about the viability and entertainment value of pvping as a prot paladin.

if you want to have any quality of life on your paladin in pvp go holy. if you are really set on bashing things with weapons, go ret.
    " I need a sec, my wrists hurt from spamming slam so hard. Playing cleave vs cleave is tough stuff guys"

I guess if you want some random enjoyment in bg's with bad players who most likely either a. aren't geared, b. are complete idiots, or c. are bots. Then in that unique set of circumstances you might enjoy prot pvp, otherwise your going to be miserable, even more after the vengeance changes as they currently are reported to change to.

You could just go ret and mindlessly play bg's and have more fun, but as kosechi mentioned if want to have any value out of it at all, just go holy. In arena I hope to play against you because prot paladin on the other team is just a win for me.

Deleted
    Strength > 5% hit > Mastery > Crit > avoidance general
    this is completely wrong...
    5%hit is fine (since there are not so much usefull stats rather than crit that scales not so well, u might consider 7% directly for night elves)... mastery is totally a useless stat in pvp as prot so reforge it out to what u prefer (hit/exp/crit)...
    if u want to do more dmg gem stamina (highest vengeance)... if u want more reduction gem resilience... if u want highest dmg gem stamina and use trinkets for crits...
    learn to time ur avenger and hof and it's gonna be fun as long as vengeance lasts...
    oh. and ret goes full crit for pvp.
    Ret goes full crit for wog with last word spec... else it can go mastery as well... prot can't go mastery in pvp...
    glyph > crusader/sotr/ (judgement/seal of truth depending on expertise u have... a good point is to be able to bypass at least 5%dodge/5%parry)...
    use titanium plating (northrend plan bs) on shield, and what u prefer on wp (mostly landslide)... both disarm reduction/ap on proc...
    don't use focused shield glyph since 1 avenger among 3 caster can do more dmg than it seems, use dazzling shield ofc...

actually. as melee, and as a healer. i like seeing prot paladins on the other team. because they are about as good as an empty spot. they can't put out the damage of ferals and don't have the survivability of blood dks or the mobility of warriors
    that's the player we like since as melee u're dead fast vs a prot pala rather than a blood dk since the blood dk can't stack haste and has a limited amount of resources to do dmg... not to mention if u're under inquisition / wings / trinket u won't loose 3hp on 1 sotr which usually does more than a Ds can do (ofc u might say that it's just 1)...

if u're not attacked (like wise players should) u're more painfull as prot pala rather than blood dk for sure (unless the blood dk is willing to waist all cds to stack necrotic)... btw nor a blood dk nor a prot pala without vengeance will kill any healer...

Learn to use hop on healers... hof even on others... and consider (once venceance is stacked) > inquisition>divine plea> trinket > wings > sotr ur finisher...