Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Which Race (Horde Only Please) Is best for a Shadow Priest

Hi, I like to minmax and I am interested in rolling a shadow priest. Which race, on the Horde side, is best for a Shadow Priest?

The ever-snarky Fox Van Allen has a great reply to this question:

http://wow.joystiq.com/2011/07/13/sp...e-shadow-prie/

Short answer: Troll, by a minimal margin
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

Deleted
    Troll right now since Spine of Deathwing Heroic is considered to be the hardest boss in Dragon Soul. But overall, I'd say Goblin due to Rocket Jump.

Troll, no doubt.

Troll. A baby dies every time you even as much as compare Time is Money to Berserking.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

Troll, the fact you are easily able to line up bezerking and aa is huge.

Stream: twitch.tv/DryeLuLZ
    Twitter: @Dryeqt

Deleted
    Troll for looks aswell. Win

I am feeling a good bit sick and very sleepy so I open this thread and I am like... what? why is everyone calling the OP a troll?? I should probably go back to bed, stupid having to go to work qq.

Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    Troll. A baby dies every time you even as much as compare Time is Money to Berserking.
    A puppy dies everytime someone says it's a huge margin.
    Comparing Time is Money with Berserking is like comparing pizza to bread, you're forgetting one comes with other stuff than the other.

But I honestly hope your puppy is allright even though it should, by your logic, be dead.

---------- Post added 2012-01-18 at 10:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Drye View Post
    Troll, the fact you are easily able to line up bezerking and aa is huge.
    Problem is when BL and AA line up and you don't want use berserk during BL and that will throw your lineup to hell.
    Last edited by eErike; 2012-01-18 at 09:03 PM.

Undead obviously.
    Vyroxx @ Mal'Ganis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forian View Post
    Undead obviously.
    Riiight.

Troll is superb for it's on-use DPS CD, however, I'm surprised noone has mentioned the fact that Time is Money allows you to reforge stats you otherwise wouldn't be able to do. Depending on how close you are to your next VT tick, Goblin might be the way to go for the static 1% haste, and the ability to reforge another stat such as Crit to Mastery depending on your stat weights.

Quote Originally Posted by eErike View Post
    A puppy dies everytime someone says it's a huge margin.
    Comparing Time is Money with Berserking is like comparing pizza to bread, you're forgetting one comes with other stuff than the other.

But I honestly hope your puppy is allright even though it should, by your logic, be dead.

---------- Post added 2012-01-18 at 10:02 PM ----------

Problem is when BL and AA line up and you don't want use berserk during BL and that will throw your lineup to hell.
    You absolutely want to use Berserking with BL, for one it scales your DoTs insanely well, and while you lose any effectiveness out of MB, you still get great effectiveness out of MF. Berskerking alone doesn't make MB much better in any case.

Just with 4pc you won't want to use spike spam / AA with either berskering or BL.

---------- Post added 2012-01-19 at 09:59 AM ----------

Also after reading the article on horde races, the analysis fails to take into account that haste buffs are multiplicative, not additive. 20% haste might be worth 2563 haste rating, but haste ratings are additive and this value of haste would be multiplied against your existing haste rating, mind quickening, and any other haste buffs present (say bloodlust).

To defend you a bit, Goblins get 7 more Int than Trolls, which is worth something around 15 or 16 haste rating, so if you ignore the multiplicative issue, trolls get about 142 haste rating for berserking (on average) vs goblins 128 + 15 for the extra int = 143... so that looks pretty even there.

In my mind, beast slaying + the ability to use berserking with a multiplicative effect or at times when short burst DPS matters more than sustained DPS, tips the scales in their favour. But you are correct in saying the difference isn't huge, but it's there.

That article is wrong about goblins its not 1% haste its 1% cast speed, which matters because for classes like rogues it doesn't increase their energy regen. Also Blood Elfs Arcane Torrent interrupts in PVE, and prolly silences trash mobs. Trolls thing doesn't effect stuns, same with the casting speed it isn't the same thing as haste. It doesn't cause stuff to tick more.

