Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Personally it feels like it relys on both to an equal degree. I've read in a lot of places however that dual core CPU's are suffering in SWTOR (The now fixed PVP responsiveness issue for example).

I did a wee experiment there. My machine is an i5 2500 and my old machine that my Girlfriend uses is an AMD Pheom Tri-core 8750 (Black Ed and overclocked to 3ghz). I swapped my graphics card (560Ti, 1gb) between machines, as well as my spare - a radeon 3870HD. Result being that the Phenom with the Ti runs a little slower than the i5 with the 3870, but not a whole lot (min FPS phenom with Ti - 23, Radeon - 13, min FPS i5 ti - 43, Radeon 19). Ok it's not a perfect example. But even a good quad core cpu with a card barely above min spec struggles, basically.

You have to wonder wtf the beta testers were doing while they were testing. I know i was on the beta for a bit and you better believe i reported stuff like crazy because I didnt want what is now happening to continue. Maybe they weren't clear when they reported bugs, who knows but enough wasnt done.
    Bugs were reported they just weren't fixed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by abijax View Post
    Or fixed enough. Or left for a patch.

Some were though, so its not all nad

This is typical for game developers. They seem to treat "beta tests" as a way to generate publicity and hype, not for actual testing. Besides, these issues are fundamental to the engine architecture/implementation and catching them in the beta test phase is way, way too late to actually fix them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Skullcrack View Post
    This is typical for game developers. They seem to treat "beta tests" as a way to generate publicity and hype, not for actual testing. Besides, these issues are fundamental to the engine architecture/implementation and catching them in the beta test phase is way, way too late to actually fix them.
    Not really. They can be fixed, given time and resources. How much time is a different matter all together. The problem with beta testing is that it's always a fraction of the people who are going to actually play the game. They may have had a really smooth beta with literally like a dozen or so people complaining, it's hard to say because we don't have access to their metrics.

They may have had a really smooth beta with literally like a dozen or so people complaining, it's hard to say because we don't have access to their metrics.
    They certainly didn't, just decided (or someone decided for them) it's good enough for release.

10+ Year Old Account
    They certainly didn't, just decided (or someone decided for them) it's good enough for release.
    Proof? Again beta represent a fraction. Without having access to some form of metrics it's really hard for any of us to say yay or nay.

Imo, swtor is far more GPU based than CPU. I cant run swtor on my lap with an i7 coz it has an shitty graphiccards in it.. nvidia 540m i believe.

And the Fan of my graphiccard is much louder when i play swtor than playing BF3 on Max

But these are only my impressions without any numbers to claim that.

I think the game is HD dependent. I replaced my disk drive with a diskless SSD and it fixed so many issues that I thought was CPU or GPU related.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    Proof? Again beta represent a fraction. Without having access to some form of metrics it's really hard for any of us to say yay or nay.
    Beta represent a fraction of what? And what do metrics have to do with it? The point of a beta is not to see what percent of the population doesn't report issues but to address the ones reported.

10+ Year Old Account
    Beta represent a fraction of what? And what do metrics have to do with it? The point of a beta is not to see what percent of the population doesn't report issues but to address the ones reported.
    Metrics have everything to do with it. Do you hold back or delay the game release based on X number of people reporting Y issue? Or do you go ahead given that the fraction of people suffering from it are a minority. Total Interoperability is a nice thing to reach for in theory but in practicality is virtually impossible.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    This thread has strayed too far off topic. The OP asked if he should upgrade just his CPU or go with a new CPU/Mobo/Memory and somehow you guys are discussing the Hero Engine modified by SWTOR and it's shortfalls...