Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Target of Target?

I know GW2 doesn't have the conventional support roles, the holy trinity, but I think having a target of target function is crucial, in both PVP and PVE.

I haven't read anything about it and I know ArenaNet doesn't want to clog up the UI but I was wondering your thoughts. Personally it was one of the major drawbacks I had in SWTOR, bides the tons of bugs and countless other problems :P.

Does the game already have it?
    Is there a way around it?
    Why do you think we do or don't need it?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by iCandy View Post
    I know GW2 doesn't have the conventional support roles, the holy trinity, but I think having a target of target function is crucial, in both PVP and PVE.

I haven't read anything about it and I know ArenaNet doesn't want to clog up the UI but I was wondering your thoughts. Personally it was one of the major drawbacks I had in SWTOR, bides the tons of bugs and countless other problems :P.

Does the game already have it?
    Is there a way around it?
    Why do you think we do or don't need it?
    I'm pretty sure the game don't have it atm, at least I've never seen it. Might be implemented though?
    As well I'm pretty sure there won't be any AddOns for GW2 really, GW2 ain't to supportive for AddOns, they don't want the computer to play for you

I'd say we don't need it. In GW2 the combat is very visual and you can't target friendly players. So you won't be using target of target to heal someone (which I use target of target very frequently for in Arenas in WoW).
    And you'll see who he's attacking so you can go help your buddy, if you're a guardian or something.
    So: You can easily see who he's attacking by the visual combat, you can't target friendly target so no need of that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know if target of target would be needed in GW2, because it's targeting system is very different to wow.

You don't need to target someone in GW2 to attack them.
    You can swing/shoot towards people and you'll hit them with having to target them.
    You cannot target friendly players.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    I don't know if target of target would be needed in GW2, because it's targeting system is very different to wow.

You can swing/shoot towards people and you'll hit them with having to target them.
    The AoE target sytem has this though. It automatically targets ur last target or location I believe.

i know this isn't rly target of target...but it's similar and seemed to be relevant to what OP was asking

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post

I was thinking more around the lines of, ok should we attack this player now or this mob in a group situation. Help prevent split DPS or something..I dunno. I guess I would have to play the game to really make my decision but from what you said I'm leaning on it not being an issue.

Thanks for the input.

Sorry for the brief derail.

Quote Originally Posted by roflatorlunde View Post
    I'm pretty sure there won't be any AddOns for GW2 really, GW2 ain't to supportive for AddOns, they don't want the computer to play for you
    Just curious, did they officially say there wouldn't be any addon kind of system? I hadn't heard one way or the other yet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadeth View Post
    Just curious, did they officially say there wouldn't be any addon kind of system? I hadn't heard one way or the other yet.
    Q: Will Arenanet allow and encourage development of add-ons since they have become so popular and integral in MMO’s now?

A: We won’t be allowing people to mod the game itself directly no. We feel that this encourages people to play the game in such a way that gives them an unfair advatage over those who don’t use mods. However we understand that many people enjoy modding games and are looking into ways for people to build things for the game in other ways. We’ll have more information on this sometime next year.
    That was said. I wouldn't take it as a strict no but it sounds like players might be able to modify something.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadeth View Post
    Well in GW1 they weren't to supportive of it, we had an map AddOn and that was it.
    BUT!
    A-net is quite famous for having everything you need. You've got a fully costumable UI as example.
    You can move anything you want, resize etc.
    So you can choose yourself how your UI is gonna look (if they haven't removed this option that they had in GW1, which is just plain stupid if they did).

And I'm 99,99% sure that I've read somewhere that they aren't to big fans of AddOns for games, but I can't tell you where it was atm, I've forgotten. >.< So no source...

---------- Post added 2012-01-22 at 04:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dewote View Post
    That was said. I wouldn't take it as a strict no but it sounds like players might be able to modify something.
    Thanks for bringing the source

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by iCandy View Post
    I was thinking more around the lines of, ok should we attack this player now or this mob in a group situation. Help prevent split DPS or something..I dunno.
    You can use focus/call target functionality for something like that. Now, I am not sure GW2 has such functionality, but since GW1 did, the chance is relatively high.

