Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Can I call wow an FPS because I can scroll all the way into my hunters POV?

Trying to define games strictly based on the word for word acronyms is pedantic. You could literally make a case for every game to have multiple types, hell you could call MW3 games RPGs if you really wanted to because you can level and change out your gear and you play a role.

MMORPGs generally have similar traits that are self evident, for example a persistant world where all the player are a part of. D3 doesn't have this.

Deleted
    D3 is not an mmo. If it was, BF and Cod would be aswell, for example. An MMO is a game where lots of people interract together in one world, and diablo there is no support for lots of players playing together
    Last edited by mmocf128060ac7; 2012-02-08 at 06:30 PM.

A massively multiplayer online game (also called MMO and MMOG) is a multiplayer video game which is capable of supporting hundreds or thousands of players simultaneously.

-Wikipedia

So no, your friend is not "batshit crazy". He is just misinformed on the definition of what qualifies a game as a mmo. Simple as that.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thx guys im just going to give him the link to this thread to end the argument.

Deleted
    MAG is considered to be one of the smallest mmos on the market and that game have maps with max number of players ranging from 64 to 256 in one map.

So no Diablo is not an mmo.

mmos are about consistent worlds, there aint something like that in any diablo game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ask him what differences he can see between WoW and Diablo III, then ask him to reconsider his thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Quarkzter View Post
    Batshit crazy? Really?
    Is it massive? Is it a multiplayer game? Is is online? If yes, yes and yes, the game in question is an MMO.
    Gotta love people who think they have a clue. You don't though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Diablo 2 was more like a Lobby game which there are many of, Vindictus, Hellgate Global and Rusty Hearts come to mind. You may be limited to how many are "Instanced" with you but it is still a MMO and not just a multiplayer. A multiplayer game has X amount connected to the game at one time which is what Diablo 1 was, we use to run 4 player with a mod back in the day. MMO's might have thousands connected and in various chat channels but not actually "instanced"

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Definately not an MMO. How many people can play in the same server at the same time? 8, like in Diablo 2 (It was 8, right?)?
    actually its just 4 and your follower wont be attending in a multiplayergame either

10+ Year Old Account
    Your friend is wrong.

Massively multiplayer = playing at the same time. If it meant just the amount of people playing an online game, then every game with a multiplayer mode is an MMO.
    EverQuest, City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, EverQuest II, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Star Wars TOR, Guild Wars 2, Rift.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerain View Post
    Genre(s): Action role-playing game, dungeon crawl, hack and slash, horror.

Which I find quite describing of diablo.

if it were an MMO because a lot of people play online then almost every single online game would be MMO.

make his words my words

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Televators View Post
    Your friend is wrong.

Massively multiplayer = playing at the same time. If it meant just the amount of people playing an online game, then every game with a multiplayer mode is an MMO.
    What if they are all in the same chat room lobby where they can interact with each other like Bnet for D2? This is different than XBox Live matchmaking queue.

Multi mass online =/= the whole 4 online

Only 4 players in a game at any time so, not an MMO.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Not completely wrong. It's like a semi-MMO really. Just extremely small instances so you never see more than 3 other players at the same time. I wouldn't call it an MMO, but it's not like it's completely different either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Then by his description games like BF3 and CoD are MMO's as well, which we all know is not the case. Just because a game offers online co-op play does not make it a MMO.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    The definition of what an MMO is has become so elastic that at this point I think it's fair to argue it either way.
    Narfwak - Elemental Shaman
    <FH>
    Black Dragonflight-US

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rfwak/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    IIRC you have a maximum of four players concurrently in a game

So no, despite being always online and having an auction house, it is not an MMO
    Unless you think Left 4 Dead is also an MMO
    same thing crossed my mind if D3 is MMO then L4D must be also....so no D3 is not MMO, its a co-op game and that only if you choose so since you can play alone. While when you login in WoW...you are never alone

unless ofc you are on server where you are ally with 99% horde and you have a feeling you are alone :P