Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    FDA has stated formally that single frozen and raw fruits and vegetables are nutritionally
    comparable, “Therefore, the agency continues to believe that single ingredient frozen
    fruits and vegetables are nutritionally the same as raw fruits and vegetables” and
    “‘because single ingredient, frozen fruit or vegetable products are nutritionally
    comparable to raw versions, they would likely have the same inherent beneficial effect
    as the raw versions." (FK63, 14351 column II)
    http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dai...2/80047196.pdf p.2

Also: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2902223.stm

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

Ok, excellent. That's a great source, and good cite (rather than from Wiki - I know they have moderators, but iirc people can still post and update just about whatever they want - stop me if I'm wrong here).

So, in that cite, there is part of it that says: "single ingredient frozen fruits and vegetables" - and that's a key point. When the FDA (or other governing body) refers to single ingredient (item) they are referring to frozen foods that essentially were not processed at all, and have no chemical ingredients added to them. Essentially, they are flash frozen rather than "big giant factory processing tons of food a day with chemicals" - if that makes sense. And in that/this case, you are correct, those are very nutritious and have the same basic nutritious qualities as raw veggies from a farm.

They will also carry the label "organic" (for the most part) and are noticeably more expensive than your regular, generic brand frozen veggies. If that makes sense.

So the difference is that processed and chemically treated fruits/veggies/foods can last a LONG time outside their "natural" holding period. That same processing drains the food of most of it's nutritional qualities - the vitamins and nutrients - and leaves a husk of it's former self to be consumed. It also makes the food much cheaper, because it can be created and stored for a long period of time, negating the cost of losing food because of it going bad.

The problem is that people see this husk of food and think it's exactly the same as stuff that comes right from the farm, but it's not, and they end up deluding themselves (I don't mean you, D, I mean the US population) into thinking they are "eating nutritionally" when in fact, they are dumping huge amounts of chemicals into their system, along with extra sodium and sugar, which contribute directly to obesity (even sodium contributes greatly to obesity).
    Last edited by cubby; 2012-01-28 at 09:23 PM.

The European Union is the worlds biggest example of transnational government. It also doesn't work. And it took what... only 20 years for a German Official to suggest that the entire EU should have control over Greece's budget and taxation?

Did you know that India has the largest civil servant corps on planet Earth? To manage its 1 billion people, the State employs 30 million people that report to 5159 administrators. That's more than the population of most European countries.

One world government simply doesn't work. It isn't even desirable. bureaucracy's of hundreds of thousands are very difficult to reform. India's vast bureaucracy is its biggest obstacle to development. You honestly intend to take it global?

Today's model of the One Global Superpower and dozens of "confederated" allies that work through a multitude of international organizations is far more prefferible. It is all the benefit of global governance - like stability and standardizations - and none of the downsides (like we're seeing in the EU with its one currency, or broadly speaking making the problem of one random corner of Earth the problem of everyone else).

Deleted
    Processed fruits and vegetables were not consistently more or less expensive than fresh
    produce. Canned carrots (34 cents per edible cup equivalent) were more expensive than
    whole fresh carrots eaten raw (25 cents per edible cup equivalent). However, canned
    peaches (58 cents per edible cup equivalent) were less expensive than fresh (66 cents per
    edible cup equivalent).
    http://www.ers.usda.gov/Publications/EIB71/EIB71.pdf (2011, 2010 prices)

It wouldn't be too bad. They have kinda the same setup in star treck. But we would have to get rid of a few things first and develop new kinds of technology. The world right now in its current state would be unable to support a bureaucratic nightmare such as that. At most all it would be doing is saying that each individual country would just report to one more comity above them. But like we see with the UN culture differences between countries will render any approach null and void.

Now if we all shared the same culture, money, and morals across the planet then it would be a different story.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vehemence View Post
    Will never happen.
    it will happen.

source Futurama

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Interesting study. One big issue is precisely what an "edible cup equivalent" precisely is, and how it relates to sizes and prices. I read most of the study and it was unclear how they arrived at that number (I looked at the two studies referred to at the source, one is from 1976, although honestly, date doesn't really affect portion size relation).

I'm not criticizing the report, but one reference they use is this: http://www.ers.usda.gov/Data/FruitVe...vegetables.htm (found from http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=8964).

Which has very different prices than is related in the ERS one, which is interesting.

The studies I prefer, and frankly you would know better about statistical relevance than myself, are the ones that use a shopping list with ingredients for a weeks worth of meals.

You're going to shoot me for this, too, but the USDA is a little on the biased side when it comes to fresh/organic food vs the big business production. But I can't really just claim that without proof, and I don't have it right now.

This will happen before we colonize space, so most likely never or in 10000 years,

Equip Flameshield. We had a one world Government. They tried to build a tower to heaven. God smote them and confused the languages.

People are BAD. When we get together we do BAD things. The more of us together the worse the thing typically get.

Mod Warning: No religion, babelous or otherwise.
    Last edited by Maharishi; 2012-01-29 at 08:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    IVE BROUGHT PEACE TO MY NEW EMPIRE! *cough*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Lol, Ralph's.
    Yea dude, owned by Kroger, the biggest retail grocery conglomerate in the United States.

It works in One Piece why not RL?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spellsword View Post
    It works in One Piece why not RL?
    It's not working in One Piece. Pirates and Revolutionaries...

Quote Originally Posted by steveyboy View Post
    Why are you so greedy? All men should be treated the same and all have the same.
    So you are a communist?
    Religion is like a penis.
    It's fine to have one.
    It's fine to be proud of it.
    But please, don't whip it out in public and wave it around,
    And please, don't try to shove it down my children's throats.

10+ Year Old Account
    A global economy functions, to some degree, as a global government. I see no real need for an overarching authority.

I prefer the idea of localities making laws that effect the locals, rather than broad one size fit all rules.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mukki View Post
    Yea dude, owned by Kroger, the biggest retail grocery conglomerate in the United States.
    Oh, I know Ralph's. It's awesome. You mentioning the "meat sales" just takes me back . . . .

I wasn't making fun of Ralph's, just in case it wasn't clear.
    Last edited by cubby; 2012-01-29 at 11:54 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is that sad that the first thing that came up in my head was Dragonball & Dragonball Z, with a dog being the king of the world? Please tell me I'm not the only one who thought of that when I saw this thread first.

Deleted
    Go read up on Great Britain from 1700-1900 about their super power status back then, being referred to as 'the empire where the sun never goes down' (seeing that they owned so many different places around the world, the sun would always shine on the British Empire, somewhere in the world).

It will never happen, unless one super power/mad man somehow manages to enslave the whole humanity and make the world leaders his personal puppies.

hell will freeze over before i let some of the crazies in southern europe and america and western europe and pretty much anyone outside the nordic countries run my country...

---------- Post added 2012-01-30 at 03:22 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Yeah, although I have been trying to keep the OP going as well, despite some people's inability to understand certain concepts about places they don't live.

I think Slanderize's post is dead on. No world government until we have a separate species to "fight".
    i have a sudden urge to say: ah yes, "Reapers" - but i wont...

dang it, i just did it!

Deleted
    People in power will in most cases abuse that power. With only one instance of power, and the majority being the abusers... It is -not- a good thing.