Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    My guild raids 12 hours a week and are 2/8 heroic and we dont have a gem policy, our gm believes that 200+ stats of something (if that) isnt even close to what just plain skill will do for you. he would rather have us do whatever we want to make us happy with our gems wether thats selling them or using them, as long as we are happy about it usually we play better than if we are forced to give them to the guild and be sad and play like crap.

Deleted
    My guild raid three times a week, in total 12 hours and we do not require you to gem all items with epics gems. We are 6/8 HC Dragon Soul. You are expected to use the gems you get(the useful gems) and not sell them but there is no requirement that you go buy gems. But of course, if you are underperforming and causing wipes, it will definately be noted if you do not try to improve somehow. One way to improve damage is to then farm gold and buy gems.

Deleted
    I am progressing through hc modes with my guild atm, and we dont have a requirement for epic gems
    It is all up to you, if you wanna spend all that gold on some more intellect for example.

Red epics in BIS gear.

Non red epics in any gear, as needed. Purple, orange and other gems are so cheap, I see no reason to not use these.. Most will only use a few anyway.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Unless you're going for top 3 in the world there's no reason to epic gem anything other than BiS gear. all bosses are easily downable using just the rare gems. we did it and just under a hundred other guilds have done it.

We're 6/8 heroic on a 2 night a week schedule. We only gem bis pieces. I generally think there are easier and more important issues to address.

For instance:

Google raidbots - compare bot (I can't post links). You can use this to see pre-pots and potions use in fight, as well as a variety of other important abilities (people getting the most out of run speed (worgen) or spirit walkers etc).

The most important thing of all is good strategy, maybe there's a strategic tweak, like leaving an additional person or two on the boss, that will help you get the dps you need. Maybe you can move the boss in some fashion to make things more efficient. Coherent cooldown plans etc. etc. If you have lackluster strategy enthusiasts find someone will put make a more more detailed plans and get proactive about assigning duties.

Deleted
    Im foul epic gemmed <** I play everyday simply to enjoy as much as i can the game either the gear is 384-397-410. A boost is a boost and always has its purpose.

So Gems are for :
    DpS=Improving even a bit you dps its gonna improve yourself and mostly your Guild/Raid
    Tank=Be able to be unbreakable by earning those extra stats as also helping your healers
    Healer=Keep everyone alive with better %

The only purpose for me seeing gear<whatever upgrade> is that is not gonna help you only with the solo performance but the most basic<You're raid performance>.
    I simply love guys that are putting love in they're game:

Deleted
    So raiders that get bad RNG are supposed to sit on enough gold to buy enough reds to be fully clad in the suckers?

If full epic gems are making or breaking a bosskill then you're simply shuffling away the responsibilities; tell people to shape up and set up some sort of gemsystem in which members won't have to go bankrupt to finance gems.

Deleted
    Im raiding m8 and more than 80% of raiders that are getting epic gems are simply use Ah<Give me Gold so i can buy........Something that would help me in 2 years for now.... ?? . Either Hardcores , Mediocre, either casuals most of ppl simply look for Gold , since Gold is a better upgrade rather than anything with Pve.

We collect all epic gems into the guild bank and redistribute them out as players get BiS items. We're not rolling in gold and can't afford to give everything out. Tanks are exceptions. Otherwise we wait.

Money isnt hard to make, Its actually pretty faceroll to get. If i saw you in my guild, Id be expecting you to have at least blue level gems in every socket. And everything Chanted, Specifically, weapon chants/legs/head and shoulders.

And don't even get me started on Meta gems, if you can really afford to give up the extra 3 percent crit as a hunter, then you can afford to not need to raid cause your obviously pro enough already

10+ Year Old Account
    As a warrior tank I get cheap +50 mastery gems.

I don't expect everyone to get full epic gems for our current progression level 8/8 normal, starting heroics next week. But we'll see once we start doing H:Morchok.
    Lained - 60 Shaman | Lainedtv - 60 Druid | Lainedz - 60 Paladin

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Our policy in guild is to use Reds in BiS gear, you will always gem 50's in HC gear for example. (if it's BiS).

Deleted
    We put all the epicgems in the guildbank, then we pretty much list what gems we need and for what etc.
    Red gems are only allowed for BiS gear (because of the high request and somewhat low availability),
    all other gems are allowed for Normal (397 ilvl) gear and higher.
    This works pretty well, for us atleast.

Deleted
    I'd gem 410 gear.. not even 397 gear or somthing like that, those epic gems are waaay to exspensive..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Affectionate View Post
    lolol, a guild thats just now pushing towards a 2/8 kill has no good reason to demand epic gems in non-heroic gear. demand they play better. plenty of good players downed 5/8 in FL heroic gear, so thinking 10 more stats on 397 gear is going to make or break it is silly, and especially expecting someone to spend 2k-5k to say, gem their pants, only to finally down H-Yorsh'saj and... get new pants? YAY upgrade that just cost me 4k gold...

expecting people to put epic gems in non-heroic gear (as you said, if its upgrade dosnt drop of heroic morchock..) for 'progression' 2 months into DS is dumb, and will likely slim up your roster pretty quick.
    This is the second time I see you post an arrogant, rude and self entitled reply to someone. Why don't you get your head out of your ass and at least act decent?

OT: Everyone in my guild use epic gems in the gear, the know won't be replaced in the next few resets. We don't have an epic gem system, though we did think about it. But all our dps need red gems and then there's the healers. No way it would actually benefit anyone, since 2/3 of the raiders need red gems.

One thing though, the prices on epic gems may vary a lot from server to server. On my server I bought 5 red epic gems for 500g each. That was a bargain and they normally go for around 2.5k uncut. So in all fairness, it's not like it would cost 140k (as someone said it would cost on their server) to fully gem red epics.

But I guess that it also comes down to how much gold an individual has. I don't have gold issues and thus I use epic gems in all gear ilvl 397 and above. No reason not to tbh.
    Last edited by mmoc3a262a3a21; 2012-01-22 at 02:05 AM.

We run a pretty slack policy on that, I guess. We're pretty casual, most of the guild not having raided Heroics before, and we raid 2-3 days a week, currently at 2/8 HC. We don't expect people to randomly gem their 397 gear with epic gems, however once they upgrade to 410, I see no reason not to.

Deleted
    My guild had a "100% epic gems or you're not coming for ultraxion progress"-rule. We downed that bitch in 5 pulls... but still...

Just check my gear, it ruined me!

Oh, and we raid 2days/week and manage to keep top 200 25m rating, so we're fairly progression...kinda?

Deleted
    My guild had a "100% epic gems or you're not coming for ultraxion progress"-rule.
    How much do red epic gems sell for on your server? For a 25 man raid that's gotta be anywhere from 10-20 red gems per player with the exception of tanks, that would cost our guild in the region of 200k+ for red gems alone. That's assuming so many gems would be available on the AH to begin with.

397+ epic gems. 4k a piece for red gems is relatively cheap considering you can make that in like 5 days doing just dailies (if you're terribad at AH'ing or too lazy to farm).

"It may be your $14.99, but it's the raid's $374.75" -- Ralask <Nether>, Senjin.
    Mage Moderator | Forum Guidelines | MMO IRC | Arcane Mage FAQ | TT7 R.I.P.