Thread: [TV] Alcatraz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    No mystery? The whole premise is a mystery. People disappearing and reappearing later? What force causes this? What motives? Why is their behavior so unchanged? Why do some of them say "they" told them to do things? There's a LOT of secrets going on here, which is why I'm so interested.
    I'm not saying there isn't any mystery, I'm just saying that they aren't throwing in tons of mysteries at once to the viewers, like in Fringe or Lost, for example. I do think that the big mystery of the show is really fascinating and it makes it interesting to watch. But there are also many other aspects that make the show great for me.

The intro to the show is: "[This is what happened]...Only that's not what happened."

That one line just makes me feel sad inside.
    I think you are missing the point of this quote. At first, he is saying what everyone BELIEVES had happened, but then he proclaims that it's not at all what had actually happened on that day in 1963.
    Last edited by mmocf478201052; 2012-03-07 at 04:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its another show with a great potential that seems to be going to waste, just like Terra Nova.

I've seen a few episodes, but I'm gonna save them for later and watch at once mostly because I wont have anything else

not too bad, hope it last longer than black alias.

Quote Originally Posted by Merite View Post
    The intro to the show is: "[This is what happened]...Only that's not what happened."

You're missing the point of the line. It's poking fun at the idea of believing everything you hear.

He states the known "fact" about Alcatraz in a style as if he's starting a documentary. Then, in stark contrast, he says that never happened. It's to set a mood and feel for the show.

I was unsure at first cause I thought it was going to be like lost somehow... But this show is by far the best show right now thats new and not a reality show

Quote Originally Posted by Merite View Post

This, this, and this again.

And before anyone says "you didn't get the point!" it's pretty hard to miss, especially if you've watched even a single episode... but that doesn't change that it's an awful line and absolutely terrible writing. Why they would put that in the intro is beyond me, it's like they're trying to drive people away. "Only that's not what happened at all..." Yeah, that's the sort of thing I would have thought dramatic and intriguing in the fourth grade.

Anyway... I've been kind of watching it still. I'm a few episodes behind, though, because I'm very rapidly losing interest. The pilot was decent, at least enough to make me give it another chance, and the second episode was just a phenomenal performance out of Joe Egender, but since then nothing has really caught my interest. It seems to me that it's going down the tried and true path of the procedural with a gimmick, and if it keeps up I see no reason to continue watching it.
    Verily, thou shalt rejoice in the house of the tentacle.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    This, this, and this again.

And before anyone says "you didn't get the point!" it's pretty hard to miss, especially if you've watched even a single episode... but that doesn't change that it's an awful line and absolutely terrible writing. Why they would put that in the intro is beyond me, it's like they're trying to drive people away. "Only that's not what happened at all..." Yeah, that's the sort of thing I would have thought dramatic and intriguing in the fourth grade.
    I really don't see why that would drive people away... it's a pretty petty thing. I think it's good writing, and it states a lot. Why, exactly, is it bad writing? Someone tell me, because all I can see is why it's GOOD writing.

They state what happened (in official reports) as a fact. This is to draw attention to the fact that people believe everything they hear and read. Then, he states that it didn't happen, also as a fact, to shatter that preconceived notion with strong contradiction. How is this bad writing?

Thanks to this thread, I might not get any sleep tonight...
    Just got the episodes, and cant stop watching :<