Page 1 of 2
LastLast

World of Logs rankings

To people in hardcore/worldfirst type guilds, do rankings for healers matter to you when looking at an applicant's logs? Or is it mostly irrelevant in favor of situational awareness and "critical, life saving healing." I am aware that HPS takes a back seat to actually preventing deaths, it's just a lot harder to measure that. I know I'm good, and I've always wanted to be in that kind of guild, I just have loyalty to my guild and I've never really had a way to evaluate whether I'm that good, so I'm interested to hear the opinions of people in that kind of guild.

Before anyone comes and starts bashing "lol hps doesn't matter" and such, I know, it's just something that I noticed and I wanted to know how top guilds view it.

I'm a moron or something, disregard my question about why I can't find myself in the ranks, I edited it out but the first few replies are about that.
    Last edited by Bingles; 2012-01-22 at 10:29 PM. Reason: I'm dumb

Hmm could be a bug or somehow an error on your part. Were you looking at your HPS or your HPS (e)? Big difference.

Also, go to world of logs and go to the homepage of your guilds raid that night. On the right in the box where anyone who ranks is listed, do you see your name there with the boss next to your name?

Well if we assume youre looking at the right class spec and difficulty not sure what to tell ya. Theyve worked fine for my guild. Also dont forget it only counts kills not wipes. Maybe you could link some logs to give us more information?

World first healer ratings usually mean that there's some situation where a healer must be doing something extraordinary to keep the raid alive (because things went wrong), or the healer has found an effective method for padding meters, or that the guild he/she is in is underhealing content in favor of DPS.
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

What I always fail on is, 10 and 25 man logs, also normal and heroic.

Deleted
    I'm just learning WoL too. The only thing I can think of is if the log is set to private. If you are logged in to WoL, maybe it's possible you can see the logs, but your rankings will not show if the log is set to private.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercadi View Post
    World first healer ratings usually mean that there's some situation where a healer must be doing something extraordinary to keep the raid alive (because things went wrong), or the healer has found an effective method for padding meters, or that the guild he/she is in is underhealing content in favor of DPS.
    Obviously padding is useless, but I don't do that and I think that anyone in a top tier guild could tell the difference between padding and good healing. As for those other two points, wouldn't those be qualities a top tier guild would look for? (extraordinary healing or being able to handle underhealing)

Nevermind I must be a moron, I'm on the list now. My question remains to hardcore guilds though.
    Last edited by Bingles; 2012-01-22 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Avoiding double posting

Often people make the logs private after initially uploading - which shows a rank initially, then the rank goes away

Other than that, nfi

Quote Originally Posted by Mercadi View Post
    This ^. Any hardcore guild understands this.

Quote Originally Posted by stevepelle91 View Post
    Idd, this a thousand times. Healer WOL rankings just dosent matter in the long run. I renember in my old guild priest ranked 1# (atleast he told me, didnt check) on Morchok heroic10 on our first kill, since he was solo healing one side, trough it dropped very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by stevepelle91 View Post
    Again, aren't two of those three things GOOD things not bad? (not padding obviously)

You can usually look at the healing numbers that your current healers are doing on fights and compare them, ranks mean very little, logs mean something, but gear / talents and proving you understand your class and role is the most important.

Quote Originally Posted by Bingles View Post
    To people in hardcore/worldfirst type guilds, do rankings for healers matter to you when looking at an applicant's logs? Or is it mostly irrelevant in favor of situational awareness and "critical, life saving healing." I am aware that HPS takes a back seat to actually preventing deaths, it's just a lot harder to measure that. I know I'm good, and I've always wanted to be in that kind of guild, I just have loyalty to my guild and I've never really had a way to evaluate whether I'm that good, so I'm interested to hear the opinions of people in that kind of guild.

Before anyone comes and starts bashing "lol hps doesn't matter" and such, I know, it's just something that I noticed and I wanted to know how top guilds view it.

I'm a moron or something, disregard my question about why I can't find myself in the ranks, I edited it out but the first few replies are about that.
    What guilds look for in logs for a healer depends on thier class. How are they managing cooldown? Are they taking avoidable damage? Are they maximizing their HPS during aoe heavy portions of a fight if they are raid healing? and so forth.

