Poll: Should there be restrictions on where one can smoke?

Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Seriously? why does it bother you if someone is smoking, and not forcing you to smoke? if someone's smoking under a busstop, you can alway ask for them to go away. smoking is already banned inside bars in most countries, but if they'd ever limit it to ''you're only allowed to smoke in a property you own yourself'' i'd treat it as a violation to my freedom.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reluctant View Post
    If it was up to me i would ban smoking all together.
    Same here! But we all know that isn't going to happen anytime soon, there's too much money in it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by glassblown View Post
    noone has the right to tell anyone what to put in their own body.
    "i dont want to smell it"
    that is not a reason to take away someones right to destroy themselves.
    i dont like when neighbors play country music ...maybe we should get that banned b/c i have to listen to it?
    i dont like when im waiting at the bus and some smelly person shows up wearing Patchouli ...makes me sick to smell it.
    thats their right .i dont have a right to tell ppl what to smell like.
    qq 2nd hand smoke...if you are worried so much by 2nd hand smoke...stop driving that car/truck/motorcycle then b/c it spits out way more harm than the person smoking a cig next to you at the bus stop.
    Unfortunately, the major flaw in this argument is country music and making you feel sick isn't a potentially fatal side effect.

As for pollution, it's a TOTALLY different form of air pollution to cigarettes, I am not saying it's worse or better, but the two just cannot equate.

I wouldnt ban it because thats a bit too far, people should be able to choose what to do with their own body. I would pretty much restrict it to smoking in their own homes or at least in non crowded areas though. Second hand smoke is just as dangerous if not more so than normal smoking, so its not fair to subject everyone around you to that.

Does the words Free Country not mean anything anymore? Who the hell do you think you guys are to tell people where they can smoke?

I do smoke and if I know I'm bugging someone with it, I'll light another. If you have a problem with someone smoking, you can walk 10 ft away.

In doors, I agree. Especially restaurants. But when outside places ban smoking, it's bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    The Bus company in this situation is the one who can say "no you stink, gtfo."
    Same with the smoker, really. No need to pass laws about it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhoodexe View Post
    Yep, it's unhealthy for you and your sorroundings. I seriously hate when someone start smoking at the bus stop...
    Then go stand 2ft further from that person.
    There is stuff out there doing way more harm then cigarettes, not really a big deal. I care more about pollution, whale hunting, 1000 other more important things, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glassblown View Post
    noone has the right to tell anyone what to put in their own body.
    "i dont want to smell it"
    that is not a reason to take away someones right to destroy themselves.
    i dont like when neighbors play country music ...maybe we should get that banned b/c i have to listen to it?
    i dont like when im waiting at the bus and some smelly person shows up wearing Patchouli ...makes me sick to smell it.
    thats their right .i dont have a right to tell ppl what to smell like.
    qq 2nd hand smoke...if you are worried so much by 2nd hand smoke...stop driving that car/truck/motorcycle then b/c it spits out way more harm than the person smoking a cig next to you at the bus stop.
    The difference is that country music doesn't give you lung cancer.

I'm all for peoples' right to destroy their own bodies by inhaling tar, but I think I have a right to avoid that same destruction if I want, and if people are allowed to smoke around me I can't always do that.
    Thank you dubbelbasse for the excellent sig!

2 days ago: after running at the gym i walked outside and a cloud of smoke entered my lungs. i almost said something to the guy as i stared him down. oh i was pissed.

As an ex-smoker I would like to see the regulation stay about the same, but I think some businesses (bars/clubs) should be allowed to become a smoking establishment. Here in Ohio it is banned from all indoors public places, I think it should be up to the establishment to allow its patrons to smoke if they so choose to.
    cokloc's videos: on WeGame.com on YouTube.com

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Saykred View Post
    Does the words Free Country not mean anything anymore? Who the hell do you think you guys are to tell people where they can smoke?

I do smoke and if I know I'm bugging someone with it, I'll light another. If you have a problem with someone smoking, you can walk 10 ft away.

In doors, I agree. Especially restaurants. But when outside places ban smoking, it's bullshit.
    This is a monumentally selfish viewpoint. Congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantumall View Post
    The difference is that country music doesn't give you lung cancer.

I'm all for peoples' right to destroy their own bodies by inhaling tar, but I think I have a right to avoid that same destruction if I want, and if people are allowed to smoke around me I can't always do that.
    You're not going to get lung cancer from being around smokers at a bus stop.

The bus exhaust is more dangerous.
    Last edited by Pert; 2012-01-26 at 04:37 PM.

ones are free to smoke as long as they do it in open-air not closed places. Baning smoking is plain stupid.

ps: I don't smoke.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pert View Post
    lol. You can get lung cancer from A LOT of things, including passive smoke, regardless of situation.

What I don't understand is why people are so damn "Ban Happy" now-a-days! ' I don't like this [Insert Offensive Activity/Item Here] so I am going start a petition to ban it! The thought doesn't cross these ppls minds to just stay away from what they find as offensive, no need to place restrictions on other solely because you don't like it! It is ignorant to me! People seem to be offended by everything anymore!

I'll just end it w/ this video!

You should include a poll option that say, "No, but smokers should be considerate when smoking around or near non-smokers."

Smoking shouldn't be regulated in this fashion at all.

Your missing an option in the poll. Businesses should be allowed to regulate themselves weather or not people are allowed to smoke on there property. I imagine this would mostly be bars and the like although not every bar needs to allow smoking. This way everybody wins. The non-smokers can't complain for volunteering to go somewhere they know smoking is allowed; and smokers can't complain for not being able to smoke in places that you obviously shouldn't be allowed to.

Deleted
    According to some people you will, they also seem to be the ones who are all able to get asthma attacks from a smoker standing ten feet away from them with the wind blowing the smoke away from them yet they're able to handle standing on the sidewalk next to a busy street without the pollution doing anything to them... :P

Quote Originally Posted by Saykred View Post
    I agree! When I'm carrying around my bag of Uranium, people have no damn right to tell me to move away from them. FRRREEEEEEDOOOOOOOM is more important than their 'not wanting cancer' bullshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Same with the smoker, really. No need to pass laws about it.
    There's already laws about it, that's why the bus company CAN do it. The laws say the private company has power over their property, which means their busses. But we already knew private businesses had this sort of power, does the public have it too?

The question here is really: does the public have the same control over public spaces? If they do, then they can pass laws saying where you can or cannot smoke, if they don't, they can't. I'm of the opinion they do.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.