Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Alternative to rotations is priority systems or procbased specs isn't it? Else everything would have to do the same damage and there would be no point in using more than 1 attack?

well warrior is nice to watch too ^^

---------- Post added 2012-02-01 at 03:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by parlaa View Post
    Alternative to rotations is priority systems or procbased specs isn't it? Else everything would have to do the same damage and there would be no point in using more than 1 attack?
    rather situation-based. You can still combo your attacks but you have to consider enemy behaviour rather than max. damage. WoW had this to a certain degree in PvP, but not in PvE as far as I can remember. In GW2 most skills have longer cooldowns and you have to use them wisely in order to play optimal.
    Last edited by Maarius; 2012-02-01 at 02:53 PM.

you guys get me so pumped up about this game!!!

just hope they don't go to far away from the old 8 skill slots style of GW1

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWCraftProject View Post
    just hope they don't go to far away from the old 8 skill slots style of GW1
    10 skills, 5 weapon 5 utility/heal
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

i am really worried about the emoteing of attacks and the timming of chaining new attacks as well as the opponent dodgeing .or just moving...in aion in air meele combat..you would fly over to your target..hit a skill...emote an attack..by then the guy flew away, cause u stopped to emote....then it would say....out of range or something.. a templar friend of mine same lv and i spent 2 hrs or so flying around tring to kill each other...it was impossible...idk if they ever fixed it or not..but the idea of some crappy emote graphics getting in the way of me interupting an attack or useing 2 skills in a row fast enoguh..seems really stupid

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by reverend moonie View Post
    i am really worried about the emoteing of attacks and the timming of chaining new attacks as well as the opponent dodgeing .or just moving...in aion in air meele combat..you would fly over to your target..hit a skill...emote an attack..by then the guy flew away, cause u stopped to emote....then it would say....out of range or something.. a templar friend of mine same lv and i spent 2 hrs or so flying around tring to kill each other...it was impossible...idk if they ever fixed it or not..but the idea of some crappy emote graphics getting in the way of me interupting an attack or useing 2 skills in a row fast enoguh..seems really stupid
    http://www.arena.net/blog/guild-wars...lopment-update

One of the elements that makes Guild Wars 2 combat feel different from other games is that many skills have their own unique animations, and the skill functionality is often based on the animations themselves. With a robust animation-blending system, we are able to easily transition between skills. In our previous demos, this was shown through chain skills, such as the warrior sword combo in the first skill slot: Sever Artery leads to Gash, which flows into Final Thrust. We realized that this system did not need to be reserved just for chain skills but could apply to the entire game. There were skills such as Savage Leap, which moved the player into range of their target, and big control attacks like Shield Bash, that you wanted to be able to quickly follow with another skill. The problem was that the animations for these skills had follow-through that was preventing players from using another skill until the animations were finished. You could stun or chase someone, but it was hard to capitalize on it.

Our programmers added technology to our skill data to allow us to specify a point in an animation at which the player could start moving again. This made skills like Savage Leap not only more functional but tremendously fun to use. This technology came in right before gamescom, so we were able to showcase it with a few important skills in that demo. Now that the technology has evolved, not only does it allow players to specify when they can start movement but it also allows us to transition into queued skills so that we can improve responsiveness. We went through every skill in the game and set up these animation breakout timings and the results were fantastic, but we didn’t stop there. I know many people have also noticed the more polished nature of the animations in the G-Star demo. Since we were able to go back and polish it, we also took a look at the impact of the new blending changes and made some timing changes to existing skills in order to give them more-appropriate anticipation, swing time, and follow-through to match the smoother feel that we were achieving with the blending. This really shines with things like big hammer swings, which now have slow buildups, quick attacks, and somewhat lengthy follow-through, depending on the skill. Ultimately, it creates a much more visceral and immediate system, which helps us straddle the line between action game and RPG.

Quote Originally Posted by Jit View Post
    any point to this post other then being a useless troll?
    Just ignore. If it's egregious, report. Otherwise, others are allowed to say something looks bad. /ignore = life is fine.

couldnt link..but the post about emotes

this is what worries me...they had to do alot of fine tuneing for each skill..how this will all work when the game goes live
    and they have 10 diff people with 10 diff amounts of lag..wondering if ther tring to acomplish magic or if it will really work.

Quote Originally Posted by reverend moonie View Post
    couldnt link..but the post about emotes

this is what worries me...they had to do alot of fine tuneing for each skill..how this will all work when the game goes live
    and they have 10 diff people with 10 diff amounts of lag..wondering if ther tring to acomplish magic or if it will really work.
    ANet created an online infrastructure that is STILL unrivaled in the gaming space for GW1, they're moving it over to GW2. They originally had a VERY revolutionary combat system that changed what each of your abilities did based on your character movement, but scrapped it because the tech wasn't possible at the time. So they made the combat system we have now. Do you honestly think they would spend nearly 5 years with a combat system that is laggy? All footage that we've seen has been running from the Alpha game servers, you see them playing from Europe or Korea and they're connecting to the servers back in Seattle with no latency issues as far as we can see.

Quote Originally Posted by omlech View Post
    ANet created an online infrastructure that is STILL unrivaled in the gaming space for GW1, they're moving it over to GW2. They originally had a VERY revolutionary combat system that changed what each of your abilities did based on your character movement, but scrapped it because the tech wasn't possible at the time. So they made the combat system we have now. Do you honestly think they would spend nearly 5 years with a combat system that is laggy? All footage that we've seen has been running from the Alpha game servers, you see them playing from Europe or Korea and they're connecting to the servers back in Seattle with no latency issues as far as we can see.
    i didnt realize they were running the demos off the servers in seattle while in korea...well if thats the case it seems like its working so far...guess well have to wait and see if ther are problems with individual skills...i love the idea dont get me wrong , it working perfectly just seemed like too much to hope for after seeing how bad it failed in other games...i can just imagine leaping to wher some one just was every time ,,,then swinging at empty air..

10+ Year Old Account
    [QUOTE=Maarius;15305390]well warrior is nice to watch too ^^

[COLOR=red]

---------- Post added 2012-02-01 at 03:53 PM ----------

One of my favorite GW2 vids!

I do have one question though. Whenever he uses a move that's casting/channeled, can he still use them while moving or does he have to stand still? I've seen a few moves where it seems like it was interrupted and some that weren't, would just like some clarification on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Supajayare View Post
    I do have one question though. Whenever he uses a move that's casting/channeled, can he still use them while moving or does he have to stand still? I've seen a few moves where it seems like it was interrupted and some that weren't, would just like some clarification on this.
    well there are a lot of spells that can be cast while moving. But there are still some spells that need you to stand still. Some of the skills where you needed to stand still got reworked in order to work on the move... guess we have to wait for the final version.
    I think it is a bit clarified here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jff4Wk5wZfE

not sure when, I'm looking...
    Last edited by Maarius; 2012-02-11 at 04:32 PM.

Awesome post Maarius, thanks ! I already knew all of that, but 2 unseen videos + an educated standpoint like yours was real brain candy. Thanks.
    GW2 Hype level +10. (already capped anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    well warrior is nice to watch too ^^

One of my favorite GW2 vids!
    Thanks for that link, 'Luffy' .

That was an amazing video.

Makes me want to roll a Warrior, sigh. (in a good way, lol)

10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing I don't like about the combat in GW2 is how there will be a massive amount of those "herpderp stand in one spot and attempt rotation" players who then say the game sucks...

Quote Originally Posted by Scrabblet View Post
    The only thing I don't like about the combat in GW2 is how there will be a massive amount of those "herpderp stand in one spot and attempt rotation" players who then say the game sucks...
    I plan to stay as far away from the forums as possible for the first month when the game comes out. Hopefully things will calm down by then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neglesh View Post
    Thanks for that link, 'Luffy' .

That was an amazing video.

Makes me want to roll a Warrior, sigh. (in a good way, lol)
    hah! np

Yea it was an awesome video, add Warrior to my long list of 1st profession to play now; which makes it ranger, thief, guardian, elem, warrior
    And thanks for the link Marrius

a lot of people see the 10slot skillbar and think they won't have a lot of variety in GW2. Guildwars Insider made a nice video which clarifies this one, take a look:

I don't agree with all of his statements, but it's ok to watch nontheless. It seems that the speaker has never heard of professions that do have more than 15 skills (e.g. elementalist, engineer, ranger, skill-chains, etc. etc.). And the trait-part, I'm confident that they will design it better than he described it here.
    Last edited by Maarius; 2012-02-13 at 09:10 AM.

GW2 looks like it has combined some cool elements from MOBA games, with some elements from asian games, like dodging. The skills will be much more situational like in LOL than a spamfest like in Rift or WOW due to the longish cooldowns on powerful skills. Weapon mixing and swapping is going to add a needed layer of complexity to gameplay. Without the weapon swapping the game just wouldn't have the layer it needs to be interesting. No healing class... going to make for a much better playstyle. I really like where this game is going. I have faith Anet will bring it all together.

The look, kind of hard to explain why, seems to be a cross between Warhammer and Aion, which to me is a nice mix. So I agree with the earlier Asian comment.