Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by StarbuyPWNDyou View Post
    I would say definitely higher than that presuming you'd be willing to skimp on shadows. I'd place it around 35-50fps.
    sounds about right, i use a nividia gtx 240 or w/e and i can run on medium ish with 20+ fps in a 25man. and other then that high is around prob 45, so youll get good graphics

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunooo View Post
    Heya

I'm going to order this setup:

i3-2120
    8GB ram
    MSI Radeon 6770
    7200rmp 500GB harddrive
    1920x1200 24'' screen (already have that )

Questions:

- Is this a good setup to play WoW on? Wich settings/fps can I expect at wich resolution? In 25man raids etc.
    - Can I make use of DirectX11 for wow and how do I do this? I read something about manually enabling this, how does this work?
    - Will I also be able to play games like LoL, CoD4 ,MW1,2,3?, the occasional racegame?

Thanks in advance

Luno
    stable 60 fps on medium settings maybe down to 40.. u will be able to run all those games u mentioned on medium/high without any issues.. it is close to my old s775 setup which had a e8500, 5770 and 8gb of ram and i tried all those games u mentioned and i even played black ops on 40-50 fps on highest settings

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
    System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
    System Model: Dell XPS430
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
    Memory: 6144MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 6078MB RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce GTS 450
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Display Memory: 3776 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 993 MB
    Shared Memory: 2782 MB

modified FSB cooler
    replaced PSU with a OCZ 610W
    and overclocked the video card to 900MHZ, memory to 1900MHZ

cheap setup and I get 50-75 FPS in 25 man 70-120 FPS in 10's on ultra with no shadows
    do your homework and dont get rip'd off with hype,I been running this setup for 3 years now

scratch and dent dell 429$
    FSB cooler 23$
    GTS450 109$
    PSU 43$ used Ebay out of new pc

total 604$

Quote Originally Posted by blazzin View Post
    do your homework and dont get rip'd off with hype
    What is "the hype" exactly? Because if you are calling Sandy Bridge CPU's a hype, I am gonna start grinning ear to ear.
    "If you need to add '10char' to be able to post, don't bother posting at all."

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arachnan View Post
    What is "the hype" exactly? Because if you are calling Sandy Bridge CPU's a hype, I am gonna start grinning ear to ear.
    the "hype' is ppl thinking they need bigger beter and more than they realy need.

So you would suggest people to buy a CPU from a previous generation for the same price? (in the Netherlands your CPU is actually more expensive than a i3 2120, hell, it's around the pricerange of a i5 2400)

I have no doubts your setup works fine, but try finding your CPU for a cheaper price than the I3 Sandy Bridge CPU's.

Right now, if you are getting a new setup it's best to be ready for future upgrades.
    The 775 socket you are using is useless nowadays.
    Last edited by Arachnan; 2012-01-16 at 11:49 PM.
    "If you need to add '10char' to be able to post, don't bother posting at all."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by blazzin View Post
    cheap setup and I get 50-75 FPS in 25 man 70-120 FPS in 10's on ultra with no shadows
    do your homework and dont get rip'd off with hype,I been running this setup for 3 years now
    There is no hype and no one is ripping anyone off. Your detailed Dell system information isn't going to help anything, if you notice OP has already chosen the route to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunooo View Post
    Sorry for my stupidity

But I can run dual channel with 1x4? or do I need 2x2?
    You need pairs of RAM sticks. I'm not sure why the posters that commented on it didn't realize you were talking about only using one RAM stick. It won't work with odd numbers of RAM sticks, so get 2x2 or 2x4GiB.
    Super casual.

Deleted
    I actually answered that question on page 1

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    I actually answered that question on page 1
    I should amend that to say "some", not "the". You were good .

As to the guy who recommended an LGA775 setup, that's a bad idea for a modern computer. My old Core 2 Quad Q9300 computer loses to even my wife's i5-750 by such an immense amount in WoW performance it's silly. Against even a stock i3-2120, it would be even worse. My 2500K? Fuhgeddaboutit.

The "hype" is futureproofing. If you buy a computer that performs "okay" today, it'll be slow in a year or two and prehistoric in three or four. If you get a computer that's fast today, it'll be okay in a year or two and slow in three or four (but still perfectly useable.)
    Super casual.