Page 1 of 18
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

"Americans have no freedoms"

Anyone else get really pissed off when you hear someone say this?

With all this SOPA/PIPA crap going on, more and more idiots on facebook/etc keep on saying "I thought we had freedom in America..." or "The Gov't takes away all our freedom", and my only response is always:

If you think Americans have no freedom, go to Iran, go to Syria, China or North Korea. You'll be begging for American freedom in a day.

Anyone else have opinions on this?
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

Ignorance is everywhere. If you let it get to you, you'll just go insane.

Personally I always think its cute to put a "s" at the end of freedoms.

OT: I'm pretty sure these people know we have some freedom, our Bill of Rights is still in effects like always. These people are probably just using this as an expression that more and more of our normal life is being changed for the worse. (In their opinion)

People take for granted the things that have always and will likely continue to exist for them.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    We Americans have plenty of freedoms, But every year, We seems to be slowly losing more and more of it. It is getting to the point it doesn't even feel like America anymore. I wanted to protest Sopa/Pipa at my town hall But If I had, I COULD have been arrested regardless of my right to free speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Krunsh View Post
    We Americans have plenty of freedoms, But every year, We seems to be slowly losing more and more of it. It is getting to the point it doesn't even feel like America anymore. I wanted to protest Sopa/Pipa at my town hall But If I had, I COULD have been arrested regardless of my right to free speech.
    What exactly would be the offensive?

I believe the point is that people don't expect that they have to fight for their freedoms. Most people have severe entitlement issues when it comes to such instances. Freedom in the U.S. was fought for with blood and sweat, we should do no less, I say. Some people don't believe that they should have to fight, that someone else should take care of it for them... which why we have this problem in the first place...

Quote Originally Posted by Krunsh View Post
    its because they usually know, but once someone starts protesting, others join in and so forth, shit goes bad. people dont notice you lose your freedom if you do it slowly enough fyi op

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree. People who act like America is no longer free are idiots, though I do try to ignore them, it is difficult because while we're not as free as we have been, and perhaps we're not as free as we should be, we are certainly pretty damn free!
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

One of the reasons we seem to maintain our free society so well is because of how up in arms we get over anything that might lessen our freedoms, no matter how trivial.

this sopa/pipa thing would have never passed even with all the hype it has gotten. its just another one of those bullshit laws that where proposed and would have gotten shot down.
    RIP Steve Jobs. a great man who gave the world great products.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    One of the reasons we seem to maintain our free society so well is because of how up in arms we get over anything that might lessen our freedoms, no matter how trivial.
    yep we must always be aware. "those who would give up liberty for safety deserve neither." - ben franklin

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingMuffin69 View Post
    this sopa/pipa thing would have never passed even with all the hype it has gotten. its just another one of those bullshit laws that where proposed and would have gotten shot down.
    Not true, it definitely had a lot of support.

Quote Originally Posted by Byniri View Post
    Anyone else get really pissed off when you hear someone say this?

With all this SOPA/PIPA crap going on, more and more idiots on facebook/etc keep on saying "I thought we had freedom in America..." or "The Gov't takes away all our freedom", and my only response is always:

If you think Americans have no freedom, go to Iran, go to Syria, China or North Korea. You'll be begging for American freedom in a day.

Anyone else have opinions on this?
    You do understand when we complain about SOPA/PIPA its because we know it will make us end up like "Iran/Syria/China/North Korea", and i think you and i can agree we don't want that......not at all.

When people make these statements "I thought we had freedom in America..." what they really mean is "Holy Shit America is slowly becoming North Korea" of course they understand the U.S.A still has some pretty kick arse freedom, they just word their expression wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Fawxey View Post
    You do understand when we complain about SOPA/PIPA its because we know it will make us end up like "Iran/Syria/China/North Korea", and i think you and i can agree we don't want that......not at all.

When people make these statements "I thought we had freedom in America..." what they really mean is "Holy Shit America is slowly becoming North Korea" of course they understand the U.S.A still has some pretty kick arse freedom, they just word their expression wrong.
    Because extremism is a much easier to topic to debate against.

It sucks but its not the end of the world.

AS LONG AS THEY DONT TAKE AWAY MY GUNS AND MY RIGHT TO MAKE ALCOHOL I SHALL BE OK!

Wait, making moonshine is illegal? I say we protest this moonshine thing personally, fuck the internet lets all get together making alcohol and not having to pay taxes on it..

SERIOUS NOTE:

I agree with everyone else. People are just ignorant and don't realize how good civilians in the United States have it..send them to Iran or North Korea for a week and see how pissed they get when they realize they can't eat McDonalds with their cokes while watching tv..

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
    I believe the point is that people don't expect that they have to fight for their freedoms. Most people have severe entitlement issues when it comes to such instances. Freedom in the U.S. was fought for with blood and sweat, we should do no less, I say. Some people don't believe that they should have to fight, that someone else should take care of it for them... which why we have this problem in the first place...
    yeah, but should we really have to fight our own government?
    22 miles of hard road
    33 years of tough luck
    44 skulls buried in the ground
    Crawling down through the muck
    Ah yeah...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbadxampl View Post
    yeah, but should we really have to fight our own government?
    Assuming worst comes to worse, yes. Honestly war and violence is simply a failure to listen.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

This is essentially how i see the OP "How dare you complain about your broken leg, because child birth hurts more and your a male and cant even experience that kind of pain"