Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by champ3000 View Post
    And btw.. for everyone saying "America started this! GTFO!" uh yeah.. because europe hasnt created a quality tv show/movie/music since the fuckin beatles....
    LAWL Owned

Deleted
    Gotta love the entitlement attitude.. you don't have the right to free movies and free music and free games.. it is illegal because people spend millions of dollars to create these products.. you people are just leeching off the paying consumer and crying foul by saying that you don't want to support the corrupt RIAA, blah blah...
    Not as clear cut as you say. The fact is that gaming and music industry rely on not selling you their products, but on leasing it to you. And they claim that you do not have the right to private copy, nor to do whatever you want to do with said copy. But they don't tell you all this when you buy them, that is, when you actually give them your money, no. They tell you after you have bought it... so their legal stance is a bit shaky, or it would be if they hadn't bent the legislation on their favour.

Because remember, when someone downloads a song or a game from megaupload, it's not that megaupload hacked the owner's computer or obtained it through any other malicious way and the put it available for download. It was a customer who, after having paid for the product, decided to share it freely. Is there a misuse of the terms of service? sure, but that would only grant the owner of the copyright the right to punish the leasee. Saying that obtaining a copyrighted product in this way, coming voluntarily from a buyer, is leeching, that's a moral judgement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gotta love the entitlement attitude.. you don't have the right to free movies and free music and free games.. it is illegal because people spend millions of dollars to create these products.. you people are just leeching off the paying consumer and crying foul by saying that you don't want to support the corrupt RIAA, blah blah...

SOPA/PIPA were not protested because they threatened The Pirate Bay.. but because it provided a legitimate threat to legal businesses such as YouTube..

And btw.. for everyone saying "America started this! GTFO!" uh yeah.. because europe hasnt created a quality tv show/movie/music since the fuckin beatles....
    there is also the fact that some companies charge way too fucking much, like 70$ for just a DVD? jesus, last term i had to buy a 300$ software for one class that i really needed. well i am sorry i dont own a money tree and cant harvest it and get things that are over priced and i only use once, so yes i do pirate these things, and yes i do pirate anime, manga and music that i cant find in stores that are, again, not over-priced.

the age where companies charge as much as they want for multi-billion dollar profits is done, they must come up with a new business system to please both the consumer and the industry.
    A prime example is Blockbuster and Netflix, Blockbuster continued with its old business model and failed horribly.

Quote Originally Posted by kuku2 View Post
    Either you haven't read the thread or you don't understand anything about what is being discussed. This has nothing to do with internet regulation.

Had SOPA passed, then it would've been time for a revolution. A known haven for piracy being taken down is not cause for revolution. Please, get this through your skull.
    Get it through your skull that just because SOPA didn't pass, doesn't mean the next one won't. The shut down of Megaupload shows that SOPA is unnecessary, as it was accomplished without SOPA. That doesn't matter though, because they'll continue to try to pass bills like this.

The fact that bills like this are being put forward and have any support at all is cause for some sort of revolution. It's very obvious that politicians are owned by corporations, that's not right. I didn't say violent revolution, don't get your fucking pitchfork out. The people voting on things don't understand them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    there is also the fact that some companies charge way too fucking much, like 70$ for just a DVD? jesus, last term i had to buy a 300$ software for one class that i really needed. well i am sorry i dont own a money tree and cant harvest it and get things that are over priced and i only use once, so yes i do pirate these things, and yes i do pirate anime, manga and music that i cant find in stores that are, again, not over-priced.

the age where companies charge as much as they want for multi-billion dollar profits is done, they must come up with a new business system to please both the consumer and the industry.
    A prime example is Blockbuster and Netflix, Blockbuster continued with its old business model and failed horribly.
    You know who else rapes you over idiotic fees?

The textbook industry. $250 for my books this semester. My labor book was $130! I should have pirated that shit! THAT'S unreasonable.

But OT, that's exactly what's wrong with the entertainment industry. They don't adapt. They overcharge for shitty quality goods and then complain when their shit gets pirated. HOW ABOUT THIS CHRIS DODD? Sell your shit at a lower price and with higher quality.

It works for ITunes. It works for Amazon. It works for Netflix.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    omg so true, i had to pay 150$ for one of the most retarded books for the sole reason because it had a code where it allowed me to access an online application where ALL my assignments were, they basically coerced me to buy their crap.

btw that book was barely 100 pages and it contained information that a mentally handicapped child would probably know.

Quote Originally Posted by procyan View Post
    I have no problems with this. SOPA didn't pass because it was meant to weed out piracy but restricted free speech in the wording of the bill. So now they are just shutting down known pirating websites while leaving the rest of the internet as it. If you use these websites for legitimate means, I'm sorry for the inconvenience. I'm sure there will be some site out there that either quickly changes and eliminates piracy themselves or one will go up after the fact that does that. If you are a pirate, you should have known this would happen sooner rather than later.
    I'm sorry but uploading sites are not pirating sites. If some people use them as such that's their problem, but a good chunk of it was just completely legitimate files, to use examples for which I have used it: videos shared from my phone that I can't mail, studywork, big rar files of my backups, etc etc.