Troll is best damage wise, Goblin is 2nd but offers more for situational stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by crono1224 View Post
    That article is wrong about goblins its not 1% haste its 1% cast speed, which matters because for classes like rogues it doesn't increase their energy regen. Also Blood Elfs Arcane Torrent interrupts in PVE, and prolly silences trash mobs. Trolls thing doesn't effect stuns, same with the casting speed it isn't the same thing as haste. It doesn't cause stuff to tick more.
    This isn't true because haste plateaus are different for Goblin's than any other race.

I think you're getting caught up with the lazy naming conventions Blizzard have adopted. They will refer to haste by different words/phrases so you think they are conveying a different meaning but they are not.

I remember a point of contention for my prot pally back in BC where reckoning would proc off being melee hit. Those were the days where you had crushing blows so you had to push hit off the combat table in order to never be crushed, so by that terminology you could never be hit (when holy shield was active). It turned out to mean if a melee attack dealt you damage, however (in those days) you could full block an attack if the attack did less or equal damage to your block value, in which case you couldn't proc reckoning but you had still been hit.

This sort of lazy definitions continue to exist and I'm not sure Blizzard see a problem with it. I for one would prefer a concise terminology so we know exactly how things work and will be implemented but that isn't on Blizzard's agenda it would seem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well he did not specify for pvp or pve.
    For aggressive playstyle -> belf
    Likewise defensive playstyle -> undead
    I would def recommend going belf tho either its as sp/disc/holy that silence is just too valuable in arena.

And if you like to play with scripted mobs go do what all the trolls said.

Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka View Post
    This isn't true because haste plateaus are different for Goblin's than any other race.

I think you're getting caught up with the lazy naming conventions Blizzard have adopted. They will refer to haste by different words/phrases so you think they are conveying a different meaning but they are not.

I remember a point of contention for my prot pally back in BC where reckoning would proc off being melee hit. Those were the days where you had crushing blows so you had to push hit off the combat table in order to never be crushed, so by that terminology you could never be hit (when holy shield was active). It turned out to mean if a melee attack dealt you damage, however (in those days) you could full block an attack if the attack did less or equal damage to your block value, in which case you couldn't proc reckoning but you had still been hit.

This sort of lazy definitions continue to exist and I'm not sure Blizzard see a problem with it. I for one would prefer a concise terminology so we know exactly how things work and will be implemented but that isn't on Blizzard's agenda it would seem.
    You aren't addressing the fact that the cast speed/attack speed don't affect rogues energy regen like straight haste does (Gemmed/enchanted or just on gear), which was my point. Also it doesn't reduce GCD, which haste does.

That article is wrong about goblins its not 1% haste its 1% cast speed, which matters because for classes like rogues it doesn't increase their energy regen.
    ASDASDASDASDASD ITS 1% HASTE NOT 1% CASTING SPEED.

IT'S TRUE HASTE, NOT CASTING SPEED

Come on, it's more than a year since the launch of Cata, and ppl still think we are in TBC. If you have no clue how the mechanics of haste works, don't post. And yes, caps was intended, it draws the much needed attention.

The Hero/BL tooltip also states that it gives casting speed, not Haste. Go figure.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

I'd say undead for pvp! And for pve, it doesn't matter that much! Take whatever you think look the coolest(don't choose tauren please, i'll haunt you down)
    Spotify - Hardstyle | Hardcore

Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    ASDASDASDASDASD ITS 1% HASTE NOT 1% CASTING SPEED.

Come on, it's more than a year since the launch of Cata, and ppl still think we are in TBC. If you have no clue how the mechanics of haste works, don't post. And yes, caps was intended, it draws the much needed attention.

The Hero/BL tooltip also states that it gives casting speed, not Haste. Go figure.
    I retract, I was going by the elitist Jerks rogue thing.