Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I think quality of games has gone down quite a bit. The only thing that really increases is the number of pixels.

Nonetheless I think this year should be a very good year for gaming. I'm looking forward to titles such as Hitman: Absolution, Silent Hill: Downpour, Guild Wars 2, Cube World, Paper Mario 3DS, Heart of the Swarm, Fire Emblem 3DS, Kid Icarus Uprising, etc.

lol at all the sad fucks, cant even go 1 thread without starting a wow vs swtor thread.....the usual wow players though i see. Get back to your boring toddler game where you belong spamming anal dirge shit and let people get on with there threads.

~User was infracted for this post
    Last edited by mmoc8b7a14d456; 2012-01-18 at 10:01 AM.

Deleted
    You aren't picky, 5, 7 years back games being released were quite amazing, these days it's either new and crappy or "oh yea, new year, new version of X, ok..."

You aren't too picky.
    Maybe you are just seeing the big market.
    Have anyone ever played Magicka? THAT'S a great game. Few people know about this game, yet is cheap, extremely fun and most of all, unique.
    All right, so that last test was seriously disappointing. Apparently, being civil isn't motivating you, so let's try it her way, all right, fatty? Adopted... fatty! Fatty, fatty no parents?

I don't have many (if any) games that I actually do not like, I like them to some extent or like them enough to play them, I am more of a console gamer so I am not sure how valid my opinion is but the only thing I had a problem with on Modern Warfare 3 was the fact that honestly, I think Black Ops was better than it in a lot of aspects.
    Do not get me wrong, Modern Warfare 3 is a good game but Black ops was just better in my honest opinion.

Skyrim? I don't want it, it's basically a darker, grittier, single player version of World of Warcraft, with a few oblivion mechanics thrown in, I am fine with what I have.

Also the only thing that I'd have suggested that you should have done was list those Indie games, if they were so good you should spread the word, other than that I have no opinion on the other things other than Battlefield 3 is amazing and so is Portal 2.

If you think that games have dumbed down a lot, you should try playing Dark Souls. There's pretty much no hand-holding in that game at all, and it's definitely my GOTY. Also, since you said you like indie games, I'd also recommend Dustforce, although I know somebody in this thread already did.

Also, I pretty much agree with your list, for the most part. While it does come down to opinion, I do believe that developers aren't as creative as they used to be, and many of them also appearing to become lazy. There were lots of good titles released this year though, and 2012 is looking to be a good year too. =)

Deleted
    No one bloody cares about PC gaming. Ofcourse the lead platform will be PS3 or xBox 360 and even if they'll release a PC version later that year - still a console port.

15+ Year Old Account
    Problem is that people keep buying whatever developers put out because video games have become much more of a common-place so it's harder for people to get together and say "don't buy _____ because the last one was terrible and unfinished; let's show them we don't agree with releasing content still in development".

I agree, games are getting worse and worse for the average game. Even big titles like BF3 (most recent game I've bought) came with so many flaws and annoyances that it's sad, but people keep buying it. There are very good games, but they are few-and-far in between; Skyrim, Oblivion, DOTA2 (when it comes out), Minecraft, but the average trend is going downhill :/
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

I don't think games are necessarily worse, but they DO seem to be getting more and more linear. (RF: Armageddon is a perfect example, compared to how sweet Guerilla was. Also MW3 campaign...cool story, good cutscenes, absolute crap gameplay except last mission.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    You do know what islands in the ocean do right?
    They float
    true story

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    If you think that games have dumbed down a lot, you should try playing Dark Souls. There's pretty much no hand-holding in that game at all, and it's definitely my GOTY. Also, since you said you like indie games, I'd also recommend Dustforce, although I know somebody in this thread already did.

Also, I pretty much agree with your list, for the most part. While it does come down to opinion, I do believe that developers aren't as creative as they used to be, and many of them also appearing to become lazy. There were lots of good titles released this year though, and 2012 is looking to be a good year too. =)
    He said [PC].

And still, Dark Souls is nerfed compared to Demon's Soul. Or I just gained a lot of skill while playing that damned Demon's Soul.

Main problem with new games are graphics, sound, etc. Companies invest a lot of money to build good looking game, sound design, stuff like facial capture in LA Noire, etc. That costs a lot. And you certainly don't want to invest into something a little bit bizzare or crazy like Indie devs do - it has a real chance to fail. After spending a fortune and some years, you don't want that to happen.

PS2 was and still is the best gaming platform - good games (Shadow of Colossus? ) and developing for it didn't cost so much.

Sorry if this is incorrect, but to me, it just seems that Dark Souls/Demon's Soul is hard because the character is so slow and clunky compared to everything. But I have only watched videos, so not sure. My friend bought Dark Souls though, so will find out.

Anyway, it's definitely not you OP. Everyone's picky these days. Yes, the quality of games have gone down a bit recently, but honestly, there was a thread about disappointing games recently, and people even posted about GOOD games they thought were crap.

So if anything, it's not you only. It's everyone. But at least you stop to think about it, which is a good thing.

