Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Activision ( Blizzard ) and SOPA

Activision supports SOPA and is the parent company of Blizzard; We want a free internet and i'm sure a new bill will be written by 2013, but how do you guys feel about wanting freedom from censorship and keeping the internet US Government hands?

I love wow but i don't support sopa; how do you guys feel about this?

"Those who count on quote 'Hollywood' for support need to understand that this industry is watching very carefully who's going to stand up for them when their job is at stake," Dodd told Fox News. "Don't ask me to write a check for you when you think your job is at risk and then don't pay attention to me when my job is at stake." - Chris Dodds ( Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) CEO )

Chris Dodds is referring to corrupt politicians asking for money if he wants SOPA to pass.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I believe SOPA is in the grave now no? Someone enlighten me.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I support SOPA fully.

censorship is needed, definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcatraz_ View Post
    It's dead but they will try to sneak it in again like how OBAMA did on the NDAA Bill last new years eve.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    SOPA was postponed indefinitely. Just an FYI.

I'm pretty sure Activision isn't a parent company, but just a major stockholder, Vivendy or whatever is the parent company, but I could be wrong as I can't seem to find the info(Did a lazy google).

I'm pretty disappointed that game companies support SOPA. I realize that Piracy is a major problem as it's basically the same as giving your work away for free.
    But with the potentional chances of sites, which could've otherwise given them major rep and hype, being taken down because someone claims copyright infringement, just seems stupid in my book.

If you support SOPA, you basically support not having your own being talked about.
    Retarded, if you ask me.

Thanks to Elyaan for the great sig!

SOPA was "tabled" after websites like Google and Wikipedia attracted media (and National) attention by having their black-out day. Once the general public found out what Uncle Sam was planning, and started voicing opposition, the bills backers pulled out. With no support from it's original backers, the bill would have failed. However tabling it means that they can re-introduce it at another time. So I would not be surprised if Uncle Sam tries the same stunt later, when public attention is turned else-where.
    Last edited by Twotonsteak; 2012-01-25 at 05:28 PM.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    I honeslty don't see this SOPA passing.

Well Blizzard hasn't said anything about SOPA from what I know so maybe they secretly support it? Or crossing their fingers crossed for it to fail?

Quote Originally Posted by Uwibami View Post
    I'm pretty sure Activision isn't a parent company, but just a major stockholder, Vivendy or whatever is the parent company, but I could be wrong as I can't seem to find the info(Did a lazy google).
    you got that backwards

SOPA is dead for now but it will be back under a different name next year again.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeTravel View Post
    SOPA is dead for now but it will be back under a different name next year again.
    Well I thought that would be ACTA which has been in ''Progress'' for awhile apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    you got that backwards
    Well... crap.
    I was sure I'd heard it was this way around, but alas in that case don't mind the whole first paragraph I said.

Thanks to Elyaan for the great sig!

SOPA might be a piece of shitty legislation but it was created for legitimate purposes. Businesses have a right to protect their copyrights and if Activision wants to support it, that's fine. This does not mean, however, that Blizzard supports it.

The next time SOPA comes around (assuming it hasn't significantly changed) then, by all means, fight it. Remember, however, that the enemy is the legislation and the government, not the businesses that have legitimate reasons to support it.
    Last edited by Belloc; 2012-01-25 at 05:33 PM.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by Uwibami View Post
    I'm pretty sure Activision isn't a parent company, but just a major stockholder, Vivendy or whatever is the parent company, but I could be wrong as I can't seem to find the info(Did a lazy Google).

I'm pretty disappointed that game companies support SOPA. I realize that Piracy is a major problem as it's basically the same as giving your work away for free.
    But with the potentional chances of sites, which could've otherwise given them major rep and hype, being taken down because someone claims copyright infringement, just seems stupid in my book.

If you support SOPA, you basically support not having your own being talked about.
    Retarded, if you ask me.
    yeah; sopa doesn't fix anything but give the us govern to censor whatever the want, you are guilty until proven innocent which means i can assume you have copyright material on your website and because of that. i can shut your business down. Not to mention the government can set up a block on searches for youtube or facebook when you type it in your browser but you can still enter the IP address and still get to the desired website.

They want us to watch FOX News who was banned by Canada BTW for excessive lying; and get our music thru them, these are the same people who tried to ban the VCR and the MP3 player. they do not want innovation, they want to be lazy and give you shit quality and expect us to be Only consumers and not competitors.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    EA, Nintendo, and Sony all pulled their support for SOPA on DEC 31st. Quietly.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Even if it passes, I would expect the Supreme Court to rule it unconstitutional as it would enable the government to exploit it to arbitrarily infringe on freedom of speech and such through draconian censorship and toss it out on its ear.

Remember, in the US, the Supreme Court trumps Congress in the end.

Deleted
    Where did you read exactly that Activision supported it? I read the opposite some time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by greysaber View Post
    EA, Nintendo, and Sony all pulled their support for SOPA on DEC 31st. Quietly.
    they were smart to do so because 13 million people petitioned the bill hahahahaaa.

And people still dont care about ACTA.

Deleted
    Activision Blizzard is majority owned by Vivendi, so that's expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeTravel View Post
    Probably, and next time it might pass

In Estonia we already have something like that. While browsing websites I noticed once that in header of one website where ad supposed to be there was some text in Estonian, it was saying something like "this website is blocked by blah blah blah ministry". From what I could understand, that ad was linking to some online gambling website (from other country), which was blocked via DNS in whole country. I don't know what for, but considering that Estonian government is bunch of crooked money grabbing morons and local trend to require personal data everywhere (no privacy here at all), probably they refused to provide detailed data on estonian citizens that gamble there or something like that. Its exactly the same method as SOPA proposed and its already working here.

edit: after googling some random gambling websites, I quickly found one that was blocked. It was redirected to this page: http://www.emta.ee/index.php?id=27342&tpl=1049
    So it was blocked because it doesn't have a license in a tiny country that nobody gives a crap about.
    Last edited by mmocbeba583bd0; 2012-01-26 at 12:59 PM.