Poll: Should there be restrictions on where one can smoke?

Page 1 of 41
... LastLast

Should smoking be more/less regulated?

I was wondering where most of the forum around here stood on the issue of smoking (tobacco) in public. Will post my point of view later. Includes poll, but please post why.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it was up to me i would ban smoking all togheter.

Deleted
    Yep, it's unhealthy for you and your sorroundings. I seriously hate when someone start smoking at the bus stop...

10+ Year Old Account
    Make tobacco illegal and black market companies would just profit off it like they do with marijuana which sort of contradicts the drug war, regulate it more would be the best answer.

If it's away from other people (at least away from non-smokers) then it's fine, breathe your nasty second hand carcinogens around me and I won't be happy.

Poll up, sorry, took me a few minutes to get the answers worded properly.

Feel free to harm your own body, but keep it away from me.

Deleted
    Don't ban it, the tax pays for my healthcare!

(I don't and haven't ever smoked btw)

---------- Post added 2012-01-26 at 04:24 PM ----------

And those poll options are WEIRD

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't make it illegal, but I'd certainly be in favor of treating it with a heavier hand. As someone who's been to harbors around the country and see the sheets of cigarette butts(among other trash) that build up in them it's simply disgusting. Keep it in your home, your car, or some other private or dedicated smoking area.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you hit the train tracks you've gone to far.
    Most if not almost all places have designated smoking areas where if you're going to smoke do it there. Outside of businesses and restaurants there's really no reason to "regulate" it.

10+ Year Old Account
    In California they are trying to pass a new tax that will add a $5 cigarette tax, which will make it $10+ per pack, hows that for stopping people from smoking.

Deleted
    I've smoked since around 17, Although i'm growing tired of it, I really don't see a problem with someone smoking outside.

I plan on cutting down to one or two a day eventually, that would be ideal.

no

noone has the right to tell anyone what to put in their own body.
    "i dont want to smell it"
    that is not a reason to take away someones right to destroy themselves.
    i dont like when neighbors play country music ...maybe we should get that banned b/c i have to listen to it?
    i dont like when im waiting at the bus and some smelly person shows up wearing Patchouli ...makes me sick to smell it.
    thats their right .i dont have a right to tell ppl what to smell like.
    qq 2nd hand smoke...if you are worried so much by 2nd hand smoke...stop driving that car/truck/motorcycle then b/c it spits out way more harm than the person smoking a cig next to you at the bus stop.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the idea of it not being allowed indoors but have no problem with it being allowed in public and definitely do not think it should be outlawed. I mean how the hell are we going to get marijuana legalized if we make tobacco illegal.... Plus, I like to dip when I'm fishing and I'm sure smokeless tobacco would take it in the pooper if they came down hard on cigarettes.

Weird poll options.

I think that smoking should be less regulated. Private business owners should absolutely be permitted to allow smoking in their establishments. I wouldn't vote in favor of a measure to ban smoking in public, either; primarily because I don't believe that "second hand" smoke is the big deal it's made out to be.

I don't think that smokers should be permitted to smoke "anywhere," though. For example: not in my home, not in any business that bans smoking, etc.

Can't just ban or regulate it. It would damage the economy a good amount still.
    Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skatblast View Post
    Fake and Gay
    They never said it was real and heterosexual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Smoking should be strongly restricted. And cigarettes prices should be raised by 200%.

Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    I was wondering where most of the forum around here stood on the issue of smoking (tobacco) in public. Will post my point of view later. Includes poll, but please post why.
    Doesn't bother me any. If someone wants to walk down the street smoking, so be it. I do think they should be considerate - if you are at a bus stop waiting for the bus, and there are 10 people plus you in attendance, and you want to smoke, walk your happy ass about 10-20 feet away from them at least. Don't sit there on the bench forcing them all to smell your habit.

It's hard to be a considerate smoker. I know, because I am. I understand that some people still don't like it even though I try to be considerate, but those people can really kiss my ass. I'm sure if I wanted to I could find at least 5 things with them that I absolutely abhor, so they can deal with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glassblown View Post
    noone has the right to tell anyone what to put in their own body.
    "i dont want to smell it"
    that is not a reason to take away someones right to destroy themselves.
    If a harmful substance that you are putting in yourself is affecting others...

i dont like when neighbors play country music ...maybe we should get that banned b/c i have to listen to it?
    There are already public disturbance laws. Get annoyed by their loud music day in and day out? You CAN call the cops.

i dont like when im waiting at the bus and some smelly person shows up wearing Patchouli ...makes me sick to smell it.
    The Bus company in this situation is the one who can say "no you stink, gtfo."
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by MKing View Post
    In California they are trying to pass a new tax that will add a $5 cigarette tax, which will make it $10+ per pack, hows that for stopping people from smoking.
    That's about £6.30? I'm fairly sure thats still cheaper than they are in the UK. :O