No site is exclusively pirating, not even torrent sites. There's enough legitimate stuff on it to make closing it down downright censoring. You wanna deal with the piracy problem, fine, then deal with that problem specifically without shutting down the rest.

Furthermore, do you have any idea how vague the term piracy is? Essentially everything can be made piracy and a violation of copyright laws.

Deleted

you probably have not seen much stuff produced in Europe. since most of it is not even in English...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    you probably have not seen much stuff produced in Europe. since most of it is not even in English...
    Not only are there many good television shows created in Europe, many of the more popular American shows are entirely based on European programs themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    Preferably with a botnet.
    A while ago, The BBC got hold of one and DDoSed (with permission) a back up site of a security firm.

The wierd thing is, that a botnet is mainly created from people downloading infected files from piracy

Here's the article http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ne/7932816.stm

Deleted

yup, once they stop charging stupid amounts i will buy their stuff. when i started college they reccomended some software we buy, came to like £200 in total, fuck that i am gonna pirate it. as a student i cant really afford to blow £200 on software. as for games, i pretty much always pay for them £40 at the most for a game, and i will usually play a game for a few days if not more. but a film, i said it before, but i wont spend more than £5 on a film, no way i am gonna spend £15 on a film i will watch once. and music i just youtube anyway, so not pirated but i am not paying.

---------- Post added 2012-01-23 at 09:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    Not only are there many good television shows created in Europe, many of the more popular American shows are entirely based on European programs themselves.

well i havn't seen many EU shows really, i don't speak any of the languages, but its a bit ignorant to say they have not made anything good, plus thats down to opinion. i think most of the US shows i have seen are rubbish, like 90% of the ones that get shown here have such simmilar stories and predictable plots, i much prefer most of the UK shows. but its down to opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    I said it before and ill say it again, just because the bill didnt pass they will use other methods to get the point across, megaupload and filesonic are just the cream watch the public torrents sites go next.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post

The textbook industry. $250 for my books this semester. My labor book was $130! I should have pirated that shit! THAT'S unreasonable.

But OT, that's exactly what's wrong with the entertainment industry. They don't adapt. They overcharge for shitty quality goods and then complain when their shit gets pirated. HOW ABOUT THIS CHRIS DODD? Sell your shit at a lower price and with higher quality.

But don't you both agree and understand that pirating is only hurting yourselves and others with similar problems? The less you use netflix, amazon, or cheaper internet-sources because you can pirate, the less chance those companies will ever be able to completely replace the old industry that is breaking your neck.
    Last edited by Collegeguy; 2012-01-23 at 09:25 PM.

Deleted
    omg so true, i had to pay 150$ for one of the most retarded books for the sole reason because it had a code where it allowed me to access an online application where ALL my assignments were, they basically coerced me to buy their crap.

btw that book was barely 100 pages and it contained information that a mentally handicapped child would probably know.
    lol! in college we had a programming course, and we was told to buy a book for £25, so i bought it, was about 200 pages, and completely out of date and a lot of wrong stuff in it, but the course was based off this book for some unknown reason. total ripoff

---------- Post added 2012-01-23 at 09:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post

yeah i posted the same thing a few pages back (or maybe different thread), but these industries refuse to use new technologies like the internet, and they completely overcharge for their goods and wonder why people are finding other ways to get it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Half of these post just come off as foreigners being angry that the American government is making it harder for them to steal American movies and TV shows. If it was just about file sharing, you could simply make torrents. Or get any one of the many free email accounts that come with online storage, 25gb in some cases, and then put your data on that, and share the account info.

Then you have the other half of posts which seems to be people crying about the cost. When the cost is just paying for getting it sooner. You could simply wait 6 months after the DVD is out and its on HBO or Showtime or Starz for much less, or you could wait a year and watch it on Netflix for almost nothing, or you could wait 18 months and watch it on basic cable, or 2 years and watch it FREE on broadcast.

You steal it not because you can't afford it, because eventually its FREE, but simply because you can and you don't want to wait. Now its getting harder and you are crying about it as if it was some human right to watch high quality high cost entertainment for free as soon as it is released.

yeah i posted the same thing a few pages back (or maybe different thread), but these industries refuse to use new technologies like the internet, and they completely overcharge for their goods and wonder why people are finding other ways to get it.
    Apple seems like its going to iTunes them as well with their new ebook setup.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

the american government is deciding that they are the ultimate copyright infringement police with pure untouchable legal power to imprison people from other countries and shut down websites with or without SOPA/PIPA. this is a very, very, very serious situation. if what's happening now was a movie in the early 2000's, it would be unbelievable. it's happening right now. everyone should legitimately be a bit worried. probably more than a bit, if you've ever committed some form of copyright infringement. the united states government extradited a UK citzen for fire sharing and is bringing him to the united states to stand trial for copyright infringement. not joking.

