Poll: Cauldron of Jordan and Nephalem Cube GONE. Like it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Xebu View Post
    The only decent argument I have read against this, is that when you are playing with 3 strangers, you will have to coordinate with them when to do a "town break". Since different people will need to do them more frequently than others, and will need more time in Town than others, this could cause some inconvenience. However, D2 was like that, and I don't remember any inconvenience whatsoever.
    Well if someone enters the crypt with a full inventory, then even with the cube and cauldron it would cause delays "Sorry gusy 2s need to cube". Townporting would should only take a few seconds longer in walking/loading time.
    Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

Don't like it. I liked the freedom of the cube and cauldron, just because you had them doesn't mean you couldn't just choose on your own will to have a nice little town/crafting break every here and there. Without them, it just makes it so your inventory decides when that needs to happen, not your mood. One of the things I really loved about playing Torchlight was the ability to send the pet back to town and keep slaughtering on your own, rather than having to make trips all the time.

I can understand where Blizzard is coming from that "breaks in the action" are necessary and actually help the overall feel of the game, my argument is just that I think it should be up to the player when they want to take the break and not their bags.

I guess I can only hope the bag capacity is far greater than it was in D2, which it seems to be, so I'm sure it will play just fine in the end. Just get it on the shelves already DAMN!

Deleted
    Yes.

Sometimes convenience isn't the best thing for gameplay.

That said, it has to be easy to visit the town to compensate.

Deleted
    Yes, the old-school town portal is and will be always the best thing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xebu View Post
    The only decent argument I have read against this, is that when you are playing with 3 strangers, you will have to coordinate with them when to do a "town break". Since different people will need to do them more frequently than others, and will need more time in Town than others, this could cause some inconvenience. However, D2 was like that, and I don't remember any inconvenience whatsoever.
    it could also be
    "Hey gys I need to go salvage/sell/whatever"
    "oh hey my inventory is not full but me too"
    "I'm gonna get a drink then"
    "I just need to go to the bathroom"

can be an excuse for simply a quick break

there's not a "It does not really make a difference to me" option

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhurn View Post
    Don't like it. I liked the freedom of the cube and cauldron, just because you had them doesn't mean you couldn't just choose on your own will to have a nice little town/crafting break every here and there. Without them, it just makes it so your inventory decides when that needs to happen, not your mood. One of the things I really loved about playing Torchlight was the ability to send the pet back to town and keep slaughtering on your own, rather than having to make trips all the time.

I can understand where Blizzard is coming from that "breaks in the action" are necessary and actually help the overall feel of the game, my argument is just that I think it should be up to the player when they want to take the break and not their bags.

I guess I can only hope the bag capacity is far greater than it was in D2, which it seems to be, so I'm sure it will play just fine in the end. Just get it on the shelves already DAMN!
    I had a chance to play with them and the reason I like the change is I feel it adds to the game, with them you might as well have unlimited bag space or just forgot about the mobs dropping white items and just swap it to materials/gold. The cube means loot everything, spend a couple of seconds breaking stuff down every half hour or so. The bag space is larger than D2 currently (Roughly twice the size I would guess - part more squares - part items taking less from what I remember)

Deleted
    Not a big deal to me. As long as I can TP anywhere instead of having to find a WP a trip to town won't take long at all.

To be honest, this is not a major change compared to item identification change, I never played LoD, so I don't know if they had changed it but I've dreaded having to find identification scrolls so that I can access the high-quality gear that I disheartedly had to throw out if I'm not able to find one.

Quote Originally Posted by raggard View Post
    I had a chance to play with them and the reason I like the change is I feel it adds to the game, with them you might as well have unlimited bag space or just forgot about the mobs dropping white items and just swap it to materials/gold. The cube means loot everything, spend a couple of seconds breaking stuff down every half hour or so. The bag space is larger than D2 currently (Roughly twice the size I would guess - part more squares - part items taking less from what I remember)
    Yeah good point. With the cube/cauldron gone there is a little more thinking involved when picking up junk. Loot becomes a little more interesting.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Looooove iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

I like it, gives a reason to get a brake from slashing and hashing and bashing mobs and since inventory is way bigger than it used to be in D2 - not a big problem

Deleted
    Personally I like it, going to town and taking a break is important.
    Cauldron of jordan and heplhalem cube encouraged nonstop fighting/grind
    and it was breaking the fun of running places and in the end of the run
    you go to town to see what you got

I really liked the item of the cube and cauldron, but than again what it did do is you just picked everything up no matter what it was so you'd either get craft mats or gold. By having to go to town, psychologicly you want ot keep killling stuff so you don't pick as much just so you can keep going. Self-triage.

That I think is more int he Diablo serie spirit. Not really having to go back to town, but having to deal with inventory space and item drops. If it's a mindless loot all, then sell/salvage all, you aren't managing your inventory at all, might as well turn it into an item list instead with no limit :/
    CATA BETA CLUB!
    HearthStone BETA CLUB!

I voted "don't like it", but to be clear what I actually don't like is the entire concept behind having items that are designed to be worthless. Even gray stuff in WoW brings in quite a bit of gold from vendors... but they specifically stated that if players start picking up white items to sell, then they'll reduce the value of the items even further.

There is no point to having the stuff there if it's worthless. It doesn't make it more exciting to find something good, because that good thing would have been just as rare/common, and just as exciting, without being buried in a pile of crap.

Since the removal of the Cauldron and the Cube was part of a larger design philosophy to throw worthless items all over the place for no particular reason, I dislike it.

---------- Post added 2012-01-31 at 10:26 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jawstrock View Post
    That I think is more int he Diablo serie spirit. Not really having to go back to town, but having to deal with inventory space and item drops. If it's a mindless loot all, then sell/salvage all, you aren't managing your inventory at all, might as well turn it into an item list instead with no limit :/
    When I played Diablo2, for a very long time I sold absolutely everything that dropped, which necessitated a huge number of trips to town. Eventually, I learned that you needed to not loot some stuff.... and I cared less about what dropped, because I knew most of it was worthless.

Managing your inventory is fine. But this new system where items are designed to be skipped isn't management, it's just "don't take the items whose color indicates they're worthless".
    Last edited by darkwarrior42; 2012-01-31 at 10:26 AM.

Deleted
    Just from the beta experience I don't like it so far, but thats just because I had 2 incidents where my inv was full in the first patch 10 playthrough haha

I think the real reason as to why they removed them is that cities will play a bigger role in Diablo 3 than they did in 1&2. If you watch the caldeum preview video from Blizzcon 2011 then you will notice right away that it's very very big in comparison to the cities in previous titles. So I guess they thought it would be a shame if people hardly ever end up being in those cities.

seems far more realistic to have to go to town and do all that stuff. Yes yes I know, realism in a videogame lol. But there are some things that are good.

OMG THIS RUINS THE GAME D3 WILL NEVER BEAT WOW IT'LL ONLY LAST 2 WEEKS THEN LOSE ALL SU... nvm.

I can't really see the presence / absence of the Caulron & the Cube as anything but small matters of convenience, and who cares really? Convenience actually has the possibility of ruining gameplay, even though some lazy sobs will always advocate it.