10+ Year Old Account

How to Get Faster in 5-6 Weeks?

Hello, I am a 16 year old male, 5'10, 135 lbs. Lacrosse starts in about 5-6 weeks, and I really want to get faster before trying out (Because I want to make varsity this year.) My main problem is that I am not exactly slow, but I am not fast either. (My mile time is about 6:15 - 6: 30) So far I have been doing lots of cardio; 1hr a day, 7 days a week, (I work out very hard, and very rarely get sore, and have never gotten hurt. So a rest day is not needed.) I run 5-6 miles a day, and do moderate amounts of lifting.

For my diet, I eat Fiber One Cereal with a non fat yogurt, and seasonal fruit, for lunch I usually have a turkey and swiss sandwich and an apple/orange/banana, and for dinner I usually have some kind of a whole wheat grain (Usually whole wheat pasta) with a lean cut of meat, (Turkey/chicken usually) and a salad/ssteamed veggies. I almost never eat desert, but when I do, I usually have yogurt, with honey and berries, so thats not to bad.

I have been following this exercise + diet for 4-6 months, and today we had our first preseason conditioning, and I did notice a very small improvement over last year, but I was still not the frontrunner, how can I get faster for lacrosse? (In lacrosse you run full speed for 3-5 minutes at a time then you will essentially take a 3-5 minute break while the other team has control of the ball.)
    "Can you truly help someone so intent on being stupid?"
    - Hawke

Have you tried interval training?

You say you run 5-6 miles a day, maybe your body is used to what you are doing and not responding the way you would like. Try running about your normal pace for a mile then slow it down for the next and then repeat the process until you have finished or break it up even more run faster then normal (if possible) for a quart of a mile and slow it down to about 50% of what you were running at and then repeat.

Running a bit faster then normal even for a small amount of time should make your body react. To improve you have to trick your body and keep it guessing. But i am not a fitness professional and i would advise you to see a personal trainer and ask them what they think about your training.

Lacrosse is a sport that is very similar to Ultimate Frisbee as well as soccer in terms of burst sprinting. In my opinion, one of the best ways to improve your burst speed is to do interval sprints. Go out onto a track, make sure to properly warm up but jogging a couple laps. Stretch thoroughly to prevent injuries. Then, go out on the track, start by jogging the turn, at the start of the straight drop the hammer and sprint as fast as you can for the full length of the straight, then slow back to a jog at the next turn. Rinse and repeat this for 1 lap, (400 meters). Reference 1 set per lap, do about 3 - 4 laps. If you do this routine 2-3 times a week, for the next 4-5 weeks you should notice a difference in your burst sprint speeds.

Here is a pretty good video on this subject.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jyWq2XG81w

But are you talking about burst speed of long distance times?

As ozz stated, a personal training would do wonders for you no matter what the goal.

Deleted
    Also try to find out if you are training too much :P I'm not a professional but when are you giving your muscles time to repair the damage if you really are taking hard cardio runs every day? Now I know for a fact, that the results will be worse than they could be if you train _too much_.

My view on training 7 days a week, week in week out is that you really shouldn't. Even if you think your body doesn't need the rest because it isn't sore, you really should anyway. The best advice i can give is to keep your body guessing by changing your training every 3-4 weeks.

Try finding some off ice agility drills.

For example - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKcfbH_zwlA