Ranking is not like ranking for a dps. If you underheal an encounter you can easily rank on a fight even if you are a poor healer. What i tend to do on a new fight is to look at WoL, find someone from my class doing a high hps with my heal comp and see how i can better myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasaq View Post
    Ranking is not like ranking for a dps. If you underheal an encounter you can easily rank on a fight even if you are a poor healer. What i tend to do on a new fight is to look at WoL, find someone from my class doing a high hps with my heal comp and see how i can better myself.
    I certainly agree that it of course is a bit different than a dps ranking. What use would a healer have in the end if he'd pull hps but didn't follow through with his assignment.
    On the other hand of course hps is not unimportant as well. There are of course always differences depending on the skill of the other players and overall raidcomp but at the end of the day more hps usually means also more people being topped off and are less likely going to die.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you see someone beating everyone else by a large margin, generally it's because their tactic may involve less healers, or during the course of the fight things got way out of hand and caused huge strain on the healer(s). HPS is not very important but it can be a measure of something. Let's say you got to a phase that required intense healing, I'll give a current raid example, Zon'ozz dark phase heroic. This is extremely intense for a healer, but let's say the DPS are doing their jobs but everyone is dying and the tactic is fine, all the healers link their HPS after the fight (or check WoL) if you see a huge difference between the healers, maybe it shows a problem that 1 healer is not doing as good as they should. So HPS can be important, but I doubt the top guilds would view it as something very important in terms of an application, since you can easily increase your HPS by changing some factors in your raid.

Our disc priest solo's normal Zonozz (we have only 2 healers so cannot kill him on heroic yet). As such, he is number 2. Does this mean he's a good healer? Well, probably yeah. Does it mean he's the 2nd best healer in the game? Probably not by a long shot. Logs can tell you about a healer, but only so much. Recruiting healers is very difficult and judging them is even harder. I don't think it's possible to really rank the best healers in the world, nor is that kind of thing really relevant. Unlike dps, healing has a skill cap. At a certain point, it doesn't matter how good you are as long as you can heal every mechanic in the fight. For DPS, the better you are at it the higher it will be.

Rankings, or rather how healers compare to rest of the world do matter.

Good use of CDs and minimum amount of derp from the rest of raid all reduce the damage taken and therefore the healing done.
    Besides which if the other healer/s you're playing with are not as good and contribute less to the overall healing, you can cover the difference and get a higher personal rank. Which means if you play with good healers you don't have as much to heal as someone playing with worse.

Healing ranks are only so useful.

I've considered asking my raid to stand in more fire so I can get a better rank but it seems kind of stupid.

Healer ranks only mean anything after like first week of progress, when people are doing proper strats rather than just some facerolling. I've got like 4 ranks 1 in Firelands only because we used very little amount of healers and some of them were dpsing most of the fight. Those for sure don't mean much. However, I have rank 1 Spine and rank 1 Madness, both of which were done with using proper strategy and no meter padding (e.g. I used ToL to dps the tendon, Tranq'ed when it was needed rather than trying to squeeze as many of them as possible, etc). Those don't mean MUCH either, because it all comes down to healer setup you are using and how other healers perform.

What means in the end of the day, is your healing spells breakdown, your cd usage, your uptimes on important things, low amount of deaths. If you pull low numbers within the class (like, average druid is doing ~35k on Spine and you did 30k on last kill), you will be frowned upon, of course.

tl;dr: mindless looking at the numbers is retarded.
    Torty - Highmountain Druid - Turalyon EU

Icy-Veins Guide for Restoration Druids

From my own experience (top 25 guild) we like to have fun and try to rank a few bosses. It usually involves having to do something like this:

Cut down on healers, bring more dps, kill boss faster = usually gives out a higher HPS for rankings. (like 3 man healing ultraxion 25 hc, taking both red + blue as a holy paladin) or 5 man healing Warmaster Blackhorn Heroic.

I've had several rank #1 and several rank #50 > 150+, From my own personal experience and opinion, it mostly depends on the healing setup you choose to go with.

Some of the people on top of those lists are whoring and some are just plain awesome. Look at the Heroic Madness of Deathwing for Holy Paladins. You will probably find someone who is +45k HPS, Having used relatively small amount divine lights but mainly casting HR / LOD. If the paladin can use cooldowns like wings / favor during heavy aoe raid damage without overhealing (usually means other healers cant go full out aswell) then you will see some incredible numbers. But if he uses the cooldowns to keep up with the tank damage, the numbers wont be that incredible ;p

Diffrent assignments yield different type of HPS. Diffrerent Cooldown use yield diffrent HPS results. Btw Torty, Fu for stealing rank #20 world 20 minutes before us ;<
    Last edited by Tjaffe; 2012-01-23 at 03:41 AM.