Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    It has it's moments, but ultimately the story is the only decent part of the game, the rest is pretty bland and parts of the game are unfinished or implemented poorly.

I've been quite impressed with a great deal of it, but I felt "obligated" to play for a while, and am currently not focusing on it (my husband wanted to level to cap ASAP but ... burn out? boo!).

I think it's worth a shot if you can try it out for free one way or another.

If you like story and "lore" stuff, you'll like it.

If you just want to kill things perhaps you'd best look elsewhere, because skipping the story sort of makes playing this game pointless (the story is what makes it different from pretty much everything else out there; the game is still in it's infancy and doesn't have some of the frills a lot of newer-to-MMO players are now taking for granted).

I've said it since a year before the game released, I'll say it again, and it can be applied to some of the upcoming MMOs as well:

PvP will/does ruin the game.

PvPers started playing SWTOR, for the wrong reasons, and IMHO they got exactly what they deserved. They were bored of roflstomping bad arena teams in WoW, their ratings got stale and so they went to a new game.

It's a BW game (story), with a lot of creative control from Lucas Arts (Star Wars) and published by EA (Give us your $). Therefore the game delivers.

People complaining about the PvP should really just move on, because honestly the PvP is fine for a SW game. I think they were looking for this game to stave off the boredom of Cata PvP and since it didn't deliver they are just ripping apart any and everything they can find that is an issue.

To get back on topic: I love the game. I certainly NEVER enjoyed levling ANY of my toons in WoW as much as in SWTOR. That being said there are some bugs and some glaring issues. BUT... they are releasing fixes and patches rather quickly, as well as content. Of course......... people complain there is too many patches being deployed and then they complain if something isn't fixed ASAP. I mostly blame Blizzard for catering to so many people too often, and then those same people moving to another game. You want the game fixed but you don't want any down time to fix anything, then move on.

As for OP: If you are wondering whether or not to get the game it just really depends on what you are looking for in an MMO. You are going to see both sides of the debate, but for the most part the naysayers and trolls are running rampant on the forums right now because their first 30 day sub already ran out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Komie View Post
    They still say Cata needs a lot of work, and this expansion (edit for reference: MoP) is in the final stages.
    Quoted for... truth? on 11/30/2011.

Deleted
    The game does not have any big problem that i found. Upto level 41 anyways. Sadly it does have a myriad of small problems that individually would not really bother me but combined made playing the game more frustrating than enjoyable.

PROs: Individual storylines, companions and companion quests, voiced dialogues, group conversations, art style.
    CONs: Unreasonably high system specs, poor quest design, unresponsive combat, overall lack of innovation.

Issues important to me personally: the game seems to try to appeal to the kind of players that I highly dislike - highly competitive, controlling, with exclusive attitude. This is my first impression of SWTOR community. The same people who say that "LFG destroys community", but think it's ok to punish players by destroying their online reputation. I don't really want to be a part of this kind of "community" in the first place, so I don't think I'll stay in this game for very long.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Had some good points. Has some bad. Has a lot of bugs.

IMO it's about 10x more buggy than Rift at launch, and 25x more buggy than Cata at launch. I know it's new, but it's pretty telling when the dev team can't even fix Ilum after like 5 attempts.

Overall, I'd give it ~6.5 out of 10. Highlights were the Smuggler story and flashpoint difficulty. Lowlights were questing on rails, the server I picked, and the fact I didn't really enjoy the 'lore'.

And one last thing about bugs. I'm not just talking the 'lolgreenlight' bug. What about how if you wipe on the last boss in Cad you have like a 50% chance to keep getting a fire debuff while running back, making the boss like one-shot the tank when you get back? Or how three times in the same night (with different groups, too!) we wiped on the boarding party boss in Mando Raiders. Of the 4 mini bosses we killed 1 each time before the wipe. Each time upon wiping, they reset and the one guy stayed dead.
    Not a finished game, imo. Some bugs i can live with. But the amount they had/have are laughable.

And i didnt even get into Ablity Lag....

toomanyrifts.blogspot.ca || A Gaming Blog

Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    Issues important to me personally: the game seems to try to appeal to the kind of players that I highly dislike - highly competitive, controlling, with exclusive attitude. This is my first impression of SWTOR community. The same people who say that "LFG destroys community", but think it's ok to punish players by destroying their online reputation. I don't really want to be a part of this kind of "community" in the first place, so I don't think I'll stay in this game for very long.
    People wont take you seriously after that opinion, especially if you ever log into another mmo again.
    Going to log into wow or mop when it arrives or even diablo 3?? of course you are, forum bullshit at its best.

Trying my best to like it and holding out for changes that will improve the game, but off-hand things I noticed within a few days of playing;
    > Lack of variation in playable races, reuse of cosmetics, face types, scars, hair. They are literally all the same meshes with some variation in face paint and facial appliances. We've heard their excuses but they should have designed it smarter. Not being able to play SIGNATURE races of Star Wars? Retarded decision. And from what they have said as their excuses, it looks like they could NEVER introduce those races even in the future.

> There's much to be said for one contiguous gaming experience but the game is a mess of long loading screens, isolated zones, clumsy travel. click-load to go from planet to space-dock, click-load to leave the hanger, click-load to enter another hanger, click-load to travel to another spaceport. In a few months, you won't even pass another 50 in some of these zones are they travel through (like WOW). These zones will be deserted.

> Lack of fluff and polish to the zones compared to WOW. Where in WOW you would find a beach with critters going about their life, a child running up and down taking and emoting, and a shipwreck on the rocks out to sea in SWTOR you get a featureless beach and pointless mass of water. There's no heart and soul to most of these areas. It's also something that you can't patch. It's a design outlook.