SWTOR and CoD have nothing to do on that list, CoD is CoD no matter what. SWTOR is awesome.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well yes. Nowadays games are mostly CRAP.

They only care about making them shiny fast adn easy so everyone likes them and everyone drop the money, which is all they care about nowadays. Few years ago it was about giving good games and ofc make money, but designers mind is no longer free.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    So you've played through at least 15 games in the last year (two of which were MMOs!) and still have time to spend sitting around complaining about how unfulfilled you are?

Wish I had your free time and disposable income.

Point well said. I think you to introspect a little bit, OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    I agree with his list. The games he didn't like are either under average, terrible, or rehashes.
    That's nice, millions of people still enjoy these games
    Hi Sephurik

Quote Originally Posted by iCandy View Post
    No, but it was purely playable on my PC when I got it. Which was a couple days after release.

I had no issues with the game. But SWTOR for instance..the entire engine, not an easy fix mind you, is causing spell lag in crucial situations, like PVP and Raiding. Or the countless bugs I could list that would probably leak on to the next page.

Again..I don't want this thread to turn into this game vs that game.

---------- Post added 2012-01-18 at 01:50 AM ----------

I don't think you really grasp how long a year is..

You know it's 365 DAYS right?
    How can you say this one argument for TOR and not Skyrim. Skyrim has a fatal error in it's engine that has been present since FALLOUT 3!!!!
    If you don't know what i'm talking about then it's a memory leak that mean the more you play (and the larger you save game) the slower the game gets and the fewer fps the game has.
    The problem is obviously biggest on consoles where a lot of RAM isn't present, i've seen a friends save game become unplayed (never above 5fps) because of this bug. A bug Bethesda knew about since FALLOUT 3, did nothing to solve, and continued to release games knowing it's there.

swtor, portal 2, battlefield 3, ive bought all those and they're fantastic. take a break from gaming op.

Quote Originally Posted by ramsesakama View Post
    Nothing out of the ordinary.
    Fell in love with you when I saw your Flamie avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by iCandy View Post
    Seriously..the ONLY good games I have played in the last year or 2 are as follows..

Portal 2
    Skyrim
    Witcher 2
    BF3
    Batman: Arkham City
    (Lots of indie games that I'm not going to bother listing)

Other big hits that I though were garbage:

SWTOR - Shouldn't have even been released in the state it's in.
    COD:BO - COD..is just not for PC gamers anymore.
    Brink - Overhyped POS that could have been good if they didn't try so hard to be different.
    Red Faction Armageddon - Most linear game I've played since Super Mario Bro's.
    Dragon Age 2 - Shouldn't even have Dragon Age in the name..sooo bad
    Cataclysm - Sigh
    LOTR: War in the North - Double sigh
    MW3 - Didn't buy it..but ffs can a developer/publisher get any lazier than this?
    Duke Nukem - 12yrs...
    Crysis 2 - Console port sequel of the game that turned PC graphics in a new direction. So much more linear than Crysis 1 as well. Big let down!

Ok I could go on but I don't wanna..but it's SO SAD that I have like 15 indie games that are $15-FREE that are done better than some of these blockbusters and personally I could sink more hours into Killing Floor or Bastion than I could in any of the games listed in the "garbage section"
    You need to expand your playing base (Duke nukem was an abomination on the level of a war crime though...)

anyway, recent games you should play that were awesome (that the OP didn't list):
    Legend of Zelda, Skyward Sword
    Gears of War 3
    Saints Row the Third
    Assassin's creed Revelations
    Halo Reach
    Uncharted 3
    Rage

Quote Originally Posted by Assassination13 View Post
    He said [PC].

And still, Dark Souls is nerfed compared to Demon's Soul. Or I just gained a lot of skill while playing that damned Demon's Soul.

Main problem with new games are graphics, sound, etc. Companies invest a lot of money to build good looking game, sound design, stuff like facial capture in LA Noire, etc. That costs a lot. And you certainly don't want to invest into something a little bit bizzare or crazy like Indie devs do - it has a real chance to fail. After spending a fortune and some years, you don't want that to happen.

PS2 was and still is the best gaming platform - good games (Shadow of Colossus? ) and developing for it didn't cost so much.
    I know he did, but I still thought I'd recommend it if he was having trouble finding PC games that suited him. I normally stick to PC, myself. And yeah, haha, you probably did gain some skill. I have heard from a lot of people who have played Demon's Souls say that they already had the strategy down when they got around to playing Dark Souls. Somebody like me on the other hand, who has never played the first game, had a lot more trouble. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftero View Post
    Sorry if this is incorrect, but to me, it just seems that Dark Souls/Demon's Soul is hard because the character is so slow and clunky compared to everything. But I have only watched videos, so not sure. My friend bought Dark Souls though, so will find out.
    Nah, that's what I thought too, but I actually really like the controls, for a console game. It's hard because it is extremely unforgiving and if you make a mistake, you pay for it. So it's kind of the whole trial and error thing that makes it hard, but even when you get the strategy down, shit still happens.