Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why is notepad so bad????

Doing my HS freshman english essay project on notepad is fucking brutal... its almost a joke how this counts as a mid-term project

you cant make headings different sizes from the body and word wrap doesnt even work when you try to manually center words with tab/space... the printed pages become a shit-stain with words all over the place

did microsoft make notepad so bad that it makes more people buy office word? if thats the case then they did a fucking good job at it because i feel like dropping 250$ for it

O.o the hell do i do?

Notepad isnt designed for word processing, its for very quick things or doing code edits.

Use Wordpad or Open Office. Both are free.

I havn't used it in a while, but you might try openoffice? it's an open source office-like suite of programs and might have more use than wordpad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wordpad is better.

Google Docs is even better.

Only use notepad for, well, notes. And in that case, my phone has a notepad.

HTML- If you have time to complain you have to time to learn to hand code. I used to be able to do it back in high school but my skills slowly died.

WordPad, or if you want something more robust, OpenOffice. WordPad always sufficed for my needs though.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperomegaOP View Post
    Doing my HS freshman english essay project on notepad is fucking brutal... its almost a joke how this counts as a mid-term project

you cant make headings different sizes from the body and word wrap doesnt even work when you try to manually center words with tab/space... the printed pages become a shit-stain with words all over the place

did microsoft make notepad so bad that it makes more people buy office word? if thats the case then they did a fucking good job at it because i feel like dropping 250$ for it

O.o the hell do i do?
    Notepad is specifically designed to add no formatting to text (It just writes plain text files, which is quite useful). If you use it for what it is intended, its great. As stated above try wordpad (Which is free with all versions of Windows btw). In addition, you can get a free version of Word now, and the only difference is a few less options and a not that annoying ad in the bottom right.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Try Wordpad?
    DUDE................. smart people how do they work?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

I use notepad for scripting edits, I use word for work, and I use wordpad or notepad(depending what im doing) for scribles, notes, what have you.

They're all meant for different things as people above have said.

Notepad++ my friend.

<mod snip>

Download OpenOffice.....Free and near exact same as MS Office for people who don't want to buy/torrent it.
    Last edited by Dacien; 2012-01-19 at 11:57 PM.

Deleted
    Get Openoffice, it's free and nearly as good as MS Office.
    Download it here: http://www.openoffice.org/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaphiste View Post
    Notepad++ my friend.
    Although Notepad++ is awesome, it won't help with what the OP wants. He needs a word processor, so a full feature text editor isn't what he's looking for.

OP: Grab Open Office or Libre Office. Both are free and compatible with MS Office documents. Or if you are on a computer where you don't want to install anything give Google Docs a try.
    Tobyas (85) :: Tobykenobi (85) :: Uruu (85):: Mykka (52)
    <-- All Chars on Ice Since March 2011 -->
    Currently Playing: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Deleted
    Notepad? Mr. Mononucleosis, we have hit a clue smorgasboard as to your problem.

Wordpad is your friend.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    Is this a troll thread?
    Nope, just a freshman.

It's notepad. Of course it sucks for word processing; IT'S JUST A NOTEPAD!

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.openoffice.org

Brilliant alternative to Microsoft Office, also it's free.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Google Doc ..

Cheers

download openoffice