Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Mass Effect 3 Demo Slated for Valentine's day Release

Who else's boner will be busting thru on that day as well??

here is one of the many sources if you have not already known:

http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Mass-E...ruary-14/10112

Deleted
    ah, one of the virtues of not being in a romantic relationship.

Shepard will be my girlfriend that day

can quarians eat chocolate and smell lfowers...no?...well im screwed

As excited as I am for ME3, I'm not into demos. I wanna go into the finished game completely ignorant.

I do the same with movies I know I'm gonna watch. No movie trailers for me! Tempting, especially with the new batman/The Hobbit. But I can't do it!
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

10+ Year Old Account
    just read a plot synopsis; that'll give you the same experience as playing any other mass effect title.

i've never understood why they were so popular.
    you have what basically amounts to an interactive movie, and then peppered in between, you have what i refer to as 'shooter cutscenes'.
    however, the shooter element of the game is actually very poor and most people just rush through it to get to the next story element.

mass effect is a testament to how crappy video games have become.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    just read a plot synopsis; that'll give you the same experience as playing any other mass effect title.

you have what basically amounts to an interactive movie, and then peppered in between, you have what i refer to as 'shooter cutscenes'.
    however, the shooter element of the game is actually very poor and most people just rush through it to get to the next story element.

That is what an RPG is...?
    If you don't like RPG's then obviously you wont like ME
    and if you think the gameplay is bad....then you sir are definitely playing ToR right now.

If you don't like Mass Effect and are just here to bash the game, why are you in a thread discussing the demo? Whatever, I'll bite.

First off, a plot synopsis does not give you the same experience because it removes everything that makes a story great. There's no pacing with a synopsis. Everything is revealed to you at once so there's no suspense. You also don't have time to reflect on a singular event after it happens but before the next one happens, which builds anticipation of the coming event. There's also no reason for you to care about the story. There's no emotional investment because you haven't experienced it for yourself. In other words you're not immersed in the story.

Ever heard of a game called Assassin's Creed? Well, uh, spoilers for that because I'm about to use it as an example. Here's a plot synopsis, with pictures and everything.

This is what the game's ending is actually like.

You lose the emotion that only happens in the moment. Also, the quality of Mass Effect's combat system is debatable. I for one enjoy ME1 and ME2 concerning gameplay as well as story. In ME1, I had fun vaporizing people with giant pink balls of energy from my shotgun. In ME2 I enjoyed launching mini nukes at things and going all Matrix on their asses with bullet time. I certainly wouldn't go as far as to call them shooter cutscenes, as that implies a big lack of difficulty. ME1 and 2, while not the hardest games ever, give a pretty good challenge on their highest difficulties. As the tankiest class I've been 2 shotted by some enemies in both games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandoh View Post
    That is what an RPG is...?
    If you don't like RPG's then obviously you wont like ME
    and if you think the gameplay is bad....then you sir are definitely playing ToR right now.
    I love RPGs. What I don't like are 'RP and about 1/4 a g', which is what Mass Effect tends to be. It's not much of a game.
    I know that the modern-day RPGs are a lot like this - the new Final Fantasy games, etc - but I don't like them either.

I remember RPGs when they were actually games. Games like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI were actual games - and their stories are second to none too. So if they could tell a great story, while still having an actual game to play, why can't the 'new generation' of games?

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    If you don't like Mass Effect and are just here to bash the game, why are you in a thread discussing the demo? Whatever, I'll bite.

First off, a plot synopsis does not give you the same experience because it removes everything that makes a story great. There's no pacing with a synopsis. Everything is revealed to you at once so there's no suspense. You also don't have time to reflect on a singular event after it happens but before the next one happens, which builds anticipation of the coming event. There's also no reason for you to care about the story. There's no emotional investment because you haven't experienced it for yourself. In other words you're not immersed in the story.

Ever heard of a game called Assassin's Creed? Well, uh, spoilers for that because I'm about to use it as an example. Here's a plot synopsis, with pictures and everything.

This is what the game's ending is actually like.

You lose the emotion that only happens in the moment. Also, the quality of Mass Effect's combat system is debatable. I for one enjoy ME1 and ME2 concerning gameplay as well as story. In ME1, I had fun vaporizing people with giant pink balls of energy from my shotgun. In ME2 I enjoyed launching mini nukes at things and going all Matrix on their asses with bullet time. I certainly wouldn't go as far as to call them shooter cutscenes, as that implies a big lack of difficulty. ME1 and 2, while not the hardest games ever, give a pretty good challenge on their highest difficulties. As the tankiest class I've been 2 shotted by some enemies in both games.
    Why is anyone here? Just to exchange ideas and stuff. I'm not asking you to agree with me, but it doesn't mean I am not going to defend what I have to say.

Frankly, I haven't been 'emotionally invested' in a game since Final Fantasy Tactics - another RPG that emphasized the 'G'. If you want to talk about difficulty, try that one. It's not exceptionally hard - but it's harder than Mass Effect or Mass Effect 2, by a mile.
    Having ridiculously overpowered enemies doesn't make a game 'hard' - it makes it frustrating and silly. And frankly, if you look at all the other shooters out there, you can see that the shooter cutscenes of the Mass Effect series are about 5-7 years behind the times.

Sorry guys, but an interactive movie thrown on top of a 2001 shooter does not deserve the hype it gets.

I love RPGs. What I don't like are 'RP and about 1/4 a g', which is what Mass Effect tends to be. It's not much of a game.
    I know that the modern-day RPGs are a lot like this - the new Final Fantasy games, etc - but I don't like them either.

I remember RPGs when they were actually games. Games like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI were actual games - and their stories are second to none too. So if they could tell a great story, while still having an actual game to play, why can't the 'new generation' of games?

Why is anyone here? Just to exchange ideas and stuff. I'm not asking you to agree with me, but it doesn't mean I am not going to defend what I have to say.

Frankly, I haven't been 'emotionally invested' in a game since Final Fantasy Tactics - another RPG that emphasized the 'G'. If you want to talk about difficulty, try that one. It's not exceptionally hard - but it's harder than Mass Effect or Mass Effect 2, by a mile.
    Having ridiculously overpowered enemies doesn't make a game 'hard' - it makes it frustrating and silly. And frankly, if you look at all the other shooters out there, you can see that the shooter cutscenes of the Mass Effect series are about 5-7 years behind the times.

Sorry guys, but an interactive movie thrown on top of a 2001 shooter does not deserve the hype it gets.
    Just sayin, I guarantee I've played through FFT more times than anyone else on mmo-champion, (20+ 100% playthroughs, with several other non-100% playthroughs) and ME 1 and 2 on Insanity are significantly harder. Though FFT isn't hard AT ALL for me anymore. I admit Weigraf/Velius was a little annoying on my first playthrough, but it wasn't too bad. And I'm not sure what you would call difficult though if enemies that two shot you aren't hard. It's certainly not frustrating and silly though. Sure, it's frustrating if you run in Rambo style and get pwnt by the Krogan with a shotgun 20 times in a row. But that just means it requires some brains to win, and honestly that's the combat working correctly because you're not supposed to play the game while taking retard pills. The combat is actually rather tactical on the highest difficulty, as you need to use the right abilities and weapons for the right situations/enemies. Between the 2 games, there were only 3 fights that were hard enough to make me complain on insanity. Harbinger's ambush aboard the derelict Reaper in ME2, the first Praetorian you fight in ME2, and the grand high fight of screwing you over, Chora's freaking den in ME1! You would think a fight so early in the game wouldn't require such perfect play and use of poke tactics.

But I'm rambling. Anywho, what is so out of date about Mass Effect's shooting though? It's not like shooters change a ton over the years. It's got multiple weapons, and the powers of your class changes up the combat enough to make things feel quite a bit different. And if you don't feel emotionally invested in any game you play, you're not doing enough to immerse yourself.

And honestly, I care about Mass Effect's story quite a bit. I just can't think of how victory is possible within the story. Killing one Reaper was basically an exercise in futility, and if it wasn't for his link with Saren being used as a big glowing weakspot, there's no way the Council/Human fleets would have been able to take down Sovereign. The two biggest military powers in the galaxy basically failed to kill a single Reaper. Now we have to annihilate an entire species of them? Losing battle with the fate of the universe on the line. It doesn't get much more epic than that. If you care about any of the characters a little bit, it feels like the universe is worth saving. Mass Effect is one of the more immersive games I've played, so much so that I can hardly believe the same company made Dragon Age 2. Honestly, I was truly hooked from the moment the epic music started playing during Shepard's speech when you first set out on the Normandy in ME1.

enjoying all the ME love.

:P

And that's the way YOU see it. if you don't like it, then move on. As simply as that.
    I for one, love Silent Hill series with all my heart, but I see that game like an interactive horror movie.

Now, as an oldie RPG player, I got to say Mass Effect can be less of a game (compared to other RPGs at least), but the action is quite entertaining and fun. I loved the story, and the way you can be a badass or a paladin.

I'd suggest to keep your 'opinions' for yourself, because you are stating your side as truth and noone will apreciate that.
    l'alurl gol zhah elghinyrr gol.

I already know I'm going to buy the game so I'm not going to bother with the demo, I want to be completely unspoiled when I get to play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I already know I'm going to buy the game so I'm not going to bother with the demo, I want to be completely unspoiled when I get to play it.
    i have been debating doing the same. but i think my boner will explode if i don't tease myself a little bit

10+ Year Old Account
    Mass Effect 2 was my favorite game of all time, so I put my faith in Bioware on this one
    "Can you truly help someone so intent on being stupid?"
    - Hawke

Deleted
    Hmm, my husband is going to be disappointed when I cut the romantic evening short for this then... :P

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    Hmm, my husband is going to be disappointed when I cut the romantic evening short for this then... :P
    This is pretty much me:

Disclaimer: mods can freely edit if you find it too harsh
    l'alurl gol zhah elghinyrr gol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Forever alone =)

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    He's not into games? This is a rare instance where i'm encouraging women grooming men =P

The only reason I'm gonna play the ME3 demo is for the item unlocks in Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

If not for that I'd be waiting until the retail launch to touch ME3 because I'm so excited for it. :P