Poll: Your Thoughts On Cut-Scene Conversations

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Cut-Scene Conversations

So I got the game last week and already have over 1 day of time played. When I first started, I thought you myself, "Wow, all of these cut scene conversations (recieving/completing quests ect) are going to get old pretty fast". However, I have found that these help get me into the story more and make leveling more fun/less repetitive. My IRL friend (got the game before me) said that he went through the same train of thought.

What is your opinion? Do you like the amount of cutscene conversations and their effect? Or do you think Bioware over-did it?

I'll try to post a poll if I can figure it out : ]

Same, thought they would bore me after a while, but they didn't. It was extremely well done and I love the group conversations.

Be warned though, you are not allowed to post nice things on these forums about swtor because wow fanbois get upset.

Quote Originally Posted by Trix View Post
    Be warned though, you are not allowed to post nice things on these forums about swtor because wow fanbois get upset.
    By even mentioning it, you exacerbate the issue. Just put trust in the moderators. I hope people can be civilized.

Deleted
    I watched the voice-overs most of the time, but think Bioware went a little overboard with it overall.

There are two major issues with the VOs as I see it:

1. VOs in repeat missions, flashpoints etc can get extremely repetitive after a while. I don't understand why daily quests need context or introductions when you're meant to be doing them over an over. I can understand it for flashpoints, but do wish they'd get to the point a little quicker.

2. Pacing
    Anther problem with VO is the way they are paced in game. Normally you'll go to a quest-hub, pick up 4-7 quests which can take up to 10 minutes if you watch all the dialogue, then do all the quests which may take you and hour or less, before returning for another 5 minutes of VO.

My point is we're exposed to too much VOs at a time, while going through extended periods with very little. Had Bioware somehow managed to pace it all out a little better, I might have been more appreciative of the feature.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think there's a pretty good amount, some of them can be long winded for no reason, and I have no problem skipping the side ones in the future on replays with other toons.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

i started skipping non class quest ones in the 40s. and i skip everything on alts

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    1. VOs in repeat missions, flashpoints etc can get extremely repetitive after a while. I don't understand why daily quests need context or introductions when you're meant to be doing them over an over. I can understand it for flashpoints, but do wish they'd get to the point a little quicker.
    Other than esseles/black talon, are there flashpoints with much conversations at all? Farthest I've gone is Maelstrom prison though so I haven't done a whole lot. In fact, I was rather disappointed in the fact that the flashpoints other than the first one was pretty devoid of any cutscene/conversation story stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Other than esseles/black talon, are there flashpoints with much conversations at all? Farthest I've gone is Maelstrom prison though so I haven't done a whole lot. In fact, I was rather disappointed in the fact that the flashpoints other than the first one was pretty devoid of any cutscene/conversation story stuff.
    They said a lot of them have a lot more story options than straight forward dungeons, but that they should have paced them better and done it every other. They tried going for both fans: fans of the story and voice overs, and the fans that want more rpg elements (choose your own path type stuff) but less story elements.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the amount, when I come back from questing it's nice to have a few minutes to kind of sit back and have some conversation with the NPCs. By the time I'm done talking to the people in the camps I'm ready to go a-killing again.

Quote Originally Posted by tslaughter View Post
    By even mentioning it, you exacerbate the issue. Just put trust in the moderators. I hope people can be civilized.

We hope so too! xD

---------- Post added 2012-01-27 at 02:55 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Most past that will have a fairly even amount of dialogue and such, BT and Ess are still the strongest when it comes to conversation but ones like Directive 7 have enough to make you feel involved in the story past "kill the droid". The last boss fight is incredibly fun too.
    “The rains have ceased, and we have been graced with another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it.”

10+ Year Old Account
    The voice overs are fine, I just think they made to many quests in general. Each planet could probably stand to lose a dozen or so quests. I haven't cleaned out an entire planet yet. Needs a little bit of trimming I think.

---------- Post added 2012-01-27 at 03:15 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarocket View Post
    I like the amount, when I come back from questing it's nice to have a few minutes to kind of sit back and have some conversation with the NPCs. By the time I'm done talking to the people in the camps I'm ready to go a-killing again.

