Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    And it's fair, since it's two different games except for HoM.
    Personally I think they should have a crowd that meet different specific requirements that will test throughout entire beta, and add.. preorders are good requirement, that can try out the specific weekend events.
    No. Preorders are NOT a good requirement. Anyone saying this is a retard and should be bitchslapped with a brick.
    Betas are for weeding out bugs and flaws in the game. Not for eager fanbois to have a demo of the game.

And they already said they would pick GW veterans before any other random scrub waving money around.

Infracted for flaming; expressing your opinion in this way is not acceptable.

---------- Post added 2012-01-24 at 03:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Nope, 15/30
    Only got 7/30 myself. I cant bring it on myself to get more than that, the game is just so fucking dire, its not even funny.
    Last edited by Jovanaar; 2012-01-24 at 02:34 PM.

Didn't they say the game would have an open beta years before the beta was announced?
    The most important thing to realize is, no matter what you experience you are never alone; no matter what you are struggling through, there is always someone who is more unfortunate.

It's Ok to Be Takei (Rank 35/ Fractal Level 22)

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    Link your HoM and I'll check what you can get easily.
    Oh, I should mention I don't have any characters on GW1 yet. So I'd be starting from nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Deyadissa View Post
    Didn't they say the game would have an open beta years before the beta was announced?
    They did and they still do, except they use a different approach.

Oh, I should mention I don't have any characters on GW1 yet. So I'd be starting from nothing.
    Ah that makes a lot of sense =P, be prepared for a lot of work though!

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    *cracks knuckles*
    Who wants to play some gw1 with me? :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    Great, another beta I won't be invited to.
    Depends on how big the amount of slots they have available. SWTOR also had no "open" beta, but you could sign up for the test weekend and they gave an enormous amount of keys away on curse. So not open can still be relative.

I wouldn't worry, I'm sure we'll all get our shot to test things.
    Last edited by mmoccf2a3d971d; 2012-01-24 at 03:51 PM.

I'm extremely happy with my 37/50, worked my butt off during my GW1 period. Silency working unto 40/50 so I can show-off my Flameseekers Title in GW2 =)
    I envy you. You monster.
    I really want to play GW1 from scratch, but Lineage 2 going f2p got my attention. Do you think it's worth to play GW1 atm?
    l'alurl gol zhah elghinyrr gol.

Here's an interesting tidbit on this topic...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O'Brien
    We recently finished our first closed beta test, and we’re now ready to hold progressively larger events. In February we’ll invite select press to participate in beta testing, and in March and April we’ll aggressively ramp up the size of our beta test events so that many of you will have a chance to participate. And of course, this all leads to the release of Guild Wars 2 later this year.
    More on this can be found at http://www.arena.net/blog/

Quote Originally Posted by Dupin View Post
    I envy you. You monster.
    I really want to play GW1 from scratch, but Lineage 2 going f2p got my attention. Do you think it's worth to play GW1 atm?
    +1 internets for your Portal reference, on topic; Guild Wars 1 is worth to play if you want to get to know the world of Guild Wars, it's enemies, it's allies and it's places. Also for HoM bonusses it's a great addition.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dupin View Post
    I envy you. You monster.
    Yes, just don't expect it to be anything near GW2 and the HoM to be filled within a week of work.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    *cracks knuckles*
    Who wants to play some gw1 with me? :P
    I'm in Already farming, got 6/10, with buying all 3 (instead of just factions/EotN) I'll get 1 and then by completing campaign I'll have some more. But tell me and I'm up for creating a new char to do a new campaign (or can I do the other campaign on my lvl 20???)

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    Should ban all Asura.
    Lmfao, you make an account, you get access to the beta, get super excited, download it, go to make your character.....

...click "next" on Asura, and instantly get an error message "lol pwnt" and it exits the game and prevents you from logging in again. The rage. Can you imagine?

We should get access to the beta by decreasing number of HoM points for sure, start with the GWAMMs, then people with 50, 45, 40, etc, yes I'm biased

OR by amount of money spent in their store, or by age of account... hell any of those and I'm in pretty early, which is all that matters of course.
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2012-01-24 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    Open Beta is a oxymoron. What you end up with is a whole bunch of people demoing the game and not testing it. Which I think is why SWTOR was released in such a horrible state. I'd rather not be able to play the Beta, but it actually serves it's purpose and GW2 does not release with such obviously broken stuff.
    Kinda? I agree that "open beta" is kinda an oxymoron, but it does two very important things (and a slew of other slightly less important things).

1. It stress tests hardware. Developers get a TON of back-end information from open betas. BF3 altered their net-code and if I remember correctly slightly altered the way servers work based off of feedback and data they got from the open beta. This information is invaluable for developers.

2. They get a ton of data about player activities from the open beta that will allow them to make some minor tweaks for launch. Seeing what a HUGE group of people, especially people who are there to play instead of test, are doing, how much time it takes them to level, what the most popular classes/races ect. are is extremely valuable data for continued development. They are basically getting a jump-start by gathering the data during the open beta and verifying it during launch instead of just gathering it during launch.

SWToR has problems for other reasons that have nothing to do with the final open-beta weekend (which actually was significantly MORE stable than the launch believe it or not). Open betas are extremely common and almost every major MMO uses them (SWToR used a similar beta testing schedule as Rift did and Rift didn't encounter anywhere near as many problems if I remember correctly.)

+1 internets for your Portal reference, on topic; Guild Wars 1 is worth to play if you want to get to know the world of Guild Wars, it's enemies, it's allies and it's places. Also for HoM bonusses it's a great addition.

I guess I'll give it a shot. I've been wondering what game to get (D3 or GW2) and what game to play while I wait. L2 can be great atm, since it's f2p, but dunno for gow long they can sustain their player base (recently added 3 more servers, but meh, still undecided). Now, having GW1 it's something I wanted for some time, even if it's $30 for trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider View Post
    Yes, just don't expect it to be anything near GW2 and the HoM to be filled within a week of work.
    Well no, I don't expect that. I know what I'm getting into, but I'm still in the dark about GW1's playerbase to fool around for a bit.
    l'alurl gol zhah elghinyrr gol.

The words "Open beta" were never once uttered by anyone on the ANet team except for when they said "We never said open beta."

Quote Originally Posted by DeanyKong View Post
    The words "Open beta" were never once uttered by anyone on the ANet team except for when they said "We never said open beta."
    Sorry, but you're completely wrong. They mentioned open beta frequently with quotes very similar to this one:

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Johanson
    We’re in closed alpha right now. We’re going to go into closed beta by the end of this year. Based on the outcome of the closed beta, that will determine our open beta schedule. Based on the outcome of the open beta, that’s going to determine our release date.
    Linky

All they've done now is decide to refer to it a different way to avoid misleading people who make assumptions based on it being called an "Open Beta".

Deleted
    They know everyone will overanalyze what they say so they word it carefully. Now they are in closed beta, in February they will invite press to build hype, in March-April they will invite other people (most likely non-press but bloggers and youtubers, highend GW1 pvp players and highly ranked community members is my assumption). These are all closed betas.
    Long time ago they've said they won't be doing open beta, instead they will do a preview like NCSoft did with Aion (Aion called it open beta but it was few days before release so it was a preview). This would be open to everyone, so you can check the game for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by athrl View Post
    They know everyone will overanalyze what they say so they word it carefully. Now they are in closed beta, in February they will invite press to build hype, in March-April they will invite other people (most likely non-press but bloggers and youtubers, highend GW1 pvp players and highly ranked community members is my assumption). These are all closed betas.
    Long time ago they've said they won't be doing open beta, instead they will do a preview like NCSoft did with Aion (Aion called it open beta but it was few days before release so it was a preview). This would be open to everyone, so you can check the game for yourself.
    Didn't they just announce the completion of Closed Betas a few days ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashilax View Post
    Didn't they just announce the completion of Closed Betas a few days ago?
    The first round of closed beta. They will have a number of closed beta events.