So...I think I stuffed up

Recently bought a pc in individual pieces to put together (this is my first time ever).

All was going well, put the CPU in, started putting the CPU cooler on, it's a NZXT Havoc.

What I saw after it was on is that my ram won't fit. Corsair quad 4Gb sticks.

Now 2 possibilities that I can see....either
    1) use the standard intel fan that came with the CPU and sell or do something with the cooler.
    2) option 2 (this is where I need some help) if I don't plan on over clocking will a single fan do the job on the heat sink? So I can leave off the side on the ram so it all fits. Now, the heat sink on a Havoc if you haven't seen it is @%#*ing enormous, which makes me THINK a single fan on it will do.

Why did I buy a cooler if I don't plan on over clocking? No idea, as I said this is my first time so i just bought stuff.
    Why put the cooler on with 1 fan instead of just the standard single fan? Well....because I have it now so may as well use it (plus it looks sick)

Would love any help as I really don't wana burn up my CPU...

Deleted
    1. You could potentially remove the RAM heatsinks (depends entirely what RAM modules you got). Lesson learned though: if you get a big heatsink, always get Low Profile RAM modules or check compatibility (I know, Captain Hindsight but still, just wanted to mention it).

2. Yes, it will cool more than sufficiently, even with a moderate overclock. Of course, it works best in push/pull, but it's far from horrible in pull or push only.

Corsair vengeance is the type I got. Will look into whether I can remove them (or should remove them, I guess they are there for a reason??)
    Yeah lesson learned I guess, need to research a bit more next time.
    I assumed that a single fan should be ok, I mean...that heat sink is oversized to the max.
    Thanks for hate info.

Deleted
    What do you mean they don't fit? I'm still to build my first pc. But surely a cooler can't stop the ram from being slotted in? Are you sure your motherboard can support that type of RAM? I know they have different notches depending on what type.

The cooler I have (on iPad ATM so hard to post pic) is huge. Google it you will see. Basically us has an enourmous heat sink with large fans either side.
    I've tried both ways, if I put the fans with one over the top of the ram, the heat fins don't fit underneath the fan, if I spin the whole thing 90 degrees the fins hit the cooling pipes on the heat sink.

Ive done a bit of googling and a few people have said taking heat fins off ram is ok and sometimes even better, anyone got first hand knowledge of this??

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuas View Post
    What do you mean they don't fit? I'm still to build my first pc. But surely a cooler can't stop the ram from being slotted in? Are you sure your motherboard can support that type of RAM? I know they have different notches depending on what type.
    Some RAM come with enormous heatsinks (they are mostly for looks and serve little functionality) which might limit what heatsink you can use.

Take a look at this picture and you will understand why one can't use oversized RAM heatsinks with certain coolers (NH-D14 with Ripjaws): http://cdn.overclock.net/9/99/99b19e...ll_Ripjaws.png

Quote Originally Posted by Ihazcakeforu View Post
    Ive done a bit of googling and a few people have said taking heat fins off ram is ok and sometimes even better, anyone got first hand knowledge of this??
    Yes, you can. As mentioned, the heatsinks on the RAM modules serve little purpose if you have adequate airflow in your case. RAM don't run very hot.

Thanks Marest, I think the flow in the case should be more than adequate. 1 fan on the front, 1 on the back, 2 on the top and an enormous one that is nearly the size of the entire side panel.
    So I think I will remove the fins, probably only the first 2 closest to the fan no point removing the other if I don't have to.

Great to have helpful answers so quickly in the computer forums, always get a lot of help here. Cheers