Thread: Rift addons

Rift addons

So for those in the know about Rift, how's their ui customization coming along? I have played a bit, started playing a bit more again recently (only chars 30 and below) but two things in particular bug me.
    Player nameplates. I know them allowing ui mods is a work in progress, are there any news on these? I have 90% of the time tanked in wow and tanking without any nameplates is a pain in the butt.
    Damage meters. Last time I looked there was effectively a log parser so you can look up your damage afterwards. Any improvement on this? While I didn't think I was too much of a fan of the things, not having them really shows how important they are in making you want to play, and play to the best of your ability.

Oh one final thing, is it just me or is is blimmin hard to actually click on and select a new target sometimes, even if they're 20ft tall?

Must say graphically, especially after buying a 7970, well when I load wow afterwards it's depressing how bad it looks in comparison.
    Robtrina of Sylvanas.
    Robwong of Sylvanas.
    Roblína of Sylvanas.

Deleted
    http://www.curse.com/addons/rift There's a few dps meters as you can see, i'm not entirely sure about the nameplates one and yes definitely the past week or so it feels like occasionally i just cannot click on a mob for some reason. I thought it was an issue with my mouse but i'm glad to see that apparently it's not!

10+ Year Old Account
    To add what Pilkie said if you used the Curse client to install and update wow mods it's fully supported for Rift as well.

Quote Originally Posted by roblina View Post
    So for those in the know about Rift, how's their ui customization coming along? I have played a bit, started playing a bit more again recently (only chars 30 and below) but two things in particular bug me.
    Player nameplates. I know them allowing ui mods is a work in progress, are there any news on these? I have 90% of the time tanked in wow and tanking without any nameplates is a pain in the butt.
    Damage meters. Last time I looked there was effectively a log parser so you can look up your damage afterwards. Any improvement on this? While I didn't think I was too much of a fan of the things, not having them really shows how important they are in making you want to play, and play to the best of your ability.

Oh one final thing, is it just me or is is blimmin hard to actually click on and select a new target sometimes, even if they're 20ft tall?

Must say graphically, especially after buying a 7970, well when I load wow afterwards it's depressing how bad it looks in comparison.
    I understand this is now a curse-owned site, but if that doesn't work for you, try http://www.riftui.com/downloads/index.php?

I prefer the layout design as its mostly pictures, and I have a harder time reading a list of outdated addons than looking at pictures of categorized addons, sometimes

there's basically two developed damage parsers, rift count and simple meter. rift count seems to have been last updated two months ago. simple meter is more than just simple, in fact, though riftcount was looking promising with the colorful skin and all, when they stopped updating it and fixing errors, its become more of a pain in the neck.

http://www.riftui.com/downloads/info58-SimpleMeter.html

I haven't found a nameplate addon yet, though it would be great, one of the sort of "clunky" mechanics to combat is no nameplates, I agree. I know other people who are looking for such an addon too. wow's nameplate addon received a lot of donations, though the the rift developers released an addon terms of service, and it said addons are not supposed to ask for donations, hide code, or be focused primarily on generating profit.

you can also customize your UI layout via ESC -> edit layout this gives functionality similar to toolbar addons like bartender, though you can resize and move all features of your UI, not only action bars.

haven't tried blimmin, its a targetting addon? that was the other issue that seemed a little awkward, targetting precisely in combat.

those two are must haves, you're right

---------- Post added 2012-01-21 at 02:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pilkie View Post
    http://www.curse.com/addons/rift There's a few dps meters as you can see, i'm not entirely sure about the nameplates one and yes definitely the past week or so it feels like occasionally i just cannot click on a mob for some reason. I thought it was an issue with my mouse but i'm glad to see that apparently it's not!
    I noticed a few interface bugs after the server merge + resets. the cursor to interact with the mailbox disappeared (LOL)... /reload UI didn't help, I had to log back in to fix it. a loading screen popped up for 1 second when walking through sanctum,a couple other minor hiccups, and yeah its nice to read in patch notes that a bug isn't only on our end.
    Last edited by Runintowalls; 2012-01-21 at 02:10 PM.

The addons are coming along, slowly but surely. The biggest deterrent right now is that there's so much going on in the game, assets and resources are limited, so building/adjusting/increasing the API is a long and slow process. Trion knew from the outset that they'd like to implement addons, but they also believed that anything so universally desired should be incorporated into the game itself, not totally the responsibility of fans.

The lead for API development (probably not the official title) Is ZorbaTheHut, the original creator of WoW's old Questhelper addon.

Still have yet to have any actual need for an Addon in Rift. My only gripes are one-bag and nameplates, which no addon I know of provides. The Rift default UI functions extraordinarily well for me unlike.... every single MMO previously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mavfin View Post
    I have to say that Bagnon/Onebag functionality is sorely missed. I don't have to have damage meters for the way I play anymore, so I don't miss them. The only addon I grabbed was the Riftheal one mainly for the already set up 'clique' functionality of it, which is how I'm used to healing. I never bothered with healbot or vuhdo, I just used a good set of frames and clique.

But yeah, default UI is quite good.
    I use simple meters for DPS/HPS because, well it's simple. I found an valuable raid healing mod was Wire's Raid Killer I think the name is. Due to the complexity of the Akylios fight it gave you timers for certain events like phases, waves etc It was by no means DBM but just having timer warnings made the encounter more manageable. A 17 minute fight becomes very fatiguing on a raid so these timers were a plus.