> Boring tilesets. Ord Mantell =Typhon = Alderaan. Nar Shadaa = Coruscant. You could say "show me a flat area, with a road crossing a stream and a tree" and you would get something that looks exactly the same in Ord Mantell, Typhon or Alderaan. Now imagine that in Elwynn, Westfall, Duskwood or Grizzly Hills. completely different character.

15+ Year Old Account
    I hate Ilum. Its insanely hard to do the daily quest.
    OVERREACHING EMPIRE?!
    yeah baby!

sometimes stupid bonus stage quests 1. Kill 20 droids. TADAAAM! 2. kill 40 droids travel to the other planet and do the same thing. ~le fu

And poor design of AH -_- they really should remake it

overall? I like it. 10/10 :P
    step into everything will gief ya nothing, mon

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenegade42 View Post

> Boring tilesets. Ord Mantell =Typhon = Alderaan. Nar Shadaa = Coruscant. You could say "show me a flat area, with a road crossing a stream and a tree" and you would get something that looks exactly the same in Ord Mantell, Typhon or Alderaan. Now imagine that in Elwynn, Westfall, Duskwood or Grizzly Hills. completely different character.
    Luckily you don't run from Tython right Aldreaan. In fact that comparison is pretty crap. Tython lacks snow for starters. Furthermore Grizzly Hills does not have a different character from Howling fjord. Westfall and Elweynn aren't that different. Neither are durotar/barrens. Nice try though.

Quote Originally Posted by Suggs View Post
    People wont take you seriously after that opinion, especially if you ever log into another mmo again.
    Going to log into wow or mop when it arrives or even diablo 3?? of course you are, forum bullshit at its best.
    I'm not saying that other MMOs don't have this problem, but it seems like TOR specifically caters to these kind of players. Maybe I'm just biased and the actual game community is better than the people who defend TOR on forums.

Deleted
    I remember watching the trailer and 45 minute gameplay vid of this game, I regret watching those. I just couldn't find anything real unique in one of those vids, so I didn't buy the game and I never will, that's my impression . if you like it just play it and don't let anyone else let you feel less about this game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    I'm not saying that other MMOs don't have this problem, but it seems like TOR specifically caters to these kind of players. Maybe I'm just biased and the actual game community is better than the people who defend TOR on forums.
    uhhh K. Let's table that general insult for a second. People on forums represent a fraction of the community. My experience with people in game has generally been pleasant even though I screw up on NUMEROUS occasions.

Amazing story telling, average endgame raiding, average to above average pvp, bad combat engine, bad graphics engine, bad UI, bad world design.

Just my opinion - I have 2 level 50's, level 35, a number of other toons ranging from 10-25.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    uhhh K. Let's table that general insult for a second. People on forums represent a fraction of the community. My experience with people in game has generally been pleasant even though I screw up on NUMEROUS occasions.
    Maybe I'm just biased after going through 29 pages of LFG flamefest. I actually had pretty decent experience with people, but surprisingly only on Rep side. On Empire side I was insulted for being a carebear before I even got to level 10.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellrae View Post
    Amazing story telling, average endgame raiding, average to above average pvp, bad combat engine, bad graphics engine, bad UI, bad world design.

Just my opinion - I have 2 level 50's, level 35, a number of other toons ranging from 10-25.
    Pretty much my opinion too, I reckon BW is being forced to make bad decisions by EA sacrificing quality to make bank.

I love the game.

What I would like to see on the PVP side of things are:
    Fixes to Ilum. I'd recommend either more boxes or require less boxes for the daily/weekly.
    More Huttball maps. Huttball is the best thing that any developer has ever done for PVP, in my opinion, of course.
    A large 8v8 Death match style Arena. Not like in WoW where you die and your out, but like on many shooters where you keep beating up on each other and the person with the highest amount of kills wins. Also, a version of this that is 8 players and free for all.

PvE, I have no complaints. Kaon Under Seige is the best PvE experience I've ever had.

I have to say I'm not playing much SWTOR right now, mostly because a friend got me interested in Medieval 2 again, and it has stolen my soul.

After seven years of WoW, I decided to try this game. (Did try Aion and Rift aswell, none of them got me hooked)

So I bought the game, downloaded it an made my Sith Inquisitor - and GOD DAMN! it's good to be a noob again, exploring, trying to find out how to play well with your character. No clue about where to go (Checking map and quest log 24/7)

After two days I'm a lvl 14 Sith Sorc, and I love it. Been PvPing from lvl 10, and I find it fun. And I realy like the thing that everyone got the same amount of HP and dmg in this huge bracket (10-49), not like in WoW where you join and get raped by those heirloom alts that one shot everything.

My tip; try it out. It's worth the money if you're looking for another MMO to waste you time in.

And I don't even like the SW movies (Seen 'em once a long time ago.. downloaded them again now, and saw like half a movie laughing my ass off, it just dont appael to me ^^)
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Well I was mostly interested in the PvP and didn't really enjoy it to much even though I got to valor 53. I also had performance issues with the game, maybe my PC just wasn't good enough to play it. I found the levelling experience quite good to start off but the voice acting started getting old pretty fast and in the end I didn't really give a crap about any of it other than the main class story quests. There was all sorts of other small problems and bits that I disliked that will probably improve over time, one of which was the ability today which just drained the feel of fluidity from the game. Overall I had some fun, not sure if it was $60 worth of fun but probably not to far off.. Wont be resubscribing.

Outdated WoW clone with good story and voice acting. But not that good that I'd keep subscribing. 7/10.