Page 1 of 44
... LastLast
    Deleted

Nvidia Kepler (6XX-series) discussion

I don't recall seeing an active thread regarding the upcoming Nvidia Kepler cards so thought I would make one to share this bit of information.

According to this link, the "680" is supposed to be released april, the "670" in may, and the "660" in june. If this is true.. that's a long time to be waiting...

Also found this link saying that Nvidia may push the release date for the 680 into a late February launch, which is much better than waiting until April..

Take this information with a grain of salt as I don't know how reputable/reliable these sites are with their information and most of the stuff on Kepler at this point is pretty speculative.

Let's hope that the power consumption is not awful as in Fermi.

didn't nvidia plan on pushing the low-end cards first? at least as far as i remember.

Deleted
    They will be releasing the mobile/low end ones first so flagship wont be out till summer - early fall.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm excited to see if they're gonna pull the same trick and make a expensive single GPU chip card raping in terms of performance. (GTX 580)
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaim View Post
    didn't nvidia plan on pushing the low-end cards first? at least as far as i remember.
    Yes that's what I thought as well..

@inux94 I've seen some rumors that the 660 will outperform the 7970.. but those are just rumors.

Actually, a new article just came out a few days ago. Chinese production workers leaked some photos of the new cards. Looks like they are pushing for February because of the early AMD launch of the 7000 series.

How much can they improve on it is the question? Im assuming the 680 will lightly outperform the 7970 at first and moderately later on, ofc 7970's were seeing so far are not the amped up models, and driver support is limited. Now at this time anyone saying such and such performs better than the 7970 , is likely a statement off an early 7970 bench and an early 6xx bench. A lot of stuff can change but ill stay w/ the 7970 being inbetween 670 and 680 in performance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dkimxd View Post
    Yes that's what I thought as well..

@inux94 I've seen some rumors that the 660 will outperform the 7970.. but those are just rumors.
    Oh dear.
    I expected them to beat most of the cards but that's just..

I might do the same thing as Synth if it's true, especially since you can resell parts for 150% of the price here.
    (Used macs with Core 2 Duo costing $2K, or even a Win7/Pentium/GT 8400 for 700$.)
    Last edited by inux94; 2012-01-22 at 04:23 AM.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Deleted
    Not that there is too much specific info but first part of the video talks about Kepler:

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    The Kepler rumors are all over the place. The first roadmap we saw puts the low-end and mainstream GK107/106 parts ahead of GK104 (high-end) and GK110/112 (ultra-high-end). The GK104 was also claimed to be a GTX 570/580 replacement with a 384-bit memory bus. The latest rumors describe GK104 as an enthusiast replacement for the GTX 560. Luckily for them, this isn't as dire a situation as the GF100/Fermi release in the wake of the HD 5870.

I'll be interested in seeing if either company secures that $200 sweet spot where the 1GB HD 6950 and GTX 560 Ti currently reside.
    Last edited by kidsafe; 2012-01-22 at 11:14 AM.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Nvi...rce,14499.html

Rumors of a february release. But as of late no one kicks up a shitstorm like Nvidia.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Given that Nvidia is less experienced working with GDDR5, 512-bit memory bandwidth sounds dubious. The core clock also seems to be a guess based on the GTX 580's specs. Memory bandwidth is something that double-precision FP / GPGPU will benefit from, but it honestly won't affect gaming that much. You need a lot of memory to handle those multi-monitor set-ups, but they won't be starved by a 256-bit 384-bit bus.
    Last edited by kidsafe; 2012-01-22 at 11:20 AM.

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/01/19/n...-clear-winner/

Possible March/April launch for Kepler? If rumors are true about performance I'm mostly curious as to the launch prices for the new Nvidia series. I was going to skip the 6xx/7xx series but if a 680/780 blows a 580 out of the water in benchmarks I might just upgrade and craigslist my 580. Hell if a mid-range 6xx/7xx performs better than a 580 I might just go that route.
    Last edited by nbm02ss; 2012-02-02 at 03:29 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    I'm excited to see if they're gonna pull the same trick and make a expensive single GPU chip card raping in terms of performance. (GTX 580)
    Oh my god you stole Jesse Cox's computer. (ur sig)

10+ Year Old Account
    Pure speculation:

GK100, alleged flagship: cancelled in its current form. (GTX 480 and 580 code names: GF100 and GF 110)

GK104 will be branded Geforce GTX 680. (Probably originally planned as the 660) It will perform similar to the 7970 and not really be what they had planned to put out as the top-segment product but GK100 might not have turned out well and AMD didn't set the 28nm bar very high anyway.

GK100's second attempt will be renamed GK110 and will get the retail name GTX 780. It could come out much later this year, closer to Q4 or even Q1 2013. The 600 series will have been a couple of re-brands of fermi, the GK104 and a few laptop chips, nothing more.

Wait half a year then tell me I'm wrong :P

The only problem I see with releasing all these cards that are X amount of times better than the 580 or something about blowing the 7970 out of the water.. is that most people right now dont even NEED a single 580 to max out 99% of games out in the market. The big problem is that we are still paying the same amount now as we did 1.5 years ago for the same performance. For example, the 6950 was $259 at launch.. and honestly, that about the medium price now.

I can see a card coming out that will replace the 560, lets say, but it will cost more, for more performance. Doesn't make sense to deviate from that 560. And those ultra high end cards.. well they are going to simply RAISE the money cap, instead of pushing everything down. In other words, lets say the next greatest card comes out and costs $500. Then all the other, more mainstream cards will come out lower and lower than that, which means we get plenty of price wars as consumers and more value for our money.

Now, instead, the high end cards will continue to cost more and more.. I can see the 680 coming out costing $600, which means that prices at the mainstream level remain the same for roughly the same performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Phishy714 View Post
    The only problem I see with releasing all these cards that are X amount of times better than the 580 or something about blowing the 7970 out of the water.. is that most people right now dont even NEED a single 580 to max out 99% of games out in the market. The big problem is that we are still paying the same amount now as we did 1.5 years ago for the same performance. For example, the 6950 was $259 at launch.. and honestly, that about the medium price now.

I can see a card coming out that will replace the 560, lets say, but it will cost more, for more performance. Doesn't make sense to deviate from that 560. And those ultra high end cards.. well they are going to simply RAISE the money cap, instead of pushing everything down. In other words, lets say the next greatest card comes out and costs $500. Then all the other, more mainstream cards will come out lower and lower than that, which means we get plenty of price wars as consumers and more value for our money.

Now, instead, the high end cards will continue to cost more and more.. I can see the 680 coming out costing $600, which means that prices at the mainstream level remain the same for roughly the same performance.
    Yeah, price is a wee bit of a concern. I'm also very curious about heat output and power consumption, and this imo is where AMD really gets attractive. If I were to have to buy another power supply (currently have a 850watt) just to SLI the new higher-end Nvidia series I just might go back to AMD and get two 8950s whenever they're out next year or so (the current 7950 looks like a winner as far as intro price + performance and will only get more attractive as prices drop).

Deleted
    I believe price for the gk104 is supposed to be set at around $299

I do hope we hear more of Kepler soon, I've only heard of rumors so far and I'm not even sure if any of the "leaks" are confirmed or not. The wait is killing me!

On a sidenote, I saw a HD7970 go for £400 brand new which is a little bit tempting, but I won't jump into the first 28nm GPU just yet.