Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

[Playstation] JRPGs

Hello there, fellow MMO-lurkers.

So I've been looking for a new JRPG to play lately, but I'm having a hard time choosing which one to look at. Thus, I came here looking for your advice.

Boring yet short backstory told, these are most of the JRPG titles I've played:

- All of the Final Fantasy games in the main series
    - Tales of / the Abyss / Symphonia / Legendia
    - Kingdom Hearts I / II / Re:CoM / I and II Final Mix
    - Persona 3 FES and 4
    - Chrono Trigger/Cross
    - Xenogears/saga Series
    - Star Ocean 3 and 4
    - Valkyrie Profile 2

I'm probably forgetting one or two of them, but eh.

Now, I want a game compatible with any of the 3 Playstations that are out (no fanboy-ism, those are just the three consoles I own). I'm also getting FF XIII-2 next week, though I'd like to have at least one more game to play by its side. Finally, I really dislike playing RPG games on a handheld console, so not interested in those.

Many thanks in advance!

EDIT: grammar mistakes and clarified the list a little.
    Last edited by mmocfb52ef2acf; 2012-01-25 at 10:02 PM.

The lunar silver star story games would be another good series to look into. You can find the first one on the playstation network

You might be able to find a copy of Star Ocean Second Story for the PSX. Also Grandia I and II were good games for the PSX and PS2 respectively IIRC. I don't own a PS3 so I'm not too familiar with what'd available for that.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

Deleted
    If it's about Jrpg's, I'll have to try and help ofc;>
    Shame there's so few on the ps3, but like some said, there's the older titles from the psn.

I second Star Ocean Second Story and Grandia 1 and 2, really great games.
    Breath of Fire 3 and 4 are very good imo (2 of my fave games).
    For the ps3 there's ofc also Eternal Sonata. If you liked the Tales series there's a a good chance you'll like Eternal Sonata as well.

Also, if you'd like something that's not totally an rpg, but does follow the general concept of the story like an rpg has, you might like Nier. It's kinda like Zelda with some more rpg elements. It's what I'd call a hidden gem, as it didn't receive rave reviews, but the game (for me) was truly amazing.

Good luck at least! In March Tales of Graces F is being released and Ni No Kuni will be coming along soon enough as well Will be a nice year for sure (hoping Tales of Xillia will also be localised^^)!

Deleted
    Lunar Silver Star and Grandia both look like decent series from what I've gathered through reviews and gameplay videos so far, will continue to dig into those a bit more.

Thanks!

star ocean 2 as mentioned above
    legend of the dragoon - ps1 (I didn't really like it but tons of people do)
    Wild Arms series - ps1/2/3
    Breath of Fire Series (3 is the first one on PS, priors were on snes) - ps1/2/3
    Grandia - ps1
    Parasite Eve - ps1
    Legend of Mana - ps1
    Suikoden - ps1
    Vandal Hearts -ps1
    Brave Fencer Musashi - ps1

if you don't mind turnbased:
    Disgaea series (FFT on steroids) - ps2/3
    Vagrant Story - ps 1
    Valkyria Chronicles - semi turn based / fps / strategy - ps3
    Last edited by bals; 2012-01-25 at 08:52 PM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well.. I was going to reccomend Blue Dragon, but then I remembered that it's Xbox 360 exclusive. Well, if you ever get the chance to get/use a 360, Blue Dragon is STELLAR.

ME TOO PLEASE
    Can I usurp your thread a little to ask you a question back? I have only played Final Fantasy (all of them), which I love. Of all those other ones you mentioned; which is the closest to it? I'd like to try another in the genre too, but don't want to stray so far from FF that I end up not liking it, and deciding to skip the whole rest of the genre.

10+ Year Old Account
    As others have said, Legend of Dragoon and Wild Arms being two of my personal favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurimas View Post
    ME TOO PLEASE
    Can I usurp your thread a little to ask you a question back? I have only played Final Fantasy (all of them), which I love. Of all those other ones you mentioned; which is the closest to it? I'd like to try another in the genre too, but don't want to stray so far from FF that I end up not liking it, and deciding to skip the whole rest of the genre.
    Dragon Warrior Franchise, also would work for OP

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't believe no one mentioned legend of legaia or dark cloud 2.Legend of legaia is a pretty cool ps1 rpg where your characters armor have unique skins.

Last edited by Newbryn; 2012-01-25 at 09:10 PM.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurimas View Post
    ME TOO PLEASE
    I'd be happy to help you as far as I can.

When you say you like the FF series, what parts of the games do you like? The Stories? Characters? Gameplay?

If you're looking for a game with a similar battle system, the one that would land you closest to FF would be Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, or maybe Persona. All of them are brutally epic (though Persona is a tad different from your ordinary game experience, even within the JRPG category). As for story, I loved pretty much all of the games I mentioned (although Star Ocean a little less, and some people find the presence of Disney Characters in the Kingdom Heart games a bit too silly/childish).

If you're looking for anything in specific, feel free to ask and I'll see what I can do!

And thanks for keeping the advice coming. Really appreciated, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Newbryn View Post
    Can't believe no one mentioned legend of legaia or dark cloud 2.Legend of legaia is a pretty cool ps1 rpg where your characters armor have unique skins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultismash View Post
    - Tales of / the Abyss / Symphonia / Legendia
    I had it in my post. but then I noticed OP had it in his post so i took it out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    I had it in my post. but then I noticed OP had it in his post so i took it out.
    not the same game check the videos

Quote Originally Posted by Newbryn View Post
    not the same game check the videos
    aw, thought it just might be different translations or something mb

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    aw, thought it just might be different translations or something mb
    its cool happens with most games when legend of dragoon was release I thought it was a sequel to legend of legaia lol.

I guess by Xenogears series you mean Xeno- series...so that's Xenosaga covered too. Let's what good ones do I remember... how about Odin Sphere for PS2, Disgaea is also a must too (although been mentioend already).
    Because ten billion
    years' time is so fragile
    so ephemeral…
    it arouses such a
    bittersweet,
    almost heartbreaking fondness.

Deleted
    Ah yeah, my bad, Xenosaga was supposed to be included there as well. Thanks for pointing it out.
    Last edited by mmocfb52ef2acf; 2012-01-25 at 10:06 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Dark cloud oh mah gawd do it nao.

Radiata stories

.hack

Grim grimoire

Tales of symphonia japan only but it has an english patch you can download.

Ar toneligco

Hyperdimension neptunia, 2 comes out next month

Ys

Atelier

Nier
    Last edited by Video Games; 2012-01-25 at 11:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Xenosaga, Star Ocean series, Phantasy star
    Survival is Key