Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Underwater footage?

Hi,

I've seen a few videos circulating about underwater combat, such as this one:

However, all the footage so far has been of rather brown/grey and dull areas with little to no vegetation or colour.

Has anyone come across any footage, or indication, of exotic and Vashj'ir type of environments?
    Last edited by mmocf747bdc2eb; 2012-01-23 at 12:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The brightness and hypercolor of Vashj'ir isn't really comparable with GW2's artist style.
    Still, they're may more vibrant environments in Quaggan and Hylek underwater cities

15+ Year Old Account
    I really don't care how much content is underwater. I have an Abyss type fear of deep waters and giving me a breathing apparatus is not enough to assuage these primal fears. Sadly I will be missing out on about 1/3rd of the game. Even after getting the zone wide buff in Vashj'ir I still had problems going to that zone. Would make me queasy. I really hope they don't put much more emphasis on it. I hate dealing with water.

I like how when you surface there are water droplets on the screen =p

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    I really don't care how much content is underwater. I have an Abyss type fear of deep waters and giving me a breathing apparatus is not enough to assuage these primal fears. Sadly I will be missing out on about 1/3rd of the game. Even after getting the zone wide buff in Vashj'ir I still had problems going to that zone. Would make me queasy. I really hope they don't put much more emphasis on it. I hate dealing with water.
    I understand what you mean, I pretty scared as well to dive deep, though I manage to do it sometimes. Still, I never managed to play Monster Hunter Tri because of it <.<

Deleted
    Really? The IRL fear persists in-game? That sucks.. I just don't like fighting with an ''Y-axis'' that much, but if I have to fight under water I won't mind.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider View Post
    Really? The IRL fear persists in-game? That sucks.. I just don't like fighting with an ''Y-axis'' that much, but if I have to fight under water I won't mind.
    I don't know why, but it is actually much worse in game than it is IRL. I try not to think on it too much.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think everyone shares that fear to some extent - it's primal, seated deep in our genes somewhere. In your case unfortunately it almost sounds like a phobia

Personally, I'm excited for the underwater content in GW2 precisely because of this subconscious, ancient fear. It excites me in a "horror movie" or roller coaster sort of way to think of my character swimming around with an expansive, black abyss underneath me from which any number of unknown horrors could rise up at any moment. It gets the heart pumping, the adrenaline flowing. I don't think that all underwater content will be like this, but venturing off into deep, open waters by yourself could be that sort of experience.

The last ~14 seconds of that video, after the close. That's the kind of shit I'm talking about. Gets my hair to almost stand on end! Love it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Freehoof View Post
    <Snip, epic shark/whatever >
    When I first saw this, I was stunned... It was just so... err. Epic! That's the word.
    This is what makes me love GW2, there's things that actually can scare you or at least you'll be able to find things by exploring.
    I hope they've added a lot of thees things They've said they're gonna have pretty many hidden DE's which is a nice thing also

I love scuba diving and love the ocean in general. I'm looking forward to seeing how the underwater content plays out.

Previous games have always done underwater poorly, at least in a video game context. Interestingly enough, Vashj'ir was absolutely my favorite area of the latest wow expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    whatever you do, dont get to 0 hp in the water...
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    I like how when you surface there are water droplets on the screen =p
    I actually dislike the effect in general. it only works in an FPS if you're wearing a helmet or if you have a camera crew with you. But it's probably just me.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    It´s not just you, i highly dislike it, even if its pretty.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I love scuba diving and love the ocean in general. I'm looking forward to seeing how the underwater content plays out.

Previous games have always done underwater poorly, at least in a video game context. Interestingly enough, Vashj'ir was absolutely my favorite area of the latest wow expansion.
    Yeah same here. Though GW2 does carry a particular art style, like Mif mentioned, it has already proven that it can indeed bring vibrant areas to life. Like the Sylvari home tree. Something similar, but bigger, below the surface would be awesome!

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't like WoW underwater thing, but it felt clunky and weird, i don't think GW2 will be like that at all, besides you get special underwater skills and weps.. thats enough to make me excited LOL

Deleted
    It doesn't feel clunky at all in WoW. And in Vashjir you don't need to come up to the surface either + you swim a lot faster. Actually I don't really believe that the underwater content in GW2 will have more people liking underwater content. There were always more people to dislike underwater content than like it. That has nothing to do with how inovative, new and what not it might be.

I almost guarantee that it will be the same in GW2. :P Which doesn't mean that I'm not looking forward to it.

In the words of Eric Wareheim: "Ohmuhgod I can't waaaaaaiiiiit."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider View Post
    Yeah it's quite common, I remember at the start of Wrath people had trouble with Naxx because of the spider quater

10+ Year Old Account
    I am excited that having more content underwater than other MMOs means more playable space. People talk a lot about map size, and how big an MMO world is, but often they fail to take the third dimension into account. If there is a ton of underwater content in GW2, which it sounds like there will be, then there will be a huge amount of explorable space not factored into the size of the two-dimensional map.

And in a game where active dodging and predictive targeting play such a big role in combat, having that third dimension to play around with will give a lot of depth (no pun intended) to the play experience.

*nerd hat* Think about that scene in The Wrath of Khan where the Enterprise sneaks up on the Reliant from "below" - Khan, not being used to the dynamics of space combat, is so used to thinking about combat being on a flat 2-dimensional plane that the idea of someone actively using that third dimension to approach them is counter-intuitive and surprising. *nerd hat*

At the same time, I don't think any of the underwater content will be strictly "must do" - having any particular area or content being required seems to go against Arenanet's game design, so those of you with phobias or distaste won't have to do these areas, although you'll be missing out on a neat realm, I'm sure. It's like playing WoW as an arachnophobe - you're missing out on a lot of areas in the game (there are tons of spider-heavy areas throughout the game world), but you can still get a reasonably full game experience sticking to other content.

I love diving. Got an underwater camera and all that.
    The primal fear mixes with the enchantment of the undersea world. Difficult to describe, but I could spend hours under the water...

I'm loving how much of the game will be underwater. Think it will add so much to the game myself. As Freeway said, it will open up a whole new dimension of playing, with new skills. "lol at Khan"
    What I love about it most I think is...Anet want the underwater to be really engaging. Most games leave you feeling like you can't wait to get out on dry land again...from what I've seen, Anet aren't doing this.