Do "lag macros" actually exist?

I've heard some people saying that it's possible to create a macro that is tied into all their abilities which will make enemy players around them lag out, giving them an advantage in PVP.

I have witnessed sometimes when fighting melees that they seem to "zip" across the screen back and forth, making it very difficult to fight them properly. Latency goes up and frame rate seems to become juddery as well, and it only happens occasionly and only when fighting melees. I'm not sure if I believe it's possible to do this though, I would not have thought of it if I hadn't heard other people say so.

So is it actually possible for people to use these "lag macros" or are these just random occurences?

15+ Year Old Account
    You can make lag macros to make yourself lag, but it will not effect other people, but as you said they might look like they are 'zipping' across the screen.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

They most definitely do. I know a couple feral druids on my server that use them all the time and openly talk about it.

Deleted
    Well, back in wrath, a troll (actually a tauren, but you get it) on our server used the fishing macro. Wich made the server lag and go down (causing world server down). He even posted a vid on youtube about it. I can say that people were so mad they even found out his adress and name, yeah, everyone hated him.
    Blizzard later implented the 0.5sec GCD (I think) on the fishing skill.

That is the only macro I can think about. And I dont think there is a macro that will make other lagg.

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    You can make lag macros to make yourself lag, but it will not effect other people, but as you said they might look like they are 'zipping' across the screen.
    No, thats just normal lag.

The lag macro is extremely old (goes back to TBC if not Vanilla). It is also very situational as it freezes the computer of the offender (yes, I did try it a while back). What it does is make your connection freeze for an instant and the game thinks you're actually still moving for maybe a second. The only "practical" use (still ban-worthy and you should never use it) is that you can activate it while running towards an edge in arena and the other players will see your character running over the edge and falling. When you stop the macro, you are back at your real position, say on top of the bridge on blade's edge arena.

There are macros that make you lag, for a set amount of time (you can set it to whatever you want). I don't know about macros that make others lag.
    Jsz
    <Losers Club> US-Alliance

d u m b c a s u a l s l u t

Deleted
    never heard of a "Lag" macro before

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    it works.

It basically makes you lag your connection so you stand still on other players screens. Then you stop spamming and your character warps to where you are on your screen, but on their screen.

It only works if you have a heal bot too, preferably a resto druid for HOTs.

The macros are widely available on youtube and google with 30 seconds of searching. Many have publicized them in an attempt to get blizzard to notice and fix it (surprise- its still not fixed).

The end effect is that it desyncs your actual hitboxes server-side location vs the clients predicted location for character model display so badly that it is virtually impossible to discern someones 'real' location or direction. Frequent use of small lag spikes can greatly emphasize the blinking around you see some people do. Sprint/Dash with lag spikes turn them into the flash. Not everyone who zips around is exploiting though, WoWs networking protocol is just really terrible at client movement prediction. Laggy fire mages zipping around may as well be invisible.

Deleted
    yes definately, used alot in rated bgs to stop the other team killing you e.g 5 mins left on wsg ure 1-0 up and you dont want the team to get thier flag.
    you then use a lag macro on a keybind mouse e.g a razer naga and you will be running on the same spot but inhitiable because ure actually somewhere else.
    very effective but banable i think.

As a minigame in my raid we often compete /roll 100. I used a rapid fire mouse at 100 clicks a second on the macro. It forced everyones chat panel to keep up with all roll outcomes and kept the whole group totally lagged as long as I held the button down. I daresay if you used in in LFR it could be a tool for evil.......

Quote Originally Posted by Buutch View Post
    Well, back in wrath, a troll (actually a tauren, but you get it) on our server used the fishing macro. Wich made the server lag and go down (causing world server down). He even posted a vid on youtube about it. I can say that people were so mad they even found out his adress and name, yeah, everyone hated him.
    Blizzard later implented the 0.5sec GCD (I think) on the fishing skill.

That is the only macro I can think about. And I dont think there is a macro that will make other lagg.
    I remember that. Didn't he get a permaban for it?

Deleted
    Never heard of them, but it's an interesting concept. Do you think it should be banworthy?

You can crash a server if you choose to. So yes, lag macros exist and are used.

For example, to bypass the "No Mans Land" debuff that used to exist in Hyjal and "new" Cata zones pre Cata release. Like Uldum

edit: typo
    Last edited by Gavll; 2012-01-22 at 10:06 PM.

Feral druids seem to be the worst offenders I've found, as it combines with feral swiftness and makes it look like they are just zigzaging in random directions past your character in 10yrd intervals,and they seem to hit you everytime but are always out of melee range.

At least every few battlegrounds there is a feral doing this.
    Last edited by Pool of the Dead; 2012-01-22 at 10:12 PM.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

Yeah I've seen some terrible rogues use it before, I always think they're just sprinting with it glyphed for 100% run speed at first, does almost the same effect unless it's always been these macros but I never knew they were macro's that's pretty interesting, and low. Sometimes it's just so ridiculous I know it's either a hack or whatever.