[Movies] What happens to the Empire after Return of the Jedi?

OK Vader and Emperor are dead but so what? Theres still a massive Imperial armada and certainly there are more sith in the galaxy. Just seems like a lot of stuff is left unanswered. Like we need another 3 movies. I know theres more story out there but where do I find it? Like how Han and Leia get married, have twins, one which becomes a Sith Lord and is later killed by his own sister who is a jedi. Also how Luke does momentarily go over to the darkside. Also stuff like Chewbacca dieing in a following war. Are there books or something?

There are a lot of books and comics. Some are better than others, Heir the the Empire by Zahn was one of the best but it is set about 7 years after ROTJ

Are those people allowed to continue the story they way they want to or does George Lucas have to give them permission?

10+ Year Old Account
    I've always wondered the same thing. Unless the fan books are canon, what does happen? Surely there were other competent people who could've taken over after the Emperor and Vader were dead :\

I'd give you an inch, you'd take me a mile, your tail wagging happily all the while.

15+ Year Old Account
    Some years after the events of Return of the Jedi the Galaxy was invaded by the Yuuzhan Vong killing hundereds of trillions of people in a terrible war that almost destroys the galaxy. To answer your question though, the Imperial Army split off into a number of factions resulting in some imperial civil wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Lythria View Post
    Are those people allowed to continue the story they way they want to or does George Lucas have to give them permission?
    They need George Lucas's approval. He rarely reviews thing directly though, he has a guy for that. His name is Leeland Chee and his entire job is to make sure nothing screwy happens with Star Wars canon. George Lucas's official view on the matter is that what Leeland Chee says = word of god. All official Star Wars media involve his approval on some level. This includes video games, books, animated series, comics, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    They need George Lucas's approval. He rarely reviews thing directly though, he has a guy for that. His name is Leeland Chee and his entire job is to make sure nothing screwy happens with Star Wars canon. George Lucas's official view on the matter is that what Leeland Chee says = word of god. All official Star Wars media involve his approval on some level. This includes video games, books, animated series, comics, etc.
    Sooooo.... he's basically the Chris Metzen of Star Wars..?

Does he do voice-overs too?

10+ Year Old Account
    A bunch of it is detailed in the Rogue Squadron series which follows Wedge Antilles and a previously unknown character. Portions of the Empire fragment into various factions headed by warlords that then vie for control over the remnants with eachother. Toss in hidden/other incomplete superweapons/entire fleets that don't know the Emperor is dead and yeah - the Yuuzhan Vong invasion.

I don't think I've read anything alluding to a final collapse of the empire, but the majority of it gets routed/annexed into the New Republic.
    Last edited by Sterilize; 2012-01-25 at 04:02 AM.
    Undefined animosity is a device of the spineless, the means of a fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratches View Post

I don't believe so lol. Calling him the Chris Metzen of Star Wars, while technically true, seems a bit insulting to him. Personally, I think he handles Star Wars lore better than Metzen handles Warcraft lore. And Star Wars lore is also a lot more complicated. There's just so much expanded universe content concerning games and books. Making sure it all fits together must take an insane amount of work. And Chee has had to retcon a few things concerning Star Wars lore when authors have made glaring mistakes that no one's caught. For example, I believe in one of the books it was stated that the clone army in the Rise of the Empire era had 3 million soldiers, which is a laughably low amount, and would leave something like 2-3 soldiers defending each planet in Republic space. Chee's job is to prevent and fix mistakes like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Worgenite View Post
    I've always wondered the same thing. Unless the fan books are canon, what does happen? Surely there were other competent people who could've taken over after the Emperor and Vader were dead :\
    They're considered canon - but many prefer to group them into an "alternate" universe type thing. There was enough content existing prior to Lucas going back and doing episodes 1-3 that contradictions were bound to happen and that just seems the easiest route to go.
    Undefined animosity is a device of the spineless, the means of a fool.

In some of the earlier books they give a short rundown of what happened where in the middle of the 1990's LucasArts gave approval to having the books done and one of their rules was what happened in one book was now considered lore. So, if a character died in one book the next book couldn't have that character suddenly reappear. All in all though those books can be considered lore in terms of what happened after the Return Of The Jedi.

As an aside I was caught up in the books up to the Yuuzhan Vong storyline. Then a shitload of books came out and well I'm so far behind it's not even funny. Last year I did pick up a book where Luke and Sith worked together even though I had no idea who some of the extra characters were or knew what the full storyline was. It was actually pretty good.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratches View Post

No, since Metzen is the guy who comes up with the lore, and not a guy who stamps things with stamps of approval.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

I just googled the Yuuzan Vong and its really interesting. I didnt know that solo and leia would have a kid that would become a Darth Caedus guess it runs in the family.. .lol

Well for one, the Emperor returns and make Luke join him during the Dark Empire arc.

Then all the other stuff occurs after/on the side of that.