Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rezoacken View Post
    I think I have already read about these complaints 50 times already. Go read the arguments in those thread (here, bnet or D3 fan forum).

1. No offline mode: this is the age, D3 is not the first not the last. It fights piracy, hacking etc. Especially for D3 the purpose is to have a lot of content server side, it makes hacking harder (not impossible) and piracy too. Don't know what is so hard to understand, Blizzard is not a charity they will protect their sales, your complaint is irrelevant.

2. RMAH: D3 is a solo and coop game, why do you care that someone use money ? It already happens in every other RPG and diablo 2.

3. CE: That is the purpose of CE. You throw extra money in for special cosmetics. At least your character don't get an unfair advantage.

4. Mods: Same as point 1.

5. Without this restriction, a lot of shit would be posted on those forums, spams, phishing attempts etc. Yeah the game is taking way too long and it irritates me.
    I agree on everything you said..except number 4.

Lack of mods in PC games is disappointing. Be it an FPS or RPG, modding adds life to games, keeps servers bolstered and can improve a game from mediocre to amazing.

Look at HoN or Counter Strike for instance. Those games wouldn't exist without modding. Look at COD4 vs any COD after it on PC. HORRIBLE. Look at the improvements people have done to Skyrim...I mean..c'mon!

Modding a right of passage for PC gamers..it's one of the main reasons a lot of us play PC games. If they gave us mods, but monitored what was being done with them in some way or made it so we couldn't imbalance the game I think it would make the game even better.

Quote Originally Posted by iCandy View Post
    I agree on everything you said..except number 4.

Lack of mods in PC games is disappointing. Be it an FPS or RPG, modding adds life to games, keeps servers bolstered and can improve a game from mediocre to amazing.

Look at HoN or Counter Strike for instance. Those games wouldn't exist without modding. Look at COD4 vs any COD after it on PC. HORRIBLE. Look at the improvements people have done to Skyrim...I mean..c'mon!

Modding a right of passage for PC gamers..it's one of the main reasons a lot of us play PC games. If they gave us mods, but monitored what was being done with them in some way or made it so we couldn't imbalance the game I think it would make the game even better.
    Well yes its disappointing.

What I meant in my point 4 is that there are no mods BECAUSE of point 1. The measures they take for D3 against hacking and piracy are directly making the game unmodable (or very unfriendly). There is a lot of things server side, making it hard to mod.

I use mods, especially in the total war series where without them games are pretty bad. I don't think I would have liked mods for D3 that much but I understand the frustration, the thing is, this is a necessary move for D3 for which I cannot see how Blizzard could make both sides happy.

15+ Year Old Account
    I suspect that the restrictions on both modding and offline play are to help combat potential RMAH abuse -- with an offline client, it's easier for people to find and exploit cheats, create bots, and so on. Same if they open up the api for modding -- if there are any vulnerabilities, it can lead to large real money losses.

Maybe they'll reconsider after they've established the game and can spend time securing every single part of it.

Single player will always open the door to hacks, look at D1/2. I doubt we will ever see single player mode, by Blizzard anyway. In time, some extremely creative people may find a way to emulate is, since this already exists for the beta, but from what I understand they would have to recreate a lot of the game themselves (such as mob AI).

I mean, after how hack infested the first two games were, I expect them to be very serious about online only play that they can not only monitor, but protect. Also, as you said, the RMAH gives them actual in their face consequences if they allow bots/hacks/dupes to exist.

My only complaint so far is the no offline mode. They could have had characters separate from online and offline. Not sure if they gave their reasoning as to why there will be no offline mode, but yeah... :\

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    My only complaint so far is the no offline mode. They could have had characters separate from online and offline. Not sure if they gave their reasoning as to why there will be no offline mode, but yeah... :\
    Can't be arsed to find a link to the actual blue post, google brought this up pretty fast:

Quote Originally Posted by Lothias View Post
    I quote -

According to Rob Pardo, executive producer of Diablo III, this was done mainly to combat the style of hacking present in previous versions of Diablo. "In both Diablo and especially in Diablo II, I think the intuition for a lot of people when they're playing the game is 'I want to make my character offline away from that scary battle net environment. And then once I have this powerful character, I'll jump online.' But the problem with that concept is we can't really detect if they're cheating. They might have the capability to hack their character, things like that, so at that point we can't really allow that character to be in the battle net environment. Then they're going to have to restart their character, which is exactly what happened in Diablo II, which was really unfortunate."

"Your character will be online on battle net the moment you start playing," said Pardo. "You can play a solo experience like you would in Diablo II, it's just your character is on Blizzard's servers and authenticated." This character can then hop into multiplayer games and trade items with others through battle net.

This system functions essentially like an MMO, where if your connection is interrupted during a game you'll be dropped back out to the login screen. It differs from what Blizzard did with StarCraft II because though the Wings of Liberty required an initial online activation, the campaign could still be played in an offline mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Can't be arsed to find a link to the actual blue post, google brought this up pretty fast:
    Thank you very much, Lysah.

I suppose I can respect their decision there, though. My only concern with the off/online modes was having some characters for just solo play I guess, so as long as having a bunch of characters is possible, I have no complaints then. :P

Deleted
    My biggest concern with diablo 3 is that the graphics looks like wow graphics. Always liked the more dark and realistic graphics in diablo 2 now its more like a cartoon game.
    The game play might still be good and havent played it so cant judge it yet. But if its a failure diablo 2 still exists atleast

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    The reason like I stated multiple time is that A LOT of things are server side, exactly like a mmo. Ennemy AI, random map generator, loot drops etc are all information generated by the server and delivered to the client.

Why ? It makes hacking and boting harder since these information must be reversed engineered in order to be known. It allows blizzard to have better control to fight hacks and bots. It also make a pirated version useless until there are pirate servers, and even then official servers will still be probably superior in quality and updates.

Implications ?
    1. Yes no offline because you copy doesn't have the necessary information to make the game works. You have media files but that's almost it.
    2. No mods.

The fact that they're not throwing it out there at the first possible moment shows that they're trying their hardest to release a quality game. Not many companies hold back on their products for such reasons. Its VERY easy to tell when a company doesn't care about their work. Stuff like "its the same music....but rerecorded at a higher quality" is not one of those signs though. Thats just respecting the classics. You could call Mario games lazy for "reusing" the same 1-Up sound effect I guess even though they always remix it...but thats just as silly as your complaints.
    Last edited by Bombkirby; 2012-01-23 at 05:09 AM.

I'm still bitter that I won't ever get to play Starcraft: Ghost...

On the "no offline play" topic:

Even when I played Diablo 1 it was usually on battle.net games that I would password off to play on my own. There was just better replay value on the multiplayer even then.

You didn't get very many experience levels, if you used a Sorc. you were greatly crippled by your limited access to magic spells, and there were no difficulty levels on single player, not to mention you couldn't show off your sweet character online because battle.net characters (although stored user side) were not compatible with single player or LAN characters.

So let's not go crazy with those rose coloured glasses; Battle.net was still a better option for solo play even on Diablo 1.

Wall of text crits for 9999 damage.

15+ Year Old Account
    In other words:
    "Someone that pays $100 more for an added feature doesn't deserve to have that feature if I don't get it. I want to get the same rewards as someone who is willing to pay way more for the game, this is unfair."

Welcome to the entitlement generation.
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ible View Post
    It is half of what D2 is. Thus it will fail. End of story. And hopefully end of blizzard. May as well play other much better games. And that's easy to say despite game not even released yet, blizzard development is just thAt obvious. LOD was the last expansion they handled successfully. Best they can do now is start D3 all over again and give rollback cata meanwhile. I'll rather farm 50 x shen'dralar exalted than participate in another blizzard crack-addiction-casual-joke. Suppose EUL taught them hard. To bad they never grasped the full concept. It is likely that first year of D3 is semi-hardcore, but I still highly doubt it is anywhere near the difficulty level of D2 and vanilla first quarter.

They should make WC4. It takes a lot more to fail there. So maybe they would manage in this new era of crappy worthless games. Skyrim is due for GOTY. Despite if the game is nowhere near its predecessors. They may as well give Oblivion another one, it is so much better it is to cry of. For not to mention Morrowind is twice what Oblivion is, the concern among gamers should be skyhigh.

Though most is just overly happy of getting a sequel, be it TES5 or D3. Personally I could wait another 10 years if the quality required it.
    Now that you made everybody laughed with this comment about D3 failing you can go back from where you came thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't play?

I mean, I don't know what else to say to this post.

i have no problem farming and making 500 dollars a week sitting on a game

Quote Originally Posted by passetto View Post
    i have no problem farming and making 500 dollars a week sitting on a game
    LOL @ people thinking they can make a living off the RMAH.

I want also to remind everyone here what the Head of Steam said about Piracy. He said it's a Service Problem and Piracy would perish if you supply better service than them. That's easy.! GIVE CREDITS TO YOUR CUSTOMERS GODDAMMIT. Don't gimp a game for your loyal customers just to avoid finding your game on piratebay.
    Piracy would not perish with better services. That's absurd. Laughably so even. A good service reduces piracy, but as long as its incredibly easy to do, and free, piracy will be a big issue.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ible View Post
    Do you know why there are so few armor slots in Skyrim and why the shoulders, chest and legs is all in one? Try finding the answer, and ask yourself if this is a clever restraint to have on games. NEW games.
    Diablo 3 is going to fail because there are two more armor slots? I think out of all developers in the world that Blizzard has proven their primary focus is on the Quality and Content of a game rather then just Money.

---------- Post added 2012-01-23 at 01:26 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rigoremortis View Post
    LOL @ people thinking they can make a living off the RMAH.
    You can turn $10 of Battle.net Bucks into $500+ USD with a little luck. While making a "living" off of the RMAH will be far and few between except for the "professional" item/farming companies that do it. You can easily make enough to supplement your income and have a nice "entertainment" fund. If I can make at least $12.99 a month I can pay for WoW. And play it for free.

Anything over that I'd buy stuff off the Battle.net Store and somethings could perhaps be re-sold for profit or at least break even.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."