Poll: What say ye?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Glitches! Cheating or clever?

This just popped into Skelington's head after thinking about Mario Kart 7 and Maka Wuhu. Of course, this isn't limited to MK7.
    So there is a well-known/semi well-known glitch in a game(any game) that you play with others, and one player utilizes that glitch for victory. Now would that be cheating, or would the victor be clever and deserving of the "fair" victory?
    Last edited by Skelington; 2012-01-19 at 05:23 AM.

I think it depends at least a little on the context, but 9 times out of 10 I'd probably just call it cheating.

However, if the glitch or the way it's carried out is funny, then I'd let the cheater thing slide simply because I love a good laugh.

Deleted
    If your purpose is to win or unfair gameplay I consider it as cheating. If it is for fun I'd consider it as fair because let's be fair bugging and glitching is fun to do.

Abusing game-breaking glitches/exploits in a multiplayer game is cheating. Skipping half of a course is 100% cheating.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

If all the players playing know about the glitch then it's fair play in my opinion. If only one does and uses it I would say it's cheating.

10+ Year Old Account
    Finland, the night is dark and full of terrors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Creeper View Post
    I think it depends at least a little on the context, but 9 times out of 10 I'd probably just call it cheating.

However, if the glitch or the way it's carried out is funny, then I'd let the cheater thing slide simply because I love a good laugh.
    You pretty much stole the words from my mouth.

Definitely depends on context.

Against other players and who you're up against doesn't know what the glitch is? Cheating.

Not against other players or you both know of the glitch? Fair play.

It's not ever clever though, not in competition at least.

I play a crappy F2P game that has glitches basically as a weekly occurence. Some event started today where you basically got free items for logging in and collecting some stuff. However, they screwed it up and you could do every day's events in one day instead of the normal 8 it would've taken normally. I abused the heck out of it, because 1) the game's PvE only, and 2) the rewards are untradeable. It's not morally correct, but all it really hurts is my conscience a bit. In that same game, some people dupe the hell out of things which ruins other people's economic investments (and real money, in many cases) or they vac hack and ruin training maps. That's hurting other people, so it's bad to me.

VERY dependant on the context, but generally I'd side with "cheater" more often than not. Glitches will always exist and players will always find a way to take advantage of them. There's a reason that using "glitches" is banned in tournament play in every pretty much every single game that I can think of off the top of my head.

if they use it in multiplayer, yes it's cheating.

got sick of people doing things in games. everything from sniping me from inaccessible locations to glitching through walls so they could fire at me, but I couldn't get at them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Fair game.

It's a glitch. They all have the ability to do it. I would skip half the course in Mario Kart 64 in Wario's Stadium. Everybody can do this.

Sure, the first time they don't know about it, it's just funny. After that? Fair game.

Mario Kart is broken anyway, because it gives rewards for sucking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    This just popped into Skelington's head after thinking about Mario Kart 7 and Maka Wuhu. Of course, this isn't limited to MK7.
    So there is a well-known/semi well-known glitch in a game(any game) that you play with others, and one player utilizes that glitch for victory. Now would that be cheating, or would the victor be clever and deserving of the "fair" victory?
    skipping a whole section of rainbow road
    dictated but not read.

15+ Year Old Account
    In a mutiplayer game. Cheating. They mad
    In a single-player game: Clever. Or stupid and makes you start over.

Oh wow.
    Voted before reading the OP.
    Glitches afaik are unintended and most of the time, they are useless or funny.
    Now, if you are using a "glitch" to win at any game, then it's not a glitch. I'd call it an exploit, which clearly was unintended and needs to be fixed.
    2 different things IMO.
    All right, so that last test was seriously disappointing. Apparently, being civil isn't motivating you, so let's try it her way, all right, fatty? Adopted... fatty! Fatty, fatty no parents?

I'm a bit curious as to why some people think that glitches should be considered cheating in multiplayer, but fair play in single player.
    Is it because you don't have an advantage over other players? What if it's a single player game with rankings?

Personally I think it's cheating in both cases. In one case you cheat other people and the game. In the other you just cheat the game (as it's clearly not the intended way).

Clever would be something that's executed without using glitches, but in an original way.

10+ Year Old Account
    guess it depends on the glitch if doing a really hard challenge and you happen to find a glitch to make it easier sure go for it but if its like glitching into a wall so you can shoot them but not get hit then id deff call it a cheat

15+ Year Old Account
    It really depends.
    Is there something I can do against the glitch?
    How much of an advantage does the glitch give?

If there was some glitch that let you be immortal while carrying the flag in WSG I'd flame the hell of the person using it. Even if both sides "could" use it.

But if it was a glitch that allowed the person to get to the other base two seconds faster because he jumped through a wall or something, I'd be fine with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd probably call it cheating, unless everyone else was using it too.

Then it's fair game. But under normal circumstances, it gives you an advantage over other players that they can't get.

Quote Originally Posted by Liara View Post
    I'm a bit curious as to why some people think that glitches should be considered cheating in multiplayer, but fair play in single player.
    Is it because you don't have an advantage over other players?
    I agree.
    Anything that gives you an unfair advantage I consider it exploit. Even in single players games, because it ruins the fun (e.g. last boss of the game and you beat it with one single shot of a random weapon).
    Glitches are supposed to be completely useless in the way they don't benefit you at all, and in some cases, they hurt you
    If you can, check MOTHERFUCKING Mike at Youtube and his Game Glitches videos. Some of them are pretty funny xD
    All right, so that last test was seriously disappointing. Apparently, being civil isn't motivating you, so let's try it her way, all right, fatty? Adopted... fatty! Fatty, fatty no parents?

Most of the time, I'd just call it cheating. Using mushrooms to rocket over a jump and skip part of the course? Well, there are legit places for that, so I'd let those slide, assuming it's not something huge.

Star road's jump to skip half..... if you screw up, you died and went back to the starting line. We knew about it, but most people didn't think it was worth the risk (and it was a pain to practice).

The frozen lake one, where you'd jump off, get lap credit, then placed behind the finish/start line and get credit again. That's abusing a bug and cheating.
    -----+-- [Thaddius] ++++++++

Just because you are unique, does not mean you are right.
    Ðoser of Illidan

Deleted
    If it's the javellin glitch from MW2 I'd say you are scum, sub-human scum.
    If it's a glitch where your character hovers in the air at the same movement speed I would lol.

Point being, the glitch depends on the context.

Where it's used, the intent or purpose of glitching, the effect it has in multiplayer and how effective is the glitch.