Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaru View Post
    As such, he is number 2. Does this mean he's a good healer? Well, probably yeah. Does it mean he's the 2nd best healer in the game? Probably not by a long shot. Logs can tell you about a healer, but only so much.
    This is what I was thinking. Rankings don't mean you're amazing but they do mean you're good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bingles View Post
    To people in hardcore/worldfirst type guilds, do rankings for healers matter to you when looking at an applicant's logs? Or is it mostly irrelevant in favor of situational awareness and "critical, life saving healing." I am aware that HPS takes a back seat to actually preventing deaths, it's just a lot harder to measure that.
    It is nice for healers to have logs recruiters can look at to make sure you have some numbers, especially if you're coming from off-server. There is a big difference between 10k hps, and 20k hps which is fairly easy to achieve nowadays depending on the fight. Throughput is important for a healer especially on fights like H Warmaster and H Zon'ozz and while hps isn't everything, on those fights you need some very good throughput to kill it.

If I was recruiting off-server, I would rather take the healer with higher hps just because it's a safer option overall. It would really suck to recruit a healer, have them server xfer (and possibly faction xfer) and then after the first week or two say "Yeah... Sorry, but this isn't working out." Like, that is incredibly sad for both the player who just spent $50 xfering, and the guild who was really hoping it would work out and now has to say it isn't and now feels like an ass. :/

See what I'm sayin', bruh?

I got rank 1 on warmaster's healing meters, but thats' only because my guild allowed me to solo heal it. ^_^

With that said, I really don't feel healing meters tell you a whole lot. You need a good healer in the right situation to top the healing meters, and the right situation usually means either having your raid take extra damage (e.g., staying in center for haraga), solo healing, or having one of your healers slack. So while doing well on the WoL healing meters will guarantee a certain level of competence, many great healers don't end up ranking. It's really hard to measure the value of a healer.

Deleted
    healers logs -> % healing done by spell check it's in the same-ish proportions to x person who you know does it properly
    -> wol can let you know if they went oom -> healing done graph drops to almost 0
    damg taken table lets you know how much healing they have to use on themselves.

not much else really the actual hps etc are irrelevant as if all they do is snipe heals on people they get low overhealing but it's innefficient healing ie you make someone else overheal and u probably used an inefficient spell to heal it.

check isn't using x y spell at all -> disco pests don't renew for example ->

were some things used on cd ( like they should) prayer of mending/penance etc

10+ Year Old Account
    Being ranked or not doesn't manner in the long run... but still I'm proud when I get a rank, even though I know that I'll be going further and further downwards in the list as time passes. But being ranked, even if it's just a top 200 ranking is a small ego boost. It means that I did something right, that I my job extraordinarily well as we don't optimise our strats for "getting healer x ranked on encounter y".

So, seeing a number next to your name on WoL is good for your ego. But that alone doesn't tell you much about how good you are as a healer. For that, you need to dig into your logs, and even there, being #1 doesn't say much. It just says that you can create a lot of hps. Spell usage, spell breakdown, overhealing, buffs gained, buff uptimes, etc... those are all important little tidbits of information that one can piece together to create a picture of a healer. And then you need to take into account if it was a firstkill, or if the healer healed that particular encounter for the first time that day, of if it's a farm run that you can heal while resting your head on your keyboard...

There's so much more to a healer than just raw hps.

10+ Year Old Account
    The most useful thing about logs is not where they ranked, because that will depend on a variety of factors such as their kill time, if they are padding the meters, if they had a healer DC or they brought an extra dps, and on and on. However, logs will show you exactly what people do in reaction to things that happen thoughout a fight. Clearly a very highly ranked log means the healer is pretty decent, but you can really see how well they know their class from spell selection, timing, damage not taken, and a bunch of other things. Its also a great starting point to discuss with them about their class and their app if they are going from 10 to 25 and vice versa - "I noticed you used a lot of xyz spell, which works very well on 25s but not very useful for 10 mans; how would you change your selection or spell usage on a 10 man fight?"