Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Needs moar time-cube.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Soooo no one else thinks FFVII? Still interesting idea gonna hafta read more when i feel better.
    I thought of that at first, but then I realised that would be cool.

The world ain't cool.
    Garrosh did nothing wrong.
    #MakeTheHordeGreatAgain

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Soooo no one else thinks FFVII? Still interesting idea gonna hafta read more when i feel better.
    Beaten to the punch!

My response was going to be "This particular scientist has been playing too much Final Fantasy 7."

The news title is misleading. His not actually saying the Earth is alive per se, at least not in the everyday sense of the word. Also this theory is pretty bullshit. He's saying that we can model the Earth as being alive - if we redefine life to mean something as basic and not-alive like a gyre. And the only evidence he has seems to be that this incredibly simplistic theory that doesn't actually explain anything is so vague and broad enough that it doesn't outright contradict some scenarios he imagined.
    Last edited by semaphore; 2012-01-27 at 07:12 AM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    You need math to back it up buddy, there are lots of nice sounding ideas out there, the problem is none of them offer any proof.

Edit to add: It looks like a very interesting read though, I'll get back to you when I've had time to read through it all.
    Last edited by MLX; 2012-01-27 at 07:21 AM.
    Www.facebook.com/magelordx
    Feel free to add me if you wish

10+ Year Old Account
    just like all other posters who wants to comment on the substance on this theory, I'll read it first.

Consider this post placeholder.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Quote Originally Posted by Xami View Post
    What's the definition of life again?
    With current state of science, one has to have its own metabolism in order to be alive.

15+ Year Old Account
    Metaphorically I think your right.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    I can feel the elements...they're telling me...no wait, that's my stomach. This "theory" gives me indigestion.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    Neat.

Would like a "too much science; couldn't understand" version, though.
    Here's my take on it. I only skimmed the first 10 pages or so, and found it to be utter bull, so the accuracy of my interpretation is open for debate/ridicule.

One analogy to rule them all
    The universe likes balls. Planets are balls. Atoms are balls. Animals are (roughly) balls. Therefore it's completely valid to think of everything as balls. To make the analogy useful, the properties of planets/atoms/animals are translated to spins in different directions/speeds.
    The author goes on to state that it's beyond current science to do this accurately, thus making any attempt at validating it with math null and void.
    He then goes on to use mathematical-looking notation to make it seem all legit when he tries to explain how interactions between planets/atoms/animals can be viewed as a translation of spins between them.

I'm sure his analogy works in many ways, but it definitely feels that he's stretching it way too far.

"One of these, the natural law of unity, decrees that the living cell and any part of the visible universe are irreducible."

This quote caught my eye, as it is a hallmark of a certain other theory everyone here is certainly very familiar with(intelligent design). Does not appear that this guy has any ties to the discovery institute though after a quick search.

This thread just got cited on Pharyngula

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngu...is-inevitable/

Now you know I read both =D

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    Just cause he doesn't use math doesn't mean there Isn't a scientific understanding being made here, Newton didn't use math immediately when he discovered gravity.

Theories tend to exist without the know how, math usually comes afterward to support it.
    I'm sorry, but this displayed such a blatant misunderstanding of basic science that I had to make an account just to reply. First, you misunderstand the how the word theory is used in scientific discourse. A scientific theory explains and predicts something. That prediction is usually done with math, thus, Newton's theory of gravity: F = G*m1*m2/r. What I think you're referring to is the hypothesis.

And this "paper" amounts to even less than that. It's simply conjecture* with no base in observation or empirical evidence. It can't make any predictions, and it can't be proven through experiment. It is essentially a big "What if this is the way the universe works?". It is no more a scientific theory than me suggesting that the earth is really just an abstract representation of a metaphysical turtle swimming through a sea of space-time, ectoplasm, and quantum gyraxiums. The only difference is that I made up less words than this paper did.

Sorry, couldn't let this one slide.

*Special thanks to terrorsolda for the correction =)
    Last edited by Rune21; 2012-01-29 at 04:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramsesakama View Post
    This thread just got cited on Pharyngula

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngu...is-inevitable/

Now you know I read both =D
    He insulted us. WoW fans are MUCH more scientifically literate that the Discovery Institute.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

Quote Originally Posted by JonTargaryen View Post
    He insulted us. WoW fans are MUCH more scientifically literate that the Discovery Institute.
    Lol, perhaps

Quote Originally Posted by JonTargaryen View Post
    It is demeaning to even be mentioned in the same line as the Discovery Institute on matters of science. I demand he retract that insult!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snes View Post
    That's a bit misleading, as the title implies that the Earth is some kind of living, breathing being that reproduces etc. It's "alive" in a totally different context.
    Oh, but technically, it is breathing and reproducing. Only technically tho.

The earth is not only the planet, but all that lives on it. The planet gave birth to whatever kind of micro bio-organisms that then evolved onward and brought us life as we know it. Everything on earth is connected together. From the trees to the bees.

Take this movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqxEN...-button&wide=1 It's a good movie to watch. Plus it's free!

Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Oh, but technically, it is breathing and reproducing. Only technically tho.
    Actually it's not. Technically.

By definition the Earth does not breath or reproduce. You are either redefining the terms breathing and reproducing, or you don't know what "technically" means.

Quote Originally Posted by Rune21 View Post
    I'm sorry, but this displayed such a blatant misunderstanding of basic science that I had to make an account just to reply. First, you misunderstand the how the word theory is used in scientific discourse. A scientific theory explains and predicts something. That prediction is usually done with math, thus, Newton's theory of gravity: F = G*m1*m2/r. What you're referring to is the hypothesis.

And that's exactly what this "paper" boils down to. A hypothesis with no base in observation or empirical evidence. It can't make any predictions, and it can't be proven through experiment. It is essentially a big "What if this is the way the universe works?". It is no more a scientific theory than me suggesting that the earth is really just an abstract representation of a metaphysical turtle swimming through a sea of space-time, ectoplasm, quantum gyraxiums. The only difference is that I made up less words than this paper did.

Sorry, couldn't let this one slide.
    I'm sorry, but I couldn't let your incorrect use of hypothesis slide. A scientific hypothesis, in the context of the scientific method, must be testable. Yet, you state that this hypothesis cannot be proven through experiment. Thus, it is not testable. I believe you are looking for a word similar to conjecture, not hypothesis.

Deleted
    This is what PhD graduates do with their time now?

Christ I hate pseudoscience.

Honestly his "theory" is garbage, something I'd expect from a low budget documentary.