Focus target mechanics have the disadvantage that someone has to mark a focus target, but it also have the advantage that you don't have to deal with having to target friendlies. In a game where you aren't supposed to even be targeting friendlies, focus target mechanics is definitely the better solution.

A target-of-target button would not serve any purpose in Guild Wars 2.

You can only target enemies. The enemy as well. Assuming this, a target-of-target button would not be able to target anything.

But I guess there is going to be some assist button, where someone in your group marks an enemy and you can attack it with that assist button (no source to ground that on, though).

Target of Target serves no purpose in GW2 seeing as you can't target allies for combat purposes. You can however mark enemies and then people can use a keybind to select the marked target.

I don't know if this is relevant, but in the original Guild Wars, you could call a target by ctrl-clicking its name, and then someone just had to hit T to get your target. It would say 'I am attacking *monsternamehere*' in chat when you did this. You could also ctrl shift click a target to say you were targeting it without attacking it.

Of course there is no guarantee this feature will be included in GW2, but who knows. x)

Quote Originally Posted by nysha View Post
    I don't know if this is relevant, but in the original Guild Wars, you could call a target by ctrl-clicking its name, and then someone just had to hit T to get your target. It would say 'I am attacking *monsternamehere*' in chat when you did this. You could also ctrl shift click a target to say you were targeting it without attacking it.

Of course there is no guarantee this feature will be included in GW2, but who knows. x)
    GW2 will use the same system. I recall johansson saying that in an interview. I will try and find it in a min.

Edit: Here is the interview. skip to 9:20. Continues in part 2

Last edited by YouAreAllWrong; 2012-01-22 at 08:55 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by YouAreAllWrong View Post
    GW2 will use the same system. I recall johansson saying that in an interview. I will try and find it in a min.

Edit: Here is the interview. skip to 9:20. Continues in part 2

-vid-
    Nicee, didn't know that yet. Thx !

for guildwars 1 they did not activly go out of their way to break the few mods that croped up but they provided no API hooks for moders to use. Texmod was used by some to help with the cartogropher achievement but that was far from user friendly compiared to say wow where you can now use the curse cliant or similar utilities no mater how computer iliterate you are. I recall one statement where they basically said modding the game is an unsupported activity, do not call tech support if you try it anyway and break your game.

I'm asumeing they will take a similar tac with GW2. If a feature is badly needed they will add it themselves but they dont want people to start playing the UI instead of the game and many mods encourage exactly that(playing the ui).

Who is John Galt?

No sure there is a need for this. But in the first GW you could pick up someone's target with "T" quite easily. The function of ToT is one based around threat in other games. There is no threat generating progression in GW2. So yea, might be like GW1.

Actually, the "can't target friendlies" as well as "we want people to look at the scenery rather then UI" policies pretty much mandate that no target of target functionality be ever present in the game.

Personally I'd love to have it. Of course, I would also love to have an actual functional add-on API so game could be properly customized instead of being the same "we tell you how the UI should look, and you will take it or GTFO" approach GW1 had.

But hey, you can't have everything, and that seems to be their policy.

Lol, there goes Lucky_ again.
    The Glowing Piece of Radical Rock!

10+ Year Old Account
    They'll probably have the Mark Target system that was in GW1, where you held down ctrl (or w/e key you bound it to i believe) and used a skill, or hit the attack button and it'd put up a little tab thing next to your name that everyone could use to target the guy you called out, as well as it posting in party chat what you were doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    Actually, the "can't target friendlies" as well as "we want people to look at the scenery rather then UI" policies pretty much mandate that no target of target functionality be ever present in the game.

Personally I'd love to have it. Of course, I would also love to have an actual functional add-on API so game could be properly customized instead of being the same "we tell you how the UI should look, and you will take it or GTFO" approach GW1 had.

But hey, you can't have everything, and that seems to be their policy.
    Where did you hear the ''we want people to look at the scenery rather than the UI''? Of course you are supposed to look at the UI, they just don't want healers to ''play whack-a-mole''. You're still supposed to look at your cooldowns/health/rage/initiative etc. And the GW1 UI was very customizable imo, not with addons but the game offered a lot of customization.