Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Which is why Anet have said...u know what? This is flawed. Why should the player base be split? You are ur character.
    You want to pve...go do it.
    You want to pvp...go do it.
    It's really that simple.
    Making you press a button or 2 to go to pvp...is just so much easier than what most games make you do. There's no real reason for it.
    GW2...one server...ur gear doesn't matter. There are no pvp stats.
    You jump into pvp structered. Your gear doesn't mean anything. You fight, and whatever the outcome, you can honestly say that you won or lost based on skill.
    WvWvW. If your level 80, you have everything you need to win. It's epic on a scale that your not likely to have experiened. It's teamwork pvp that looks very promising. DaOC is apparently similar, but I've never played and not had time to look at it yet for a comparison.)
    It takes a while to get used to different ideas after such a long time playing traditional mmos I guess. It does sound very intriguing though and it will be a lot of fun to see how it plays out in practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitus View Post
    It takes a while to get used to different ideas after such a long time playing traditional mmos I guess. It does sound very intriguing though and it will be a lot of fun to see how it plays out in practice.
    Same for me...played wow from vanilla. I've basically quit now...just log on to say hi to ppl and run the odd dungeon with friends.
    If you've not watched the manifesto video....i'd advise taking a look aside from how amazing GW2 looks as well as it's features...hearing their design philosphy is what totally sold if for me.

15+ Year Old Account
    Seriously though, if you like open world PvP, look up what is revealed so far for WvWvW. If you like owPvP, you really should love being in the mists. It still has dynamic events, but they are all pvp flavored and you will be put up against the opposing servers constantly. It means people that want to pve can pve, and people that want to pvp can pvp. I don't see any problems except for greifers and gankers, and I really don't give a rat's ass about them. They can stay in games meant for them.

Deleted
    Same for me...played wow from vanilla. I've basically quit now...just log on to say hi to ppl and run the odd dungeon with friends.
    If you've not watched the manifesto video....i'd advise taking a look aside from how amazing GW2 looks as well as it's features...hearing their design philosphy is what totally sold if for me.
    Yes, that video was good and it's nice to know that they have a definite design goal of not making just another mmo. Refreshing indeed

---------- Post added 2012-01-22 at 04:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    Seriously though, if you like open world PvP, look up what is revealed so far for WvWvW. If you like owPvP, you really should love being in the mists. It still has dynamic events, but they are all pvp flavored and you will be put up against the opposing servers constantly. It means people that want to pve can pve, and people that want to pvp can pvp. I don't see any problems except for greifers and gankers, and I really don't give a rat's ass about them. They can stay in games meant for them.
    As long as the PvP is solid, which it seems to me like it will be, that's the important thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm glad there are no factions in GW2 in wow I can't play my favorite race, because the people I play with don't play the same faction so I end up race changing or re-rolling.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbryn View Post
    I'm glad there are no factions in GW2 in wow I can't play my favorite race, because the people I play with don't play the same faction so I end up race changing or re-rolling.
    On a similar note, I'm glad there are no race/profession restrictions in GW2.
    I randomly ran into a Gnome Paladin thread on the Wow forums, and it reminded me how much I used to hate those restrictions.
    It's particularity lame how they use lore as an excuse, while meanwhile they'll retcon anything no matter how stupid it is (zombie onxyia says hi).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    On a similar note, I'm glad there are no race/profession restrictions in GW2.
    I randomly ran into a Gnome Paladin thread on the Wow forums, and it reminded me how much I used to hate those restrictions.
    It's particularity lame how they use lore as an excuse, while meanwhile they'll retcon anything no matter how stupid it is (zombie onxyia says hi).
    So very true still waiting to play a draeni warlock.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbryn View Post
    So very true still waiting to play a draeni warlock.
    Was on my wishlist for a very long time. Now, they don't have to bother anymore!

10+ Year Old Account
    DAOC is highly regarded as the best open world PvP in gaming and it's exactly what ANet is aiming for. They've said DAOC is their inspiration for WvW.
    So lemme get this straight, is the WvWvW similar to the format that DAoC has with RvRvR? Because right now I have 3 ways of looking at it but I don't know which one is correct:

First one is that its EXACTLY like DAoC, where all players from all the 3 orders share the same server only that each 3 of the orders are 3 seperate instances. (I.e -putting it in wow terms, Order of Whispers is in Kalimdor, Priory is Northrend and Vigil is in EK and the mists is another continent where all 3 just duke it out.)

Second one is that its a little different from DAoC except the only major difference is that ALL 3 orders are on the same server and share the same persistant world (not split apart by instance load screens) except when they enter "the Mists" they're automatically spawned at they're order's starting point in the mists?

And my 3rd guess is that once you pick your order from one of the 3 on the character creation process and finish creating your character, you start on a server with just THAT one certain order populating the entire server and once you enter the Mists you fight people from a different order who are entirely from a completely different server? (i.e. In WoW terms, people from the server Tichondrius fighting people on Kil'jaedan?)

Sorry for the questions, just wondering because the game site doesn't really explain in detail as to how WvWvW works.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Supajayare View Post
    So lemme get this straight, is the WvWvW similar to the format that DAoC has with RvRvR? Because right now I have 3 ways of looking at it but I don't know which one is correct:

First one is that its EXACTLY like DAoC, where all players from all the 3 orders share the same server only that each 3 of the orders are 3 seperate instances. (I.e -putting it in wow terms, Order of Whispers is in Kalimdor, Priory is Northrend and Vigil is in EK and the mists is another continent where all 3 just duke it out.)

Second one is that its a little different from DAoC except the only major difference is that ALL 3 orders are on the same server and share the same persistant world (not split apart by instance load screens) except when they enter "the Mists" they're automatically spawned at they're order's starting point in the mists?

And my 3rd guess is that once you pick your order from one of the 3 on the character creation process and finish creating your character, you start on a server with just THAT one certain order populating the entire server and once you enter the Mists you fight people from a different order who are entirely from a completely different server? (i.e. In WoW terms, people from the server Tichondrius fighting people on Kil'jaedan?)

Sorry for the questions, just wondering because the game site doesn't really explain in detail as to how WvWvW works.
    The orders aren't factions, they don't make you enemies with other orders. They're more like clubs.

WvWvW is like DAOC. It has 4 maps, with the central map being contested and joining together the other 3 maps "owned" by servers. There are loading screens between maps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Supajayare View Post

Every two weeks, it pits three servers against each other, based on the servers' past performance in WvWvW (their server PvP ranking). The battle lasts two weeks, and at the end whoever wins gains ranking while the other two lose ranknig (presumably, not many details on how the ranking system will work exactly). This means that there will pretty much always be a battle going on in The Mists (a WvWvW zone shared by three servers at a time, separated from any one server's version of the game world), but every two weeks it'll recalibrate and match up different servers for the upcoming fortnight's battle.

Say you're on Tichondrius. This week and the next your server is matched up against Kil'Jaeden and Mal'ganis in WvWvW. Each server has a "home" subzone on the larger WvWvW "Mists" map, and there is a neutral area in the middle. At the end of the two week battle, Mal'ganis wins, your server comes in a close second, and Kil'Jaeden loses. Mal'ganis moves up in the server ranking, Tichondrius moves slightly down, and Kil'Jaeden falls farther behind (presumably). A new WvWvW battle starts, and instead of being matched up with KJ and MG again, your server is pitted against two other servers closer to your new rank. Rinse and repeat.

I assume this means that however many servers there are going to be, the total will be divisible by 3.

:P
    Last edited by MissCleo; 2012-01-24 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kanezfan View Post
    I've been reading a lot about GW2 lately and one thing I haven't seen mentioned is factions, you know alliance vs horde. In GW1 we fought the charr but it's been so long since I played, and iirc, the charr were not a playable faction.

I don't really care one way or the other, just curious because I haven't found any info on it at all. WvWvW looks awesome btw.
    while their are not factions their are Orders, which are for fluff than anything else :P
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Order
    I haven't enjoyed myself this much since the sacking of Coruscant!
    -Malgus playing the Mesmer

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    The orders aren't factions, they don't make you enemies with other orders. They're more like clubs.
    The only fighting I see happening is when, in a dungeon, there are 3 seperate explorable modes, each tied to an order and the players fighting over which one they'll take!

Quote Originally Posted by Vewen View Post
    The only fighting I see happening is when, in a dungeon, there are 3 seperate explorable modes, each tied to an order and the players fighting over which one they'll take!
    At least there won't be "no, we're doing this route because I want x gear!" /ragequits. Unless one route is more difficult than another for whatever reason, can't see this being a problem. Especially as you won't really know what will happen lol.

Deleted
    At least there won't be "no, we're doing this route because I want x gear!" /ragequits. Unless one route is more difficult than another for whatever reason, can't see this being a problem. Especially as you won't really know what will happen lol.
    Praise be to Anet.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Thank god for no warring factions, it's probably my #1 gripe with WoW and I hate the impact it has had on other MMO's (like Rift which is pretty much copying it).

I like the idea of world factions like in EQ where there would be factions that would kill you and you had to befriend them before you could interact with them, usually that involved killing members of another faction - but that was NPC factions, so that's was cool with me.

Player factions is the work of the devil.
    Def one of the damning factors that make MMOs about competition instead of cooperation.
    Thank god no more competitive gear treadmill, competitive factions, trinity...
    ...hoping it will all help to create a nicer community

Deleted
    Def one of the damning factors that make MMOs about competition instead of cooperation.
    Asura's aren't welcome in our club house!

Deleted
    Yup, hope it has the same effect as pulling overworked people out of their stressy environment and into one where there are no deadlines, competition and the like. Just the time and space to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    Asura's aren't welcome in our club house!
    LOL! Ur club house smells like wet cat......who would want to come in? o.0
    And ur too big to fit in ours plus the homing missle defense system is programmed against Charr incusrion...
    unless ur bringing pizza. Then it's ok

Quote Originally Posted by Vewen View Post
    Yup, hope it has the same effect as pulling overworked people out of their stressy environment and into one where there are no deadlines, competition and the like. Just the time and space to enjoy.
    lol yh, rather than the 2nd job that wow started to feel like...
    Plus, I was the GM of a guild for ages...man, it was an utter trial.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    At least it should promote a better server community, now the player enemy will just be other servers in the mist

I think the faction whining in WoW is incredibly annoying.
    Exactly It's designed to pull ppl apart...but there's so much in GW2 that is designed to bring ppl together. Like no more competitive gathering as well...they've just re-invented so many things that used to make me madddd.
    It'll be a hippy paradise!
    Last edited by Squirrelbanes; 2012-01-25 at 12:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are factions. It's the Asura and everyone else. lol