Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    3) it's not even that hard. just put an index on the name field. it's litterally 2 lines of code.
    Exactly. The design is not bad but the implementation is horrible. I assumed they're using professionals.

Thanks for elaborating, I'm crap at explanations.
    “There is no right or wrong, only consequences.”
    -------------------------------------------------

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    at this point I kinda HOPE it's just "unfinished"... as is, it's overly difficult to manipulate...
    22 miles of hard road
    33 years of tough luck
    44 skulls buried in the ground
    Crawling down through the muck
    Ah yeah...

My hope is that they put in this version of the GTN for launch because it's forced targeted searches would mean less use of server resources. Then later they'll change the GTN interface. Hopefully.

I miss the option they had in beta to post everything of the same type for the same price at once, ie I have 20 Might Hilt 3s I wanna sell, and I just pop one in, set the price, and set how many I wanted to post and be done with it.
    "And if it ends with both of us dying in an explosion taking out a Reaper - remember, I took the killshot." ~ Garrus Vakarian

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    It's not perfect, that's what you are saying. It's OK though. You are just spoiled by AH ADDONS from WoW (WoW standard UI AH doesn't have all the features you want either).
    I've never used AH addons for WoW. Their system was OK, this one is just horrible, but with enough persistence you can find what you need. Overall, compared to the rest of this game, this is terribly minor and will no doubt be improved in time.
    "I'll tell you something, my Tenchi, you know the carnival comes and goes. But if you wait for a while, it'll always come back to you, Tenchi."~Ryoko TENCHIxRYOKO FTW!

"The crystal is the heart of the blade. The heart is the crystal of the Jedi. The Jedi is the crystal of the Force.
    The Force is the blade of the heart. All are intertwined. The crystal, the blade, the Jedi. You are one.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think they assumed the GTN was fine as is, but didn't realize how people use auction houses.

Plus they make companion gear really hard to figure out. Because technically a companion can wear anything, but sorting for the companion only shows gear with "requires <name>"
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

I don't know why it's so hard to just let us search for something by its name.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

I agree that the GTN is really lacking in features.

Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    There's a description on it that says what profession it belongs to. Like "Grade 6 Scavenged Metal".
    Well if I already had it in my bags, the chance I'd need more would be low. If I'm looking to buy something, it usually means I don't have any of it.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    GTN is horrid; maybe my biggest issue with the game. I needs a lot of refinement and the ability to "data mine" much better.

Quote Originally Posted by gerdts View Post
    prototype and custom actually does this.
    You are miss informed
    He's not, quality of an orange item is given by the mods (probably barrrel/hilt/armoring). Only way to see all orange items is to search for white+ and browse the list page by page.

Virtually everything in this game feels a bit unfinished. Functional enough for launch, but definitely needing some work.

Good thing is that it's a premium MMO, so polish is expected to come at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Lythria View Post
    I guess my car would still get me from point A to point B without AC, Doors, Radio, and Seats but they sure are nice to have.

Also none of the things I listed are related to WoW addons. You could always sort AH by armor slot and post items by price per item if u had a stack. WoW AH addons only let you auto undercut people or mass cancel auctions that had been undercut.
    A lot of things you mentioned there weren't in WoW for a LONG time either (most of the stuff you're talking about came sometime around WotLK I think) and some don't exist as they're TOR specific, like the material grade, TOR has markings for it, WoW doesn't, I imagine that's what ag666 meant by add on stuff. Oh, as for orange items, I'm 99.99% sure orange=blue when searching on the GTN because orange items are blue, they're just orange in your inventory to indicate they can be modded (you can see this when looting in flashpoints).

Anyway yeah, it's not perfect, but frankly, it works for 99% things just fine and I got used to it enough now that there's only a few things that bother me:
    1) When putting up an item, deleting the sell price will leave a 1 at the end. It's a pita to hit Delete every time I type out the sell value.
    2) Can't search items by name alone, have to select category first and if I want to refresh the search, I have to search again, then filter by name once more
    3) If putting the same thing/stacks of the same thing, it doesn't remember the price. Slightly annoying having to type in the same price every time if I'm putting 10 stacks of something

And even those are mildly irritating at best. It's perfectly functional, but yes, like the rest of the UI, it needs some work and polish.

Out of the many unfinished things in the game, this was by far the most obvious and the one that you'd think would be easiest to implement.

there was a beta build that had a better version of the GTN that allowed you to search items and post stuff faster problem was something in it was bugged and it would:
    1. Return way to many credits if an item sold
    2. Take all your credits upon posting an item as the fee
    3. would post more then what you put up
    and there was some other stuff the design was really wel done but it didnt function right so what you have now is a funcition bare bones AH that is under the "good enough" for launch. Was either that or no GTN and something is better then nothing ....i'm sure it'll be fixxed in the future.

The fact that I can't even search for item by name pretty much kills it.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    There seems like there is alot of "issues" or "features" when it comes to the GTN. Such as the way searching and sorting happens, which have already been pointed out.

What I'm in general missing is just a browsing feature to see what is on, also you might not know in exactlly which category all items are which makes finding them really annoying.

I have to do all the selections before I can search, yet the search/selection box is above the search button button. Also if you add an item to the GTN (post an item) you have to redo the search for it to pop in there. That way it appears like the GTN is just one shitty ui for some very limited sql query.

The "usable by" options never seems to work if I put something in there (myself or one of my companions).

There is a option for vehicles, but all craftable vehicles so far /cybertech/ are bound on craft, anyone found any boe vehicles -- i have not. So that option is going to be empty for a long time.

The 50 items thing is quite annoying.

Atleast if you hoover over the price you can see that it calculates price/item.
    Also I kinda like it that they don't charge a fee if the item doesn't sell, so posting stuff is risk free.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    These are not the items you are looking for.

Hopefully they rebuild it and get rid of the horrible one at the moment. I would rather vendor my stuff than sell it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamite View Post
    lol too true, i really dont think it was on their priority list with the push to get it released, anyhow doesnt bother me too much, im not an AH / GTN whore
    The thing that confuses me, is that the current GTN isn't even a simple but solid foundation, lacking in features that can be easily patched in.
    It's completely ass-backwards, every step down the decision tree in designing this they made the wrong one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Searching on the GTN really, really sucks. Selling, though, is pretty awesome. The fact that you're refunded your AH cut is just...T_T

I'm averaging 400k a day with my scavenging mats, slicing mission discoveries and armormech items.