$1.2k Intel i7 3960x. Too much?

I'm currently in the process of building a gaming rig that are a little too graphic intensive for my laptop such as Rift, WoW, etc. Do I play them all on the reg, no as I'm usually busy commuting to college, working, etc. But can't argue with a nice gaming rig on my downtime. Anyway simple question:

Is this processor going above and beyond what I intend to use it for?
    Don't get me wrong, it will be used extensively.
    http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...=%7Bkeyword%7D

15+ Year Old Account
    yes. the i7 2600K ($315) is above and beyond what you need. The i5 2500K ($215) is plenty for a gaming rig
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

It is an enthusiast grade platform. At this time the i5-2500k/i7-2600k are the best options.

You'll do fine with the 2500K.

15+ Year Old Account
    That cpu cost more then my whole gaming rig cost, I mean what I got is not great, but it gets the job done.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

It's a server grade CPU with a 800$ markup because there's no relevant competition.

Welp! Thank you all then! Much appreciated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hell, if you can afford it, go for it. Is it totally excessive? Sure, but some people love that excess, and there's nothing at all wrong with it.

I personally just bought the Intel i5 2500k for my gaming rig I just built, and definitely don't need any more.

I generally only play wow and random other school work / web browsing.

With this processor, 8 gigs of ram, Geforce 550ti, I was doing 25 man LFR on Ultraxion, spam healing.. and watching a netflix movie on the otehr screen with no lag. Oh, and i play on Ultra settings. IF that isn't good enough... then yeah, go with the i7, and a better graphics card, haha.

10+ Year Old Account
    The price isn't too much, the processor itself is too much. There is absolutely nothing it will do for gaming that the i5-2500k and/or i7 2600k offer.