We hope so too! xD

---------- Post added 2012-01-27 at 02:55 AM ----------

Most past that will have a fairly even amount of dialogue and such, BT and Ess are still the strongest when it comes to conversation but ones like Directive 7 have enough to make you feel involved in the story past "kill the droid". The last boss fight is incredibly fun too.
    Foundry had some good stuff conversation wise I thought. Honestly Boarding Party/Foundry has been the best flashpoint/dungeon/whatever you wanna call it experience I've had in these games ever. Fuck that was so good.

Quote Originally Posted by asharia View Post
    i started skipping non class quest ones in the 40s. and i skip everything on alts

I only sign on every couple of days (college and work take up most of my schedule), so its nice to kind of get-away with a more RP based game. I can see how going through it a second/third time on an alt could get kind of annoying

They're fine - if you weren't aware of it, pressing SPACEBAR skips them.

Personally, i feel that there's way too much voice dialogue.

I feel if they would have just done voice questing for main planet story arc and class quests, and left the smaller side missions without voice, it would have made those voice convos more meaningful and less time consuming/frustrating.

I feel its imn a good place, first time through I listened to every word and loved every minute of it, 2nd time through the spacebar became my best friend aside from the different class quests and seeing different results of choosing light options vs dark. If you couldn't spacebar through it there would be way too much for replayability, but with the skipping option its in a good place.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Perfect amount for me, i enjoy most of them ,some i'm like "WTF" what is he going on about. some are really well done though.
    -The Empire,Will be the End of you all-

Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    The voice overs are fine, I just think they made to many quests in general. Each planet could probably stand to lose a dozen or so quests. I haven't cleaned out an entire planet yet. Needs a little bit of trimming I think.
    Couldn't disagree more. Lack of quests leads to just grinding mobs, which is NOT fun, ever. The excess amount of quests allows you to skip what you don't want to do and actually have some choices in what your path will be (very helpful for alts).

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think they where fine the first time around. Then it was kinda amusing to see them all, now it turned into a space button slam fest. They do get a bit tedious on flashpoints (certainly black talon) and for the daily quests (yeeees ... ill assemble your box again ... stfu and give me the quest!). Certainly for the dailis you should just click them and get the damn quest, they are annoying as it is without having to watch that little sequence over and over again. Even if you space thru them you still watch glimpses of them etc that has to be loaded up. Perhaps there should just be a preference setting for skipping all that -- auto selecting your way thru them with some neutral setting that doesn't influence anything like dark or light points, companion influence and whatnot.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find they do an amazibng job of breaking up the gameplay so I am not always killing, killing, clicking, killing, followed by more clicking. I realy felt like I have returned to camp, made a difference, get repaired and rested up, then saddle up for the hunt again. All in all, very satisfying.
    "I'll tell you something, my Tenchi, you know the carnival comes and goes. But if you wait for a while, it'll always come back to you, Tenchi."~Ryoko TENCHIxRYOKO FTW!

"The crystal is the heart of the blade. The heart is the crystal of the Jedi. The Jedi is the crystal of the Force.
    The Force is the blade of the heart. All are intertwined. The crystal, the blade, the Jedi. You are one.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think that the amount is perfect. If they start to annoy me, I just spacebar through everything. When I get to an important story quest or end of a class quest, I'll often listen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tslaughter View Post
    However, I have found that these help get me into the story more and make leveling more fun/less repetitive.
    Still it is more repetitive than WoW's questing... took me 30 lvls and got bored with it. All the planets felt the same, listening the conversation and knowing the planet's story wasn't enough to feel the difference. Conversation kill kill kill conv pick up revard conv kill kill kill. The lack of quest mechanincs ruined it. 95% of the quest are kill this or that, they didn't even try to add something extra.

Quote Originally Posted by Adeodatus View Post
    I find they do an amazibng job of breaking up the gameplay so I am not always killing, killing, clicking, killing, followed by more clicking. I realy felt like I have returned to camp, made a difference, get repaired and rested up, then saddle up for the hunt again. All in all, very satisfying.
    Are you serious? 95% of the quest are kill this or that, while WoW has a wide variety of them
    Last edited by mmocbd16b602c3; 2012-01-27 at 02:47 PM.