Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Where did my dollar go?

So I saw as shirt for 97 dollars. I was short on cash so I borrowed money from my parents. 50 dollars from my Mom, and 50 from my dad. I go and buy the shirt and have 3 dollars left over. So I give 1 dollar to my mom, 1 dollar to my dad and keep 1 dollar for my self.

So I owe my Mom 49 dollars, my Dad 49 dollars and I have my 1 dollar.

49+49+1= 99

WHERE IS MY DOLLAR?
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...cn=Revolutions

BATTLEMASTER (After 3.3.5 nerf) REVOLUTIONS REPORTING IN.
    Wielder of The Scepter of Shifting Sands, Hand of Ragnaros, and Shadowmourne. Bringer of 66 minute kings.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutions View Post
    So I saw as shirt for 97 dollars. I was short on cash so I borrowed money from my parents. 50 dollars from my Mom, and 50 from my dad. I go and buy the shirt and have 3 dollars left over. So I give 1 dollar to my mom, 1 dollar to my dad and keep 1 dollar for my self.

49+49+1= 99

WHERE IS MY DOLLAR?
    1st of all its not your dollar but parents. 2nd - you cannot do that calculation (49 + 49 since you do not have that money - you've spend it on shirt). If mom gives you $50, then you need only $47 from dad (97-50=47). $3 are extra - you give 2 back + $1 is in your pocket. Basically all thatI am trying to say is that 49+49+1 calculation doesn't work here.

You spent 48.50 of your parents money, if you spent equally out of their money, so you technically only gave them back $.5 to reach 49.

It was lost in the math. (It really was, you broke some math rule that I cant remember the name of)

Math teacher used to tell us this one, way back in the stone age
    I play many games. WoW, Rift, D3, PoE, SC2 I will not criticize your game choice if you don't mine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like a really fricken expensive shirt

You borrowed $50 from your mom and $50 from your dad. You already paid out 1 dollar to each, so you owe them $49 each (98 total). When you finish paying them back, you'll still have paid back $100. That $1 you gave to yourself you still owe to them, you just temporarily added it to your pocket book until you pay the remainder off.

Why would you want a 97 dollar shirt?

Also.

100(Total Money)-97(Cost of Shirt) = 3

3 - 1(To Mother) - 1(To Father) = 1(Your leftover Dollar)
    Last edited by Abbeel; 2012-01-25 at 08:08 AM.

Ok, look.
    1.) Borrow $100.
    2.) Spend $97.
    3.) Pay back $2.
    4.) You owe $98 more dollars now because the extra dollar you kept!

The trick was that the $49 + $49 was the dept (you already paid $1 + $1) and the $1 wasn't, it was for yourself!

I......well............

10+ Year Old Account
    U basically get 101 dollars, if u keep one for urself. That explains 2x49 +3. Id evaluate further but im on my phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyra View Post
    Because what they are atm are plait tugging, sniffing, glaring, prissy, clothes obsessed bitches who I would quite cheerfully drown.
    I often post from my mobile device, typos in my posts are 99% likely to be because of that.
    All I would ever want and need is a hug.

Your whole 'concept' goes awry at the end.

but then you know this already.

After buying the shirt you have $3 left and owe $100.

After giving the $1 to each of your parents you have $1 and owe $98.

Both equate to being $97 in the tube whether it's 3 minus 100 or 1 minus 98.

the issue is you are trying to add negatives.

Instead of 49+49+1 it's 1-49-49 as I explained above.

You only 'have' the $1 - the 49 are both negative values.

1) Bad math. You borrowed $100 ($50 from each parent) and got $3 change. You repaid $1 to each parent ($2 total) and have $1 of that change that you did not repay to either parent. Not your dollar.

2) Who spends $97 on a shirt?
    CPU - Intel i5-2500k w/Corsair H50 * MB - ASUS P67 Pro
    RAM - 8GB Mushkin PC-1600 * GPU - EVGA GTX 770 SC 2GB
    SSD - Crucial M4 120GB SATA3 * HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA3

WHERE IS MY DOLLAR?
    You buy a $97 shirt and get $3 back. That dollar you have right now isn't supposed to be added to the money all together as it is a dollar you owe your parents. By not giving that dollar to one of your parents you are adding money to the problem.

The way it should be is you gave each parent a dollar back and their total minus the $1 you have equals the $97 the shirt cost. The $100 is a misdirection

It would look like 49+49-1=97

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

49+49+1= 99

WHERE IS MY DOLLAR?
    This is why i was in the special math class in highschool. :/

I've seen this presented many ways and sorry but this isn't the best of them. One of my favorites:

Three men walk into a hotel. The manager standing at the desk says there is only 1 room available. After some discussion, they elect to share the room. Rooms at this hotel cost $25 a night. Since the manager isn't very good at math, he says that they cost $30, so that'll be $10 a piece to each of the men. They each pay $10 and the bellhop takes them and their luggage to the room. When the bellhop returns to the lobby, the manager is feeling guilty about overcharging the men. He tells the bellhop, "I overcharged those three guests by $5, could you go split it among them?". While the bellhop is walking back to the room, he realizes that he can't divide $5 among three people, so he says to himself, I'll just pocket $2 and give $1 back to each guest.

So when you look at it, each man paid $9 for their room, because they were refunded $1. The bellhop kept $2. Thats $9+$9+$9 that the men paid for $27, and $2 in the bellhops pocket for $29.... Where's the missing dollar?

Disclaimer: I was not the author of the above and it's a lot more fun to say it rather than type it, stressing certain words and clever speech makes all the difference. I also may have gotten some parts wrong.
    You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Pogoball View Post

2) Who spends $97 on a shirt?

$99.99 on sale. and damn right i would buy that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I need a dollar, dollar, a dollar that's what I need, hey hey.

Deleted
    You shouldnt have given yourself a dollar in the first place as the money was all from your parents lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    I'm shit at maths but this is how i figure it. You ignore the cost of the shirt and focus on the debt.
    You borrowed a total of $100.
    You pay your parents back 2 dollars each which leaves $98 left of your debt. You give your parents a further €49 bucks a piece, your debt is cleared. You don't keep a frigging dollar for yourself :P

Other way of looking at it -
    the shirt cost $97.
    You borrowed 2 lots of $50, a total of $100.
    You get $3 change.
    You pay back $2, which still leaves you with a debt of $98, versus the $97 that you spent on the shirt. The problem is that you're essentially trying to add a phantom dollar by keeping a buck for yourself. You didn't have $1 in the first place. You started out with zero, so should finish with zero.

I dunno, makes sense in my head anyway.

---------- Post added 2012-01-25 at 11:57 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aethilus View Post
    I've seen this presented many ways and sorry but this isn't the best of them. One of my favorites:

Three men walk into a hotel. The manager standing at the desk says there is only 1 room available. After some discussion, they elect to share the room. Rooms at this hotel cost $25 a night. Since the manager isn't very good at math, he says that they cost $30, so that'll be $10 a piece to each of the men. They each pay $10 and the bellhop takes them and their luggage to the room. When the bellhop returns to the lobby, the manager is feeling guilty about overcharging the men. He tells the bellhop, "I overcharged those three guests by $5, could you go split it among them?". While the bellhop is walking back to the room, he realizes that he can't divide $5 among three people, so he says to himself, I'll just pocket $2 and give $1 back to each guest.

So when you look at it, each man paid $9 for their room, because they were refunded $1. The bellhop kept $2. Thats $9+$9+$9 that the men paid for $27, and $2 in the bellhops pocket for $29.... Where's the missing dollar?

Disclaimer: I was not the author of the above and it's a lot more fun to say it rather than type it, stressing certain words and clever speech makes all the difference. I also may have gotten some parts wrong.
    This one is much better and I'm currently scratching my head trying to figure it out
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Quote Originally Posted by Aethilus View Post

Same thing with this one. The room cost $27 now, so you wouldn't add the $2 the bellhop took out because that's part of the $27.

The room cost $27 total after the bellhop dropped off the $3, add the $3 to the $27 you paid for the room, or 9+9+9+3=$30.

No missing dollar