10+ Year Old Account

Profession Specific Quests

Has anyone heard any information on if there will be profession-specific quests/quest chains similar to Vanilla/BC WoW? I loved it in WoW and was sad when they started shedding them off from the game. I know GW2 isn't like any other MMO and it's not trying to be, but it would definitely be something I would be interested in.

Thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe that they original design of traits in the game had profession specific challenges attached to them. They don't exist now however, and I don't think there are any profession specific challenges that replaced them.

There are general challenges scattered across the world for all professions to do, but there isn't exclusive content for professions.

If you want content based on what you chose for your character, there is the personal story quests which are totally based on your choices and branch off into different directions. Those are as close to profession specific quests as there are, however they are more based on your race than profession choice.

You can read more about Personal Story here.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

10+ Year Old Account
    *Before I read down the article you linked*

If class-specific quests aren't something they're into putting in, then race-specific ones will do. I feel like race-specific questing should reveal more lore behind my character, which I like. I'll read through that now, thank you.

---------- Post added 2012-03-10 at 11:56 AM ----------

*Reading through the article at the moment*

"One is the overall story of the world - the awakening of the Elder Dragons and their ravages and destruction across Tyria. Another is the rise and fall of the adventuring guild 'Destiny's Edge.' We also have a personal storyline shaped for each character at creation. Choices a character makes in this storyline will affect their lives, their homes, and their interactions. Lastly, there are the ongoing stories of the world, with constantly changing events occurring throughout each region that allow the various factions, races, and individuals of the world to interact. Tyria is a busy place!"

This sounds sort of like a Skyrim type feel on an MMORPG, which I'll enjoy. (I know it's not exact :P)

As I'm reading on, I'm getting the feel that I should DEFINITELY not pick the same race twice if I want to experience all of the game. There's a lot of story behind every race apparently and I'll have to test them each out. That's cool.
    Last edited by Whisperawr; 2012-03-10 at 07:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Whisperawr View Post
    As I'm reading on, I'm getting the feel that I should DEFINITELY not pick the same race twice if I want to experience all of the game. There's a lot of story behind every race apparently and I'll have to test them each out. That's cool.
    Yeah. You only have 5 character slots, which is just enough for every race. You can buy extra character slots, but it'll take a while to dig through 5 characters, and by then it won't be a very big deal to throw down some money if you enjoy the game. I'm not a big alt guy myself, but I'll definitely be playing all the races at least once. Whether I'm going to go for more characters beyond that, I don't know.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Agreed, the class specific quests were my favourite in Vanilla.
    But as stated above there are none in GW2.

Bit sad, but, nevertheless its going to be a great game.

10+ Year Old Account
    You won't need profession specific quests. Every single player gets a personal storyline that, although tied into the overall core plot and thus similar between every player, is ultimately impacted by: race, profession, answers to the three questions in character creation, and the decisions you make through the storyline itself.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    5 Slots is enough. Human, human, charr, norn, silvari... Im looking forward to it.

Like people said, in early stages of development their where trait quests that where class specific but where removed between then and now. Their said reasoning for this is because "they didn't like that it took players away from a group to do something others in your group may not have", so there is almost no chance they would do race ones either since it would lead to the same reason they said they didn't like the class trait system of old. Which though I doubt that was the only reason to change it, I do see that point as being valid since though class quests where somewhat fun to have in WoW they really did hamper playing with friends specially ones like the druid aqua form where there was no way your friends could get to Moonglade at level 16 easily.

Either way I am neither for or against them removing the class trait quest things they had in early development because their excuse to remove that system did have valid points, though probably wasn't the only reason they where removed.