Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Open beta will not be fully open

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/...&postcount=652

Just got tweeted by Guild Wars 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    Sensationalist title much? Open beta will be open. The thing is, what Martin is talking about there isn't Open Beta and he specifically states that.

So sort of like what BioWare did for SW:TOR.

10+ Year Old Account
    Great, another beta I won't be invited to.

Deleted
    Not a surprise at all, they wouldent get anything out of that except a stress test. This way they actually will get something out of it. and that is whats its all about, they getting something out of it, not us

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BlairPhoenix View Post
    Sensationalist title much? Open beta will be open. The thing is, what Martin is talking about there isn't Open Beta and he specifically states that.
    Well, the way Martin has worded it, shows that there isn;t going to be an "open beta" hence why he talks about beta weekends rather than an open beta.

Quote Originally Posted by Moontalon View Post
    So sort of like what BioWare did for SW:TOR.
    And if I remember the first GW was done this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard_fatman View Post
    And if I remember the first GW was done this way.
    Wouldn't surprise me. It's the better route for actually TESTING the game, as people just use open betas as a "I get to play the game early!" thing.

Deleted
    I don't think it will be as closed as World of Warcrafts betas tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    Well, the way Martin has worded it, shows that there isn;t going to be an "open beta" hence why he talks about beta weekends rather than an open beta.
    I don't see where he implicitly states there won't be an open beta. His statement is focused on the closed beta weekends and informing the public why they aren't calling them open beta. There is nothing in his post that suggests there can't be an open beta after said beta weekends are over

10+ Year Old Account
    Sooo someone go make a "GW2 NO BETA CLUB" banner for me, I'm probably going to need it. ;~;

Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    I don't think it will be as closed as World of Warcrafts betas tho.
    Probably not. But they're still closed betas. Rift's last few closed betas were very very easy for people to get in, but were still technically considered to be closed betas.

So it's just like GW1 public beta. What's the issue really?

Deleted
    I don't see where he implicitly states there won't be an open beta. His statement is focused on the closed beta weekends and informing the public why they aren't calling them open beta. There is nothing in his post that suggests there can't be an open beta after said beta weekends are over
    Pretty much this sentence says they aren't doing an "open" beta. He says they'll be doing it similar to GW1 which wasn't open.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Kerstein View Post
    We purposely didn’t use the term “Open Beta”, we mentioned Beta Events. To some people Open Beta means unlimited access to the game and everybody on the interwebs can play it. This is not what we will do.
    He quite simply states what they are going to do for "open" beta, and that's not have a traditional "open" beta, since they know what players doing in "open" betas.

Deleted
    Probably not. But they're still closed betas. Rift's last few closed betas were very very easy for people to get in, but were still technically considered to be closed betas.
    I didn't even play it and I had 2 accounts xD

im just hoping the NDA will be lifted for the Press beta invites so we can get some more vid's up with peoples thoughts on the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    im just hoping the NDA will be lifted for the Press beta invites so we can get some more vid's up with peoples thoughts on the game.
    They will, just not for a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    He quite simply states what they are going to do for "open" beta, and that's not have a traditional "open" beta, since they know what players doing in "open" betas.
    Not quite. He states what they aren't going to do for their Beta events. His statement there essentially states, they didn't use the term Open Beta for the Beta events on purpose, defines what an Open Beta is, and says that they aren't doing that for those weekends. That's how I'm reading it at any rate.

Deleted
    Not quite. He states what they aren't going to do for their Beta events. His statement there essentially states, they didn't use the term Open Beta for the Beta events on purpose, defines what an Open Beta is, and says that they aren't doing that for those weekends. That's how I'm reading it at any rate.
    Well, we'll have to agree to disagree until we get confirmation on it from Anet. As I'm reading it differently to you.

Deleted
    so err.. how did you get into this "almost closed- but not really closed-beta" in GW1? or will it all be random and they send out like beta keys like with Diablo3 ? I have been awefully unlucky to get anything that includes "radom selection" :/