I've set up my raid frames and mouse over macros do basically do what 'clique' used to do including mouse over cleansing/dispelling. No issues. These are the only two mods I use at this time but I would like to have better nameplate mod for sure.

Well, I tired the damage meter addons in Rift but they didn't offer any greater function than the damage meter I had been using since beta 4. So while damage meters are useful to me, ACT is a more powerful tool and the overlay in-game is more discrete than addon damage meters.

I literally have almost no need to addon in Rift. There is no waster space on huge fucking eagles at the end of your action bars. Windows can be moved, resized, made opaque or transparent on the fly. Action bars are fully moveable in any arrangement you like by default. Map can scale, go transparent, hide in combat, hide on mouse over, be moved, centered, etc without an addon.

Personally I have struggled and been super frustrated with UIs in MMOs for years until Rift.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-01-21 at 06:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Well, I tired the damage meter addon in Rift but they didn't offer any greater function than the damage meters I had been using since beta 4. So while damage meters are useful to me, ACT is a more powerful tool and the overlay in-game is more discrete than addon damage meters.
    Many of my guildies swore by Act. I personally never used it and most of my guildies are/were EQ players and said that's what they used there. I think their only complaint was they had to reset act each time after a wipe or something? Wave timers would be off for example. I forget exactly what their issue was with Act but it's functionality was huge but had those couple of restrictions. Simple meters worked just fine for me since I primarily did MT or raid healing while raiding it gives break downs of abilities and various information up to your last 15 attempts.

Rift unlike many MMO is a complete package and there is very little need for mods. Part of their design philosophy was to have the game self sufficient out of the box and not have to rely heavily on 3rd part mods and going through the nightmarish up date process every patch.

Yea! I was an EQ raider too and had lots of experience with ACT from the past. It's feature set is very robust. It can track almost anything the game can track. The downside is setup. But since they added the export/import thing you can run multiple configs for different purposes.

Certainly, simple meter is useful. It just wasn't as useful or provided me personally with greater functionality then I already had.

What I miss: Bagnon, Bartender & Pitbull.

I Dislike the Actionbar #1. I'd prefer to run without it, but I also prefer being able to see my XP. Bartender separated each asset and allowed a cleaner interface, so I could have a /mouseover XP bar hidden at the top of my screen or a blank bar without art tied to it. It also let me adjust the number of rows and columns per actionbar. Rift allows you to turn any actionbar vertical/horizontal, but as I've come to learn, hidden/unused buttons that overlap other bars can physically obscure buttons and prevent clicks, even if they're not being used.

Pitbull I miss because I don't like seeing character portraits attached to HP bars. I'd prefer being able to resize the frame (width vs height), designate more or less space to energy/mana/HP, and better control what information (HP vs %, truncated values, etc) was available.

Bagnon I miss because I think the individual bags take up way too much space, regardless of UI %. As each bag requires a unit frame, you've got wasted pixels for margins, borders and empty slots for bags that aren't sized in multiples of fours. Being able to turn my 4 22-slot bags and 1 24 slot bag (112 slots) into an 8x14 sized bag would definitely clean up what feels like clutter.

Don't get me wrong, I get by fine without any of these things, but if they were implemented, you certainly wouldn't hear me complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Acquiesce of Telara View Post
    What I miss: Bagnon, Bartender & Pitbull.

I Dislike the Actionbar #1. I'd prefer to run without it, but I also prefer being able to see my XP. Bartender separated each asset and allowed a cleaner interface, so I could have a /mouseover XP bar hidden at the top of my screen or a blank bar without art tied to it.
    Before PA, it was reasonable to hide actionbar#1 and use another actionbar in it's position as default #1. Since we didn't need to see XP gain anymore. But with PA, I guess you wanna see the levels now.

I make my bar #1 smaller, around 80% of normal size, and stick it to the top of my screen. It contains long duration buffs and macro's for switching specs/gear sets.

That way the bottom two bars for abilities are nice transparent ones without the thick edging design, very much like Bartender. I can the use the keybind options to change 1-0 and anything else I want along the bottom so that it resembles a normal set of bars

EDIT: Here is a screenshot, you can see that I also moved the pet bar up out of the way.
    Last edited by Tarien; 2012-01-21 at 08:33 PM.

Tarien, what the hell is that in the bottom lefthand corner of your screen? Are those your addon widgets/menu bar? I've only got two addons, and I fit them in alongside the map. I'll try providing a screenshot of my setup later

Deleted
    I believe that's how the menu bar used to look before it was simplified down a bit As you can see it was getting a bit ridiculous lol

Quote Originally Posted by Acquiesce of Telara View Post
    Tarien, what the hell is that in the bottom lefthand corner of your screen?
    That's the old system tray. Before they changed it to this: http://i44.tinypic.com/v8hgfs.jpg

Those are the old menu options.

Ah ok, shows how much I forgot since release lol

I've never liked having one big bag, I like to split mine by functionality.
    One bag for consumables, one for alternate gear etc.

Personally I don't feel any need for display addons other than timers and Wire's which also shows the health bar of all raid targets.
    My current UI is http://i.imgur.com/8CbLo.jpg