Thread: China release

China release

Hi folks

Different from the recent Asian server thread

Anyone know if there's been any further word on the Asian release? I remember reading somewhere that it would come later than US and Europe...but I haven't heard any other news since then.
    Specifically, I'm wondering about a China release. Has there seen any word on it from Anet?
    I also think I remember reading something about NCSoft's normal guys Tencent running it here...can't source though.
    I know GW1 was pulled because China wanted a China only server. Damn them
    With the supposed ease we will have in GW2 with jumping servers...I'm also concerned about how viable a China only server would be...

I've got a few friends here who are absolutely clamoring for this game. Totally understandable considering most Asian MMOs...and that they see wow as good alternative....bless.
    Hell, the guy next to me in the office here has literally spent the last 3 hours looking at vids and reading the uninitiated thread He's blown away by the visuals and features.

p.s. please don't turn this into a "China law - panda/skeletons thread"
    Censorship on a piecemeal basis isn't the same as a law. If Anet actually asked nicely and dealt with any concerns...there's no legal reason whatsoever it wouldn't get released Except for maybe the whole international server thing....sigh.
    p.s.s - I'm going to be on a European server I just want my good friends here to be able to play it locally if possible They can always come on an outside server if they want Through...whatever means necessary
    Last edited by Squirrelbanes; 2012-01-19 at 05:44 AM.

Deleted
    Don't want to be a bringer of bad news.. but I doubt it. Normally there would be no restrictions, but remember we have WvWvW. They can't just disable this feature.

One way would be to create China only cluster, but there would have to be quite a few of them to balance the situation, I mean if they would create only 3 servers there would be very quickly 1 full and 2 almost empty servers . Then again it's unknown how much interest there is, so it's hard to tell if there would be enough of China players to populated at least 9 servers.

Overall though, I really do hope they work something out.

Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post
    Don't want to be a bringer of bad news.. but I doubt it. Normally there would be no restrictions, but remember we have WvWvW. They can't just disable this feature.

One way would be to create China only cluster, but there would have to be quite a few of them to balance the situation, I mean if they would create only 3 servers there would be very quickly 1 full and 2 almost empty servers . Then again it's unknown how much interest there is, so it's hard to tell if there would be enough of China players to populated at least 9 servers.

Overall though, I really do hope they work something out.
    Aye...would be nice if even 0.10% of them got involved still a huge number of people
    The WvWvW...yeah...that could really suffer, and may not even be possible
    From what I've seen...there hasn't been much, or even maybe any, advertising here...the colleague who I mentioned hadn't even heard of it...and he's a massive gamer - to the extent that he'll probably be doing wow's LFR in the office in the afternoon lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't you just buy an American copy and find a way to get around China preventing you from connecting to any of the servers, or would that break the law?

Gonna buy a European copy personally
    I'm just trying to get my Chinese friends here buzzed about GW2 They'll def be able to do what you say...almost everyone here has some "leaping the great firewall" trick But ofc they'd rather play locally in their own language
    And I really don't give a rat's arse about breaking their stupid internet laws tbh I do every day lol. But let's not get started on that...grrrrr.

15+ Year Old Account
    Off topic, but dang Squirrel, I think you need to lay of the smilies a bit. I see your posts and they are littered with the damn things.

errrr....sorry....I'm a smily kinda guy

If the game is a success Asians will play the game as well, GW1 have a seperate server for Chinese/Japanese and Korean players and during the first 2 years there was 1 PvP Guild (The Last Pride [EvIL]) who was better than everyone else, they were 'unbeatable', not sure how they broke up though..

Deleted
    Yeh, I also believe that once there are enough chinese people interested and father China gives it approval, they can make china only servers. Other companies did it.

Thanks
    My colleague has actually looked into it loads now and there's quite a following over here. He's found a forum that has 75,000 members, for example. He's totally psyched lol.
    I'm confident Anet won't sniff at such a huge potential market. Bound to work something out.
    ta