I do not claim to be well-versed in legal matter, so take this post with a dash of salt and pepper.

From my understanding, SOPA and PIPA were not needed to authorize criminal sanctions against shutting down Web sites associated with online piracy. Plain and simple, that's never been legal.

Instead, the distinct problems with the bills related to restricting user ACCESS to such sites, which, as I'm sure you can envision, poses a great deal of potential problems. When a government (as opposed to a private entity) can restrict access to whatever site that government may object to, you can imagine where that would lead.

As my Senator phrased it in my request for his opposition (in bold to separate his comments from mine)...

S. 968 was introduced on May 12, 2011, and referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee. On May 26, it was reported out of committee and placed on the general legislative calendar. If enacted, S. 968 would amend federal copyright law to authorize the Attorney General to file civil action against violators of copyright infringement law.

H.R. 3261 was introduced on October 26, 2011, and referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary. On December 16, it was considered before the full committee; however, the bill was not voted out for consideration by the full House. If enacted, H.R. 3261 would authorize the Attorney General to seek a court order against a U.S.-directed foreign Internet site committing or facilitating online piracy.

On January 23, 2012, a procedural vote on S. 968 was scheduled in the Senate; however, Majority Leader Reid announced that this vote will be postponed in order to allow for modifications to the bill to be made . Furthermore, House Judiciary Chairman Lamar Smith announced that further consideration of H.R. 3261 would be postponed indefinitely.

968 is PIPA, 3261 is SOPA.

In a governmental civil action (the PIPA one), the government typically goes to court seeking legal ownership of a business' assets after seizing them. They can already do this, so I don't understand why an additional law was needed. Maybe it doesn't relate to the Internet as it stands, but I dunno.

Basically, a court order (in the SOPA one) is defined on Wikipedia as "an official proclamation by a judge (or panel of judges) that defines the legal relationships between the parties to a hearing, a trial, an appeal or other court proceedings. Such ruling requires or authorizes the carrying out of certain steps by one or more parties to a case. A court order must be signed by a judge; some jurisdiction may require it to be notarized."

That court order could impose anything the Attorney General wishes it to, but a judge must authorize it.

Anyhow, that's my extremely limited understanding.

If you're in the States and haven't written your congressmen yet, what are you waiting for?

15+ Year Old Account
    When it comes to the movie industry its so much easier to go "pirating has killed us they dl the movie same week its released for free" rather than asking WHY it's happening. It's the fact it's free it is the fact that everyone has a big screen TV, surround sound, and methods to get the "Cinema Experience of big screen big sound" at home!

They have not moved up with the times at all and are being left in the dark and the consumers of the products that can use the technology are moving faster than the movie producers. I mean my blue ray player came with a USB input and has pretty much all the encoding readers needed to play movies off the usb key. If anything the tech producers for media gadgets have made pirating and using the media way easier than in the past!

When it comes to tv shows / stations they have been slow as well...tvr is a great tool for many but if you don't have one DLing is pretty much the only option if you missed a show other than waiting months to buy it on dvd/BRD. Now if they set up a way that if you had a code from your cable sat prov saying you have them in your chan list you could go and watch it online (even with commercials) allot of DL'ing would be gone!

The main prob is that they can't control it anymore...even when we could tape it on vhs it was not as bad as chances are your recording will get to maybe 5 people max...now your copy online will get to hundreds of not thousands of people! However if you don't take steps to meet a demand / need then others will and chances are like right now it wont be one you like!

Every1 is now uploading everything to rapidshare... they are so freaking dumb... this way, they will kill RS as well

congratz. FBI made my day.... not

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    Half of these post just come off as foreigners being angry that the American government is making it harder for them to steal American movies and TV shows. If it was just about file sharing, you could simply make torrents. Or get any one of the many free email accounts that come with online storage, 25gb in some cases, and then put your data on that, and share the account info.

Then you have the other half of posts which seems to be people crying about the cost. When the cost is just paying for getting it sooner. You could simply wait 6 months after the DVD is out and its on HBO or Showtime or Starz for much less, or you could wait a year and watch it on Netflix for almost nothing, or you could wait 18 months and watch it on basic cable, or 2 years and watch it FREE on broadcast.

You steal it not because you can't afford it, because eventually its FREE, but simply because you can and you don't want to wait. Now its getting harder and you are crying about it as if it was some human right to watch high quality high cost entertainment for free as soon as it is released.
    Agreed. It's a strange form of entitlement, though, isn't it? "I am entitled to be entertained for free." At least be a proper thief and